Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 02, 2012, 02:04 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Ben - very nice work on the 109. She is going to look great.

Davy - grats on the Formosa maiden - she is probably one of the very best of GWS

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:00 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Finally finished my 190 and maiden her last Friday. I have added split flaps and servoless retracts on her. She was very stable and tracked straight in the air. Interestingly I found that with the LGs down, she will bank left but stay neutral when the gears are up. Unfortunately the school did not mow its yard yet, both of the LGs were stripped out while landing on the grass, and then flip-over rubbed some paint off..anyway, consider it "weathering"...
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:18 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
You guys are making me crazy flying your Formosas.

My foam is about finished. This is my first try using Blenderm tape hinges on a GWS foamy.
They are looking OK so far. I beveled the control surfaces 45 degrees. Easy to just sand them on EPS foam. I just sprayed it with WBPC so took some pics.

Weight as shown = 6.5oz (foam only)

Bart...
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Last edited by bartricky; Apr 02, 2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:24 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Maiden my Formosa yesterday and it lasted about 4 seconds, of which 3.5 seconds was taxiing. Only damage is a broken prop and slightly crushed foam around the stick mount. Stuffed in more gorilla glue and she's ready again. It was gusty at 5 mph with winds shifting constanly, so I'm guessing a crosswind got under one of the winds right at "wheels up" and caused the crashed.

I'm going with the Towerpro 2409-12T with a GWS 9X5 EP. The very thin GWS 9 X 4.7SF vibrated at WOT and let out what sounds like a micro sonic boom, like someone's prank popping of a paper bag. But the static runup before WOT seemed normal as far as thrust pulling power and speed. I had it on for the maiden to do a low flyby and hear the boom but on second thought the vibration is bad for the airframe.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post

I'm going with the Towerpro 2409-12T with a GWS 9X5 EP. The very thin GWS 9 X 4.7SF vibrated at WOT and let out what sounds like a micro sonic boom, like someone's prank popping of a paper bag. But the static runup before WOT seemed normal as far as thrust pulling power and speed. I had it on for the maiden to do a low flyby and hear the boom but on second thought the vibration is bad for the airframe.
That motor looks like 1600KV, way too fast for a slowfly prop like the 9x4.7.
The 9x5 should work, use caution. An 8x4 might be a better choice.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:58 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
That motor looks like 1600KV, way too fast for a slowfly prop like the 9x4.7.
The 9x5 should work, use caution. An 8x4 might be a better choice.
Yup I checked the specs on Headsuprc and they also recommend 8X4. But I never fly WOT all the time, just in bursts to see top speed. It's got a factory fresh pack Turnigy 1300 mAh 30C too. I may go with a 1000 mAh 45 ~ 90C Nanotech to go even lighter.
This Formosa is for speed, the second will be for pattern flying.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Yup I checked the specs on Headsuprc and they also recommend 8X4. But I never fly WOT all the time, just in bursts to see top speed. It's got a factory fresh pack Turnigy 1300 mAh 30C too. I may go with a 1000 mAh 45 ~ 90C Nanotech to go even lighter.
This Formosa is for speed, the second will be for pattern flying.
For speed you might think about an 8x6HD. The GWS HDs are a little thicker and handle higher RPMs better. Again use caution

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ler-ONE/Detail
Last edited by bartricky; Apr 02, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:16 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
I guess I'll be ordering that 8X6 HD.
Here's a screen shot from yesterday's very quick flight. Future posted video isin the works.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
I guess I'll be ordering that 8X6 HD.
Here's a screen shot from yesterday's very quick flight. Future posted video isin the works.
I also installed a second magnet to the front of the canopy as there have been some Mosas that have lost their canopies.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:04 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
I also installed a second magnet to the front of the canopy as there have been some Mosas that have lost their canopies.
Mine came with the hook and rod type latch, pretty secure.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Mine came with the hook and rod type latch, pretty secure.
My first one had the hook but I missed the supplement sheet.
This second one doesn't have it.:
I'm reusing the old canopy from my first Mosa.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:18 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
WOW - lots of action and new planes on the thread. Grats on all the builds, guys. Hope all the maidens and re-maidens go well.

Had my Formosa 2 out tonight for 6 flights. Winds were about 10 starting out but dropped to around 5 just before dark. This airplane flies so well it is a ton of fun. I have a Power 25 on mine and she climbs straight up for a long, long way - even with the 3300 mah 3s.

I am working hard on inverted flight - have been spending most of my flight time upside down for a couple of weeks now - getting quite comfortable. Now I have to remind my self that up is up when I am flying normally . It is all soooo confusing LOL. Have my aileron and rudder high rates at 110% now - elevator at only 85% though

Have my inverted to inverted rolls down now. Working on circles and figure eights that are half upright and half inverted, outside loops with a roll at the top, rudder only turns, and starting on knife edges - really have a hard time with those still. The Mosa does it all better than I can do it. Really a good airplane.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Apr 02, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:43 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,431 Posts
bartricky, tape would not be my first choice for a new Plane. At least not one like the Mosa. Don't get me wrong that Tape is wonderful. I have it all over my FMS SkyTrainer.. I have done 30 flights with it and it sticks amazingly/surprisingly well.

However,
1. It doesn't hold the surfaces as secure as a hinge would. At high speeds that may be an issue.
2. Over time dirt gets under the edges and it looks ugly and doesn't stick anymore as well at the edges. Over time I suspect it will only get worst until eventually you/I will have to re-hinge it.

It is so easy to use nylon or CA hinges that I can't think of a reason to use the tape for a new build. I think it is best used on foam hinges that partially separate over time and you want to secure them. Control surfaces that fully break I re-hinge with nylon not tape.

Wolfe, from earlier posts, I don't understand how could it be that with the 25 you don't get unlimited vertical whereas those with the smaller ones do. It seems counter-intuitive. What gives?
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:47 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Arnav,

I am carrying a pretty heavy battery and have Parkzone ME-109 LG and wheel on mine. I suspect I do get unlimited vertical, just haven't really tried to see how far she will go straight up, so I hate to claim that. Also, it just isn't important to me. The plane flies very well and I am not trying for 3D where I would really need to "punch out" of trouble. I built this one to handle wind, and she does that very well, and is still plenty quick and agile.

I suspect that this one might actually give even better performance with a good power 15 motor and 2200 mah 3s batts. But I have no complaints with the way mine flies now, and I really like my 10 minute flight times

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Apr 02, 2012 at 08:54 PM.