HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,037 Posts
Pat

Thank you for the visual ribs. Love that carrier launch & arresting hook.

Rich
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 10:37 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Dave, you have done a terrific job on the Harrier!
Thanks Vince. Now we just need another step forward in battery technology and I'll start work on a hovering rig! I've watched Ewald Schuster spend more money than I earn on his, and still not manage it. I don't think we're far off though!
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily View Post
Well, there is alway balsa wood and scratch built models -- this is an old Velie Monocoupe Flyline kit blown up to double size. It is lighter than the equivalent in foam and much, much stronger and covered with silk and dope. These kinds of models are, for me, much more enjoyable to build and fly than the ARFs are.
One of the biggest, if not the biggest "game changer" in recent months has been the introduction of AS3X technology by HH which gives micro models the "feel" and outdoor performance of much larger models. I love my GeeBee R2 and Beast 3D because they make me look like a much better flyer than I really am. When the AS3X programmable brick becomes available I'd expect to see a real resurgence in the popularity of small balsa planes - particularly since a variety of manufacturers proving laser cut parts take away what was always, to me, the biggest chore - cutting out lots of tiny parts.

GWS, it's true, was a victim of a variety of circumstances but there were a number of things it could have invested in which would have been much less capital intensive and risky than the route it chose.

Sadly, I don't think personally think there's the slightest chance that we'll ever see a new model from GWS. And boy, would I love to be proved wrong.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:05 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,075 Posts
Actually, the demise of GWS might be my fault. My hangar eventually got full as I learned how to stop crashing so often. Also, I took a two year hiatus from flying (which meant buying no planes).

I have also noticed that my local hobby store is hurting as well.

Sorry all.
martimer is offline Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,285 Posts
Roger

The laser cut stuff is nice, but I can't stand to build one and leave all the brown burn marks of the ribs, etc. It takes longer to sand it off the parts than to cut your own with a sharp xacto.

I do like GWS planes, especially the Moth series. I hope they survive--but in case they don't I have enough spare parts to build 3 more.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest blog entry.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 01:52 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Pat,

I understand your concern but have to say that based on the one micro I've built, a Stevens Aero White Sport Monoplane there was absolutely negligible burning. I don't know whether this is a function of a clever laser or the fact that with these models they're working with only thin sheet (2mm). I'll allow that on a 100" sailplane kit I built there certainly were brown edges.

I just got notification that the Park Scale Mini Drake, which I've been waiting for, has just arrived in stock in the UK so I've pressed the button on it. Flying off water this summer, here we come!

http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=73
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:27 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
YEEEEEE-HAAAAAAA!!!!

Guess who just won a Formosa on ebay for 20
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:43 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Grats on the Formosa - great airplane

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:49 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,037 Posts
Roger

Notice how much the Drake body & tail surfaces look like a Boeing Clipper seaplane ??
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Grats on the Formosa - great airplane

Wolfe
And the best bit is, the guy lives 5 mins away from me so there's not even any postage to pay. I'm quite excited about NOT doing a scale plane. No messing about choosing a full sized one to copy, no decal sheet to make, no painting camo and weathering.
I might do a timed build against the clock!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:12 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
If you haven't done one before Davy I recommend a little reinforcement inside the cowl, especially if you're flying without l/g and I think the Formosa looks far and away better without the gear. I don't personally like the stock decals so although my last one had a basic paint scheme I plan to use self adhesive vinyl like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-A4-Ma...item3cb7179ddd

for artwork on my next one.

And what's all this about not needing to do camo on a Formosa?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:14 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Duplicate post.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,037 Posts
The orange & white Formosa looks very close to the old " Pattern ships ". Is it a very smooth stunt plane ?
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Very nice Sir, and thanks for the advice on the cowl. I'm planning on fitting an aluminum undercarriage with some little foam wheels in spats. I'd prefer it to have some undercarriage, but I do think the stock legs look rubbish
Old Mar 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
The orange & white Formosa looks very close to the old " Pattern ships ". Is it a very smooth stunt plane ?
It's a very smooth pattern type plane.
This was my first one.

Agree with reinforcing the bottom of the cowl, I flew mine w/o the gear.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Last edited by bartricky; Mar 25, 2012 at 05:29 PM.