SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Davy & Vince,

I did read a report some where on this forum, a guy got his Spit's wing folded up during a dive before flying a low flyby. He said he applied 3S on it. Better to add more reinforcements to its wing. Most of GWS generation I warbirds were released many years ago, they were certainly designed to be powered by brushed 370 motor + 9.6V only. Just my two cents.
Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:43 AM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
I am going to have to go with Chen on the subject of reinforcement on the Spitty. With my over powered 480 and 3s, I could see some wing wagging going on.

To reinforce, I would suggest two small carbon rods one on top of the wing burrowed into the foam till flush with the top, and another small rod on the bottom sitting flush. This is a great tip to get the wing super strong!
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,113 Posts
Do you guys eat & live fast food sayings ?

" Upsize it ? "

Lightweight cure for renforcement of ANY surface. Even the body.

Buy a cheap spool of Dacron braided fishing line CHEAPEST stuff is fine. Lightest pound rating is fine also.
Use the line in the bottom & top panel line grooves. You really only need 2 grooves that allow you to run the line ...COMPLETLY ...around the top & bottom of the wing in 1 piece. You can hold the line in place with temporary tape, razor slots or even a simple knot as you paint the first primer coat to hold it in place. It can also be run on the body. Tail surfaces MUST be done. Even the moving flap surfaces to eliminate flutter.
Might as well learn to do PULL _ PULL controls to eliminate slop & flutter of control surfaces.

PRIME DIRECTIVE.............Eliminate ALL...ALL weight from behind the trailing edge of the wing.
That includes thick glassing & paint layers back there. Visually, people look at the front of the plane.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
123 Posts
I just use a flat carbon fiber spar pressed into the underside of the wing and glued with foam safe CA.

And WOW Lilbanks96, I don't know how you got a 480 motor in the front end of that Spit, there is not a lot of room in there. I hope you don't have cooling problems. I can't imagine a 480 in the front end, just the weight alone seems like balancing would almost be impossible, I bet landings are hairy.

I have an AXI 2208/20 outrunner on 3S in mine with a 8X6 prop and it is very fast, has unlimited vertical. I don't think I would want it to go any faster.
buracho topspin is offline Find More Posts by buracho topspin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 09:51 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Interesting idea for the fishing line. Can you share some pictures of the completed product? Seems that you don't apply any glue except the primary coating. Is that true?
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:00 AM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,077 Posts
Just got back from the first nearly perfect day for flying that I have seen for many many months. No wind, cool temps, no people at the park, just a few bugs and my old Tiger Moth 400. I long ago swapped out the GWS 400 motor with an e-flite 400 (so it now flies on a 3s LiPo).

I have not flown this plane for a couple of years, but we remembered each other and worked together to circle the field a few times, do a few loops and rolls and a couple of handfuls of touch and go's before I had to retire because my transmitter batteries no longer hold a charge. I only got two (of the five) batteries through her.

That was a fun (but abbreviated) morning.
martimer is online now Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Just checked the inventory of Headsuprc.com, all but three GWS' kits are out of stock!!!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:24 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Just checked the inventory of Headsuprc.com, all but three GWS' kits are out of stock!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GWS-SPITFIRE...item41617a269b
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Sounds like you are doing good with the Spit Davy. Glad you are enjoying her so much.

I got out with Dave for a couple hours late this afternoon. I was flying a new Tech One Extra 330 plane, so no GWS for me today. But Dave was flying his Moth 400 and a New Islander which I had not seen fly before. I was impressed with it - seemed to have tons of power on the 2 stock brushed prop motors and it flew very well.

You don't see many Islanders around anymore.

Wolfe
You've inspired me to get mine out ready to fly tomorrow!

Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,113 Posts
Vince
The paint is the glue to hold the line in place & stop the flexing
I put it down after all filling & sanding is complete. It goes down just before the first real paint coat. I MAKE VERY SURE the line is wetted by the paint. Let that coat dry completly. It is impossible to fold a wing up with lines ON THE BOTTOM. Other parts of the plane break up first. Tail surfaces snap off just like the wings used to.

That is the problem with more power. There can be a never ending line of changes.

Want fast ? DESIGN the plane to be light BEFORE anything is done to it. I am switching to a thinned Poluurathane color as the first coat. It is tough as they come. It will not pull loose on inside or outside loops. 2 days to really dryout. If humid I tun on the window AC unit for drying. DO NOT put the plane right close to the AC. That causes a FALSE surface drying. The paint at the line can be damp & very weak from the hard surface.

Dteails details
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:04 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have a hard time envisioning a 480 on the Spitfire too - lots of motor.

Martimer - Welcome back! Sounds like you took some time off.

Davy - GREAT looking Islander - let us know how she flies

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:27 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post

Davy - GREAT looking Islander - let us know how she flies

Wolfe
Thanks Wolfe. It flies really well for a brushed plane. The only problem I have is that I wish GWS hadn't given it so much dihedral! Turning it involves aileron, then rudder, then opposite aileron to keep the bank angle scale looking. It floats in for landings sweet though, you just pull the nose up a tiny bit and drop to 1/4 throttle till it settles, then control the descent on the throttle. I could post my maiden video if you haven't seen it?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
USA, MO, O'Fallon
Joined Dec 2003
2,077 Posts
Thanks, Wolfe. It is nice to be back.

Weight is not the only issue for flying fast. If you want a fast plane you also have to reduce drag. Interestingly I flew my new ParkZone Extra 300 and Wildcat this morning and both flew a LOT faster than I expected. Neither airframe is especially light or 'smooth' so the choice of propulsion is also shown to matter. Heavier planes need more thrust and that can be achieved with proper pitch/diameter/rpm selection.

GWS planes were not really designed for speed, but for scale-like performance. The aesthetics of the plane against the sky, not performance against a radar gun. Any mod you make for more speed will require a mod for more (or redirected) strength. Not impossible and quite hobby in its own way, but if you just want to go fast there are easier way.
martimer is online now Find More Posts by martimer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:08 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,113 Posts
Fighter planes always were ...ALL engine. Everything else is secondary. Ask a fighter pilot of WW I or WW II.

To a large degree. Modern fighters are STILL flying fuel tanks.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
I really enjoyed the agileness at the low throttle of the Spit. I could make her circle around me within 30 ft in diameter BEFORE I switched the prop and ripped her wing. The reason I tried to go fast on her was because I thought Spit has the best in aerodynamic among GWS' fleet. But if I am going to build another one, I probably would keep her simple and fun to fly with my previous power setup. I already have three go fast planes and feel kind of boring by making high speed circles after a while. Honestly, I now can appreciate those planes designed for different purposes like relax flying, aerobatic or scale flying. I built a balsa J3 with 55" WS a while ago. I used to think she fly too slow and cannot turn on dime, but now I just send her up high and let her glide and relax. Next step will be adding some airborne soldiers and on board camera on her!