HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:49 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,122 Posts
Wing wiring of cargo trans brushless.

I used the heavy duty servo wire to run 3 wires to each motor. Fits easily with the fibre rod. Final Lite Weight Spackle & paint needed. 4 ..50,000 rpm turbines do sound nice as I spool them up.
I did a quick WOT hold & release the plane test.
Looked more like a carrier deck launch.
This combo does flatten the grass at WOT.
I am finishing a P-51 with a geared 12 mm Hyperion. Hand test allows it to do vertical launches. Slow vertical climb in the garage.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:50 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
My loom uses heavy duty servo wire but because it was twisted rather than the usual flat stuff I took the signal wire out and just used the red and black. Obviosly, because mine is using brushed motors, I only need the two lines.

I'm getting confused - is yours props or fans?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:38 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Here you go guys. Don't know what you've done to deserve it but there should be something here to please most of the followers of this thread....some of them are a bit cranky to load - give 'em time - you won't often see better aviation photography

http://www.yannickbarthe.ch/template...up=25&lang=1&#
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,122 Posts
It is a brushless prop job. I have the 4 ESCs right under the wing.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:56 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I'm away for a few days so the project is on hold.

Here's where we're up to. Sanding, filling and painting and some electrics plus landing gear still to do.

I've run the fans up to full power and it's clear that unlimited vertical is not on the agenda. I don't think I could get unlimited vertical even if I left the fuselage off!

It's already apparent that the wing is more heavily looaded by the fans than by the four brushed prop units and whilst it might give a pleasing imitation of an Antonov on take off with the wings going from drooped to lifting I've got a feeling that the wing itself and the motor pylons are not going to be impressed with my all too frequent landing style, so some more C/F strip is going to have to go in.

To be continued...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:05 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,122 Posts
What lifting wing airfoil ?

I just looked at the P51 wing & tail surfaces. HORRIBLE. To many DEEP panel line BREAKING up the SMOOTH LIFTING action of the surfaces. I am carefully filling in the tail & wing with spackle so I ONLY have to paint the grooves green. Not the whole surfaces....Remember 1/10 oz back there is 1/2 oz in the prop area.

I think the never started F-15 is going to get a SEVERE spackle fill in & a BRUTAL internal thinning of the walls of molded bracing................Build to fly..........NEVER to survive a crash.
Guessing I can remove at least 1/3 of the foam & do a Polyurathane skin on the outside with a few Dacron 10 # test fishing line strands for strengthening.
Go with the drive shaft, drive, for a light weight COG position of the motor & batteries. I put in a battery AT THE COG then put in the motor & drive shaft pieces , prop & spinner, so that no lead is needed if batteries are changed.
I do love building the odd balls.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 03:48 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts

Repair or retire????
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Mar 11, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,122 Posts
Definate repair ! Just a slight blemish.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Glad you got it down - looks fixable

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:36 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Davy,

Very nice to know you got it back !
It's not hard to glue/mend them back.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Mar 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Wow, that's a very long ladder! I need one of these.

I have the same dilemma now. After I got my F4U back repaired the apparent people abuse on her, she never fly the same. Now the motor seemed overheat and I am wait for new shaft and bearings to give her the last try. Anyway, yours looks much better in shape then mind. I received my F4U in a big garbage bag from the park ranger.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:01 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Thanks guys, I was pleased to get it back even though it needs a little work to get it flying again.The motors and ESCs look ok, although I haven't had time to try them out yet, so they'll probably get used in something from my GWS collection for the time being.
On that subject, I just thought I would share my experiences with the 3S Spitfire. What a difference the extra power makes! I flew it yesterday on a GWS 8x4 prop and was amazed at the climb rate after launch. I lined up for a fast pass and gave it full power but the prop started to resonate badly so I backed off
Anyway, it was a lovely day and I had a Spitfire in the air that would climb all day, so I flew it round being carefull not to give it too much throttle in a dive. I enjoyed it so much I got carried away and kept going till the low voltage cutoff kicked in! Never mind, an emergency landing a short walk away was better than landing in a tree again.
I dug out a 7x3.5 3 blade out of my spares box and fitted it ready to fly today. Now we're talking. It left my hand like a missile and I ended up having to dial in a bit of down trim to keep it level on a fast pass. The only problem I think I'm going to have is with the ailerons. At max power it feels a little bit nervous in the roll axis, I think because of the slop in the torque rods allowing a bit of flutter. Anyone else found this? I was planning on swapping the single servo for a twin set up, with the servos placed inside the under wing radiator fairings operating the ailerons directly. I'll post some pics as I go, and another flying report
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,192 Posts
Davylah: you make me want to build another Spit. GWS HD8x4 made a crazy noise at WTO on mine. and I found a MAS 8x4 or 8x6 resulted better. The ailerons were more than nervous at WTO in my case. I need to add lots of right aileron trim to fight the prop torque. I just simply thought this airframe was not designed for 200+ watt.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Mar 12, 2012, 04:49 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Davylah: you make me want to build another Spit. GWS HD8x4 made a crazy noise at WTO on mine. and I found a MAS 8x4 or 8x6 resulted better. The ailerons were more than nervous at WTO in my case. I need to add lots of right aileron trim to fight the prop torque. I just simply thought this airframe was not designed for 200+ watt.
Thanks for the prop tips, I had a feeling I was under propping it at 7x3.5 but I just wanted it back in the air. I absolutely love my Spitfire man, and I'm building another one based on a mkLFIXE with retractable gear! I think maybe above 200W is pushing it a bit, but if strengthened in the right areas, I'm sure it can be a speed machine. Get yourself one bought man, what are they, $30?!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Sounds like you are doing good with the Spit Davy. Glad you are enjoying her so much.

I got out with Dave for a couple hours late this afternoon. I was flying a new Tech One Extra 330 plane, so no GWS for me today. But Dave was flying his Moth 400 and a New Islander which I had not seen fly before. I was impressed with it - seemed to have tons of power on the 2 stock brushed prop motors and it flew very well.

You don't see many Islanders around anymore.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde