Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:01 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Are you ACTUALLY blaming GWS for all the aerobatics & ONLY 90 mph pullouts ???

You were robbed.

You received far more pleasure than you paid for.

Cut down props DO vibrate like crazy if you take them to 90ish. That could easily have broken the wing off.
GWS is good.
I am currently building a GWS 190 EPO. I found one from caliber hobby even though its website shows out of stock. I am tempted to put a big motor and 4s in her. So, my Spit was my template and became a victim of my foolishness of pursuing high speed. Yes, I have tons of pleasure with my Spit, that's why I would like to get another one. But also want to try the Texan, which is cheaper and bigger.
I blame GWS only for not bringing more model to the market, nothing else.
H&R: thanks for the info!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:42 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Are you ACTUALLY blaming GWS for all the aerobatics & ONLY 90 mph pullouts ???

You were robbed.

You received far more pleasure than you paid for.

Cut down props DO vibrate like crazy if you take them to 90ish. That could easily have broken the wing off.
GWS is good.
I don't think these GWS Spits were made to do 90mph whether he had a cut prop or not lol. I'm happy flying mine between 40 and 60mph. That's plenty for these birds.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Mar 04, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
No problem!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
40 is my maximum horzontial WOT. I tend to look at chickies walking by. Even in verticals.
Almost hit the ground pulling out. Full up at 50 +or -. ?

Have not hit yet.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
40 is my maximum horzontial WOT. I tend to look at chickies walking by. Even in verticals.
Almost hit the ground pulling out. Full up at 50 +or -. ?

Have not hit yet.
A 3mm CF rod in the wing adds very little weight, but increases sturdiness in the wing when flying them a little faster. (up around 60mph, a little more in a dive)

That's what I normally do with my GWS WWII models. Still very light, but a good strong wing so you can have some fun with them.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:17 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Got the Quadtrans EDF bits out the box - everything seems OK except I'll be surprised if the supplied wiring actually all fits together such that I don't need more, and in any case I've had a bad experience in the past with these tidgy plugs melting in the heat of the fray. Anyway, we'll see.

I'm not an EDF fan really but I'm quite looking forward to hearing those four EDF50's spool up together...
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:41 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
I'm not an EDF fan really but I'm quite looking forward to hearing those four EDF50's spool up together...
Me too! I'm definitely going to get my s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d Cargotrans out soon and get it flying. I don't quite know where I'll squeeze the LiPo in yet, the retract gear takes up all of the space in the mainwheel bay
davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
Old Mar 05, 2012, 09:58 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
My other GWS all fly under 40 mph. Just can't resist of pushing the envelope on Spit since she has the most streamline fuselage. Anyway, most of the Spit kits I found online are EPS. Only one shop sells EPO version on eBay for $59. On GWS' Chinese website the listed price is around $35, which is the exact same price for other G1 warbirds listed on HeadupRC from where I can get a P-40 for $60. Tough decision.

Roger: I admire your ambition of building Cargotrans with 4 EDFs! I probably will spend a whole day just to balance the fan. I am too lazy to build a twin. I am not a big fan of EDF either. Flying EDF is only about speed and low pass to me, but all the boys, old and young, at the school yard love to see me flying my F-16. Last Saturday a 3-year-old insisted helping me carry my plane. So I ended up let him hold my battery across the whole school yard until his father came. Quite frankly, F-16 is the plane I can bring home in one piece every time. knock on wood. My wife actually asked me to start building my F-15 and Alpha Jet, whiche have been sat in my basement for long time, because of my boy love EDFs. But I am still love my warbirds! They fly like a new plane every time I change the props or add something to them.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 10:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
123 Posts
Quote:
I am currently building a GWS 190 EPO. I found one from caliber hobby even though its website shows out of stock. I am tempted to put a big motor and 4s in her. So, my Spit was my template and became a victim of my foolishness of pursuing high speed. Yes, I have tons of pleasure with my Spit, that's why I would like to get another one. But also want to try the Texan, which is cheaper and bigger.
I blame GWS only for not bringing more model to the market, nothing else.
Vince, the FW-190 tends to be tail heavy so putting a big motor and 4S is not a bad idea. Pick a motor that is about 4 to 5 ounces and be sure to move that battery forward. If you get it balanced it will fly very well but needs a little speed to fly well anyway.
buracho topspin is offline Find More Posts by buracho topspin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 05, 2012, 11:05 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
.........Roger: I admire your ambition of building Cargotrans with 4 EDFs! I probably will spend a whole day just to balance the fan. I am too lazy to build a twin. I am not a big fan of EDF either..............
I just ran up all four by connecting them directly (individually) to a 2350 mAh 2s and they all ran sweet as a nut. Balancing fans is like stuffing mushrooms. Life's too short for either activity.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Talk about a tail heavy ?

The Spitfire is at least a 5 to 1 ratio when comparing the the distance from COG to rear & COG to nose.
I stupidly put 2 coats of Latex paint on the plane. Should have thinned the paint for the rear end of the plane. Biggery battery & ESC works fine.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
Quote:
The Spitfire is at least a 5 to 1 ratio when comparing the the distance from COG to rear & COG to nose.
I stupidly put 2 coats of Latex paint on the plane. Should have thinned the paint for the rear end of the plane. Biggery battery & ESC works fine.
You are very precise on weight! I don't even think about the weight of the paints because I am a lazy painter.

Buracho: I did enlarged the battery bay to fit a 4s1800, and made spit flaps on the wings. I will also add e-retracts so the AUW will be high. Hopefully the flaps will help slowing down.

Roger: Good to hear that GWS' fans are good. the stock fan in my FMS F16 was way out of balance. It took me two hours to make it work. Kind of waste for a $50 plane- I got it from a trade. Now I am thinking getting GWS' 68mm duct fan.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:00 AM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Minor update, completed the work up to actually joining the two fuselage halves together. Its all standard quadtrans so far except I wouldn't normally bother with the landing gear but this time I am so the tube for the nosewheel steering push/pull rod is in place.

Three tips not in the manual. I've learned the hard way in the past that if you come in hard and steep and bang her on the chin - something I'm disappointingly good at - the top of the fuselage ahead of the wing is subject to buckling compressive forces from the nose being pushed up and the wing wanting to keep going. It's a p.i.t.a.to fix so I've strengthened the fuselage in that area by letting strips of 3mm x 0.5mm c/f strip on edge into the fuselage. Just cut the recesses with a sharp scalpel blade - careful to avoid going right through. Run some thin glue into the slit (I use aliphatic resin) and then push the strips in as far as they'll go. Normally I push them to beneath the surface but because the fuselage wall is thin in this area, they're not fully home.

And I dry fitted the 2 cell lipo into the battery compartment which led to me increase the depth of the battery compartment by a mm or two.

Make sure when you glue the captive nut assemblies that the internal thread of the nut, and the external thread of the screw are vaselined so no mischievous epoxy can carry out a grab job. Two halves ready to go together now. I use a resin type glue and bear in mind the wing and battery cover retaining screws need to be left in place so no glue gets inside the nuts but make sure the screw threads are well greased so they don't get grabbed either. If you get the impression this is an area I've been in trouble before you'd be right.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
I do the LIGHT COATING of Vasaline on the bolt/ screw threads. Run it up & down the nut to protect both during assembly of the plane. IF ..you get too much grease on the nut. Well you may have to wipe it off as much as possible. Then carefully PULL some of the epoxy over the edges of the nut to hold it in place.
Nut is ALWAYS facing AWAY from the screw. Screw always pulls the nut to it.
Old Mar 06, 2012, 04:02 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
I do the LIGHT COATING of Vasaline .............Nut is ALWAYS facing AWAY from the screw. Screw always pulls the nut to it.
I'm sure there's the making of an improper joke there if I could just put my mind to it....