HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:49 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Haha, Check out this one, from this morning....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhkDo8Pwa0o
You did well to fly in with the parachute brake out! And I can forgive you a little run with the Cargotrans. You've maybe already told us but does it have stock brushed or brushless motors? If you do any sloping near you try it without the propellers on - they slope pretty well!

Tarheal I think you've proved that glassing is not a help with GWS birds. I sure I remember kensp in OZ building an Me109 with an AUW of 11.5 ounces, although I'll allow that was EPS not EPO. The only one of the small GWS birds that I've ever had to put noseweight into is the Spitfire and I normally fly mine with a 1250 3s. Zero, Me109, Corsair and P51 all fly with no ballast and either an 800 or 1000 3s. All I do these days is cut the battery compartment deeper before I glue the fuz halves together. It's out in my vehicle at the moment but later I'll weigh my P51 with its battery on board.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:59 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
You did well to fly in with the parachute brake out! And I can forgive you a little run with the Cargotrans. You've maybe already told us but does it have stock brushed or brushless motors? If you do any sloping near you try it without the propellers on - they slope pretty well!
Yeah I was pretty pleased with that myself!! I gave the standing launch a go, and even with the brushed motors, a camera, and a parachute on board, it still managed just fine. The one in the video was about 4 takes in, and the battery wasn't quite tip top, so I gave it a little helping hand, but I'll be doing the standing throw from now on.
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
You guys have more guts than I do to hand launch no matter how you do it. I WANT WHEELS so I can ROG with both thumbs already on the sticks.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
I think some planes are more suitable for hand launching than the others. I am a lefty so I can have my right thumb on the right stick that helps!

But, to the credit to Davylah, it was my first time to see a "brushed" C-130 launched by hand! Maybe that little jogging is the secret recipe!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,037 Posts
I screwed up.

I made the power system too light!!
Feigao 10 Amp ESC.
Hyperion12 mm Motor
12 mm gear box
Cheetah 850 mahr 3 cell
APC E 7 x 5
prop adaptor 3 mm x 6 mm

I need the battery almost behind the motor. Damm! All that skimping on weight !!
I hate Dremel & Knife gouging.

Is this my fate for being over the hill & sliding down the back side faster each year ?
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
You guys have more guts than I do to hand launch no matter how you do it. I WANT WHEELS so I can ROG with both thumbs already on the sticks.

Wolfe
I know how you feel. I prefer to ROG simply because I like watching a plane take off "o natural", but when weight is an issue, or it already comes as a "belly lander" then I give it the old toss and grit your teeth, hoping you make it back to the sticks before something bad happens. Usually the maiden flight is the scary one. You have no idea what to expect.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,037 Posts
Why we keep spare parts

Found a DuBro 1 1/2 " plastic spinner. No butchery. Happy feet.

Rain in N J for another day. The P-51 looks fine for another day.

How light has 1 of us made a P-51 ready to fly. Removing foam to lighten allowed ?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:31 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I think some planes are more suitable for hand launching than the others. I am a lefty so I can have my right thumb on the right stick that helps!

But, to the credit to Davylah, it was my first time to see a "brushed" C-130 launched by hand! Maybe that little jogging is the secret recipe!
Well check this one out!!!

GWS Cargotrans Hand Launch (0 min 11 sec)

Of course, it doesn't always work - Especially if you leave the soft start enabled, and dial loads of up trim in by mistake!!

Video replaced with HD version
Last edited by davylah; Mar 03, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:32 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Both decent launches Davy - one just didn't want to fly - they get like that.

H & R - I don't buy them if they don't come with wheels - I like to ROG and Land - half the fun at least.

Windy here all weekend it looks like - went over to the field tonight, but decided not to risk it.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Mar 02, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,037 Posts
Dave

The plane looked perfectly balanced,left & right. No dropping of either tip. It also looked good on power.
I would do a critical checkout of the C O G point. The elevator looked level just before launch. I can only come up with a tail heavy plane. Those were some of the tighest vertical rolls I have ever seen from a hand launch.
I would almost say you had FULL UP interference somehow.. If you went WOT before you started running foward. The ESC should have wound up to full speed by the time you released it. It should have stayed a lot more level even with 1/2 power. Did the battery slide backward somehow ? Then foward on landing ?
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:31 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
H & R - I don't buy them if they don't come with wheels - I like to ROG and Land - hal the fun at least.

Wolfe
I agree, a lot of the fun is taking off and landing. After all, flying is optional... but landing is mandatory!

Mine as well master take-offs/landings, considering that's where 90% of all aircraft accidents/damage takes place.

The other 10% is a combination of evil trees that jump out and catch our planes, and of course pilot error and electronics malfunctions of some kind.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,037 Posts
I agree with wheels on a plane. But I would want them to retract while flying. I realize that sturdy lightweight systems do not exist for the 3' WS planes once they are glassed & have wing bomb & rocket loads on them. 1 not perfect landing does them in very often.

Problem is that kits & ARF / RTF do not have a strong enough main wing spar to absorb the shock of rough landings. Actually 2 spars are needed to spread the stress over a bigger area of the wing / body of the plane.

The GWS Transport is a RARE landing gear setup. Scale like & it can take scale like errors.
Old Mar 03, 2012, 02:56 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
If the full size version of my aircraft has retractable gear then I fly without landing gear just because it offends me to see fixed gear hanging down in flight, and I regard lightweight retracts as too flimsy and not lightweight enough. It also means that I can fly in the field at the bottom of my garden whereas I have quite a drive to a model flying field where there's a landing strip. I see lots of videos of people flying off public highways - I'd be very reluctant to do that.

Unfortunately it seems that most of my recent builds or buys, Grasshopper, Beaver, GeeBee R3, GeeBeeR2, Beast 3D, Tiger Moth, SE5A, White Monoplane all come with fixed gear and there's no doubt at all that flying ROG on a maiden flight is kind of comforting but it is a p.i.t.a. that I can't fly them where I fly my bellylanders. The exceptions are the micro GeeBeeR2 and the Beast because although you know you're going to be faced with a controlled crash they're light enough, and you can slow them down enough to be pretty sure they're not going to get damaged on landing.

I fly mode 2 and I fly with mixed rudder/aileron (-100% on a Spektrum DX) so a hand launch is no big deal. Hold the plane in the left hand for an underarm launch, open throttle with teeth and thumb on right stick gives me instant pitch and roll control. Those aircraft I have to launch like this have all got a power weight ratio that sees them climbing away at once. In fact one of the biggest breakthroughs I experienced when I was learning was that if everything is going up in short order closing the throttle is almost certainly the cleverest thing to do.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:56 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Dave

The plane looked perfectly balanced,left & right. No dropping of either tip. It also looked good on power.
I would do a critical checkout of the C O G point. The elevator looked level just before launch. I can only come up with a tail heavy plane. Those were some of the tighest vertical rolls I have ever seen from a hand launch.
I would almost say you had FULL UP interference somehow.. If you went WOT before you started running foward. The ESC should have wound up to full speed by the time you released it. It should have stayed a lot more level even with 1/2 power. Did the battery slide backward somehow ? Then foward on landing ?
Well the full story about the elevators is this:
I originally fitted the elevator servo with a horn I had in my spares box and it turned out to be too short, and only gave very small deflection. To try and get away with it, I wound up every setting on my transmitter to try and get the most travel out of the servo, but it wasn't enough. So I ordered a new longer servo arm and completely forgot to dial it back down! I put a bit of up trim in before launch, but it moved the surface far more than it should have because of the rates I had set. When I've studied the video (free from youtube's quality hit) it's obvious as I run past the camera that the elevator is deflected up as much as some of my planes on full stick!! I don't know how I missed it, it seems like such a 'school boy error' now!! Never mind, at least it didn't roll over and destroy itself.
On the subject of CG, I think it was a tiny bit rearward, but I don't think it was the cause. I don't think it would have nosed down when I got my hand to the stick if it had been CG but I've moved it forwards slightly, just to be sure for next time. I've also disabled the 'soft start' on the ESC!!
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:24 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Sorry guys, the HD version wouldn't upload to Youtube even after I deleted the original. It keeps telling me it's a duplicate video