HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:50 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Nice videos Davy. I love your little co-pilot and she seemed to like the parachute drop. Used to do that with a modified Beaver when my grandkids were about her size. Now those same kids are flying with me on the buddy box - you may have another pilot in the family soon.

Both of your planes looked good in the air. Looks to me like the Spit does fine on the 2s batteries.

Was windy when we started out today but dropped to pretty calm just before dusk. Got in 4 batteries on the Mosa 1 while the winds were up - that one doesn't seem to mind 10 mph much.

Lots of pilots showed up around dinner time so we had to start taking turns. Did get in a nice pre-dusk flight on the Stearman which is flying pretty well now that she has the plywood struts. This was the first calm air I have tried her in and I liked the way she flew.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:55 PM
Will race for parts!
United States, WA, Chehalis
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
Phase one of the insignia.
Kiiski is offline Find More Posts by Kiiski
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:49 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Mar 2010
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
Here is my latest build, GWS ME-109, fully glassed, turning a 9050 on a HURC 2410-12D with a 30A esc and 1600mah battery. I just got it together today, hoping to maiden, weather permitting this weekend. I need to get the CG on it though. May have to add weight to the nose. Don't have an auw yet, hopefully it isn't too much of a brick. I painted it with model masters rattle cans.
AUW is 19.5 oz. Not as bad as I thought, that is with a 1650 mah battery. Still working on CG, any suggestions as to the best CG for the 109?
tarheal63 is online now Find More Posts by tarheal63
Old Mar 02, 2012, 02:48 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
AUW is 19.5 oz. Not as bad as I thought, that is with a 1650 mah battery. Still working on CG, any suggestions as to the best CG for the 109?
I'd just go 10mm forward of what GWS suggest. Every GWS plane I've had has had this rule applied to it, and it works for me
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:47 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Please note, the follwing videos contain scenes of an 'unedited' nature

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LfI574wnk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBm5OoGfVyU
Great videos but what's with the run to launch the Spitfire? The critical launch procedure with all my GWS small warbirds which are standing still handlaunched at around 45 degrees upwards is to remember to let go as you open the throttle, or they give you a nasty wrench in the wrist
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 02, 2012, 04:16 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
Great videos but what's with the run to launch the Spitfire? The critical launch procedure with all my GWS small warbirds which are standing still handlaunched at around 45 degrees upwards is to remember to let go as you open the throttle, or they give you a nasty wrench in the wrist
I know, I get told this by so many people but it's just how I do it
I wish I could get out of the habit and just trust that a standing throw will be enough, especially as I don't like to see myself running on video!!!
I'm off out this morning with the Hercules to film some clips to cut together into a proper movie. I'm going to try and shoot the parachute coming out of the ramp with my flycam taped under the wing, looking backwards. I'll try the standing throw too
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:00 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Quote:
I'd just go 10mm forward of what GWS suggest. Every GWS plane I've had has had this rule applied to it, and it works for me
On the maiden, pick a long runway and maybe lift off for a second and touch down right away. It'll tell you if it's fighting the extra weight. The extra weight and modified forward CG is going to be interesting. What prop size and KV?

I know my Me109 needed a much longer takeoff roll when I experimented with a heavier battery and fwd CG and was nearly impossible to hand launch. After several crashes, I just flew without the LG and she's a beautiful belly lander on short grass.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Mar 02, 2012, 05:16 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
On the maiden, pick a long runway and maybe lift off for a second and touch down right away. It'll tell you if it's fighting the extra weight. The extra weight and modified forward CG is going to be interesting. What prop size and KV?

I know my Me109 needed a much longer takeoff roll when I experimented with a heavier battery and fwd CG and was nearly impossible to hand launch. After several crashes, I just flew without the LG and she's a beautiful belly lander on short grass.
But remember, a nose heavy plane will fly badly, a tail heavy plane will fly once!
Old Mar 02, 2012, 06:32 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Quote:
But remember, a nose heavy plane will fly badly, a tail heavy plane will fly once!
True. Every GWS foamie is designed to be as light as possible and flies near its optimum performance envelope when the wing loading is close to factory specs.

I have nine GWS models, and most have extra weight, not by choice but by neccesity as in crash repairs, epoxy, fibercloth, etc... the model never flies the same as the maiden and early flights when wing loading was light.

The elevator on the Me109 seems to have little tolerance for extra weight or adjusted CG. In my experience with my heavy Me109 (estimated 18oz) , 2 mm forward or aft makes it too pitchy or too unresponsive.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:07 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
True. Every GWS foamie is designed to be as light as possible and flies near its optimum performance envelope when the wing loading is close to factory specs.

I have nine GWS models, and most have extra weight, not by choice but by neccesity as in crash repairs, epoxy, fibercloth, etc... the model never flies the same as the maiden and early flights when wing loading was light.

The elevator on the Me109 seems to have little tolerance for extra weight or adjusted CG. In my experience with my heavy Me109 (estimated 18oz) , 2 mm forward or aft makes it too pitchy or too unresponsive.
Probably best to go with stock CG then. I haven't built my ME109, so I don't have your experience, I was just going on what I found with my other GWS models. I'd hate to be responsible for a nose dive on maiden!
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:27 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,105 Posts
I have a different approach to first flights.
2' deep unused grass / weeds. If you can find a area with " Orchard Grass " use it. It is a tall almost blonde / light brown / straw like grass . It has NO GREEN to it.. It is perfect for kneeling down or squating hand launch tosses to find the perfect glide angles. Prop removed, controls in neutral. Battery DISCONNECTED. Goal is for a shallow down angle glide. Then do it standing up.
OK
You have accomplished 2 things. Plane can do a no power landing with ease. & you KNOW you can hand launch it anytime anywhere.I do that routine even with the 2 below.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:34 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
I know, I get told this by so many people but it's just how I do it
I wish I could get out of the habit and just trust that a standing throw will be enough, especially as I don't like to see myself running on video!!!
I'm off out this morning with the Hercules to film some clips to cut together into a proper movie. I'm going to try and shoot the parachute coming out of the ramp with my flycam taped under the wing, looking backwards. I'll try the standing throw too
Another of my completely O/T videos but I thought perhaps it might inspire you to try launching yourself as well to follow the plane. Action starts at about 1 min 15 seconds.
Chinese Scenes (4 min 2 sec)

Looks as though it would be fun although with an extremely high pucker factor and I can imagine it would be possible to run up quite a laundry bill too.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Mar 02, 2012, 08:50 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
Another of my completely O/T videos but I thought perhaps it might inspire you to try launching yourself as well to follow the plane. Action starts at about 1 min 15 seconds.
http://player.vimeo.com/video/31481531?autoplay=1

Looks as though it would be fun although with an extremely high pucker factor and I can imagine it would be possible to run up quite a laundry bill too.
Haha, Check out this one, from this morning....

GWS Cargotrans Parachute Snag! (1 min 2 sec)
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:11 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Nice flight, Davy

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Mar 2010
170 Posts
Well, I ended up cutting a hatch in the nose of my bird to accomodate the battery all the way in the nose just behind the motor. Otherwise, I would have had to add a bunch of weight to accomplish CG, now all I have to do is figure out how to attach the hatch back on so it is easy to remove. Oi vey. Hated to cut her like that, but it was the only option I could see.
tarheal63 is online now Find More Posts by tarheal63