Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:49 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
GWS 400C ratios range from 2.14 up to 6.30

At 6.30 bricks can go vertical & OOS.

Gearboxes are for guys who love fine details & loads of operating features. Like Robart L G.
Interesting. I have a 400C ratio 3.0 gear box lying around. I used to think direct-drive set up is more straight forward and powerful. So I just simply divide the recommended KV of a geared motor by gear ratio, then find a substitute motor. In your example, I would find an outrunner with KV ranging between 1100 and1200 (3500/3). I think this way would give direct-drive system equivalent performance, or better (less friction) at WOT versus a geared system; but I suspect the mid-range performance will be marginal. Have you done any comparison?

You are right, Zero has fully covered LG, which is too difficult to accomplish in a small warbird like GWS'. I already regretted adding retracts on mine that turned a nice flying plane to an okay one.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:23 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
If you want a really good geared motor for you GWS Plane, get this one....

http://www.maxxprod.com/pdf/HG20xx-xx66.pdf

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:02 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Just did this to my TN Mosquito today:

So I decided to get my 'Old Faithfull' GWS Spitfire out and carve up the sky. Here are a few screenshots from the video I'm trying to upload

davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:21 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,747 Posts
I hate when trees jump out and catch my plane.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:37 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
They never seem to land in the low branches, do they?

Wolfe
Old Feb 28, 2012, 01:10 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
I hung my Corsair on a tree at a nearby park and couldn't get her down last Monday. Left my number to the park ranger, got a phone call on Wednesday that the plane was found on the ground. Picked her up " in pieces" later that day and found strange things like broken shaft, not bent but broke, all the wires to the RX were unplugged, etc. Guess someone found the plane earlier and decided to try if she was a free flight plane. I am thinking about getting a cat, or a monkey and train it for rescue mission.

Wolfewinde, the performance numbers on Himax are impressive. I have never thought about a 3 oz motor with gear box can produce 42 oz thrust at 15A. I mainly use TP 2409 in my GWS g1 but get tired of fixing bent shafts all the time, even for smooth belly landing. Do you think a gear box is more vulnerable to belly landing? stripped teeth perhaps?
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have had good luck with them and the nice thing about HiMax is they send the motor with three different gears - different ratios - and stock extra parts. Usually the prop shaft coming out of the gear box breaks if anything does. Order a couple of extras of those - easy to fix.

HiMax makes a top notch motor - I have some still in airplanes 10 years later.

I have them in three of my GWS Planes now. The Mosa1 has unlimited vertical. Also have one in my Moth 400 and Stearman.

Plus they sound cool - they growl at you when the come by LOL. And they were made for GWS stick mounts so they fit in perfectly and match up with the cowl openings most of the time

Wolfe
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:49 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Davylah,

Sorry to know that your Mosquito landed on the top of the tree. Did you get it down finally ?

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,075 Posts
Bonus

The gearbox parts take a beating in the crash. Not your favorite motor.
I use a LOT of 12 mm Hyperion 5980 KV motors in The BP Hobby gearboxes. Broke gears But NEVER a bit of the $ 28 Hyperions. The Hypers are very LONG inrunners. That shape usually get more watts out than short motors. I run the Hypers all the time at + 50,000 rpms loaded. They weigh 1/10 oz. more than ISP motors, but put out several times the usefull power.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 28, 2012, 05:56 PM
Will race for parts!
United States, WA, Chehalis
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit N Run View Post
Lookin' good! I can't wait to see the end result.

What size motor are you using?
A hyperion z2213
Kiiski is offline Find More Posts by Kiiski
Old Feb 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiski View Post
A hyperion z2213

Oh yeah, that's a good outrunner! I've used one on a Sniper 3-D foamy that I had awhile back.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Got out very late this afternoon and got in 2 Mosa 1 flights and a couple of MPX Gemini flights. Wind died down to almost nothing at dusk, nice sunset, good company with Russ and Dave.

Dave had some good flights on his Moth 400 and Corsair - both look good in the air but that Moth 400 is really special. Hopefully we will have some videos to post soon.

Russ had a couple of good flights on his Easy Star

Sometimes it is just really nice to be at the field.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 28, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Mar 2010
166 Posts
Here is my latest build, GWS ME-109, fully glassed, turning a 9050 on a HURC 2410-12D with a 30A esc and 1600mah battery. I just got it together today, hoping to maiden, weather permitting this weekend. I need to get the CG on it though. May have to add weight to the nose. Don't have an auw yet, hopefully it isn't too much of a brick. I painted it with model masters rattle cans.
tarheal63 is online now Find More Posts by tarheal63
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:12 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,075 Posts
Kiiski

How does the bigger Hyper do compared to other motors ? same prop.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 29, 2012, 08:31 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Really nice, Tarheal. Good luck on the maiden. Let us know how she flies.

Wolfe