HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
The P-40 is definitely much better with the 9 x7.5 prop - lost my hatch cover though.
Aww man, did you find the hatch before you packed up for the evening? I lost the hatch on my P-51 one late afternoon. I was flying it waaaaaay out there near the edge of the field and I saw if pop right off in mid-flight. I was like !!!

Luckily nothing else came out of the hatch, but I still had to order a replacement. Although, I DID make a temp hatch out of a chunk of EPS foam I had laying around. It did the job, but it was ugly as sin! A mustang looks funny with no cockpit/canopy.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I didn't find it. I will look more next time I go out there, but it is probably in the trees. I didn't see it come off, so I have no idea where to look, really. I will just make another, probably.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:31 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Under places to fly..

This was my Jr. Hawk flying off the beach at the end of my street. Pretty but the beach is small and mostly a downwind landing which can be tricky. In fact at the end of this video I tip stalled and ended up in the drink.

BTW: I will be around Fort De Soto next weekend but assisting friends at the start of the Water Tribe Kayak Race, so won't have much time to goof off.

WARNING video not edited

KLK Hawk Water (9 min 53 sec)
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:41 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Very scenic country - it does look like it would be tough to land back on that beach - no room for error.

Wolfe
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Very scenic country - it does look like it would be tough to land back on that beach - no room for error.

Wolfe
I had put floats on my Slow Stick and tried it off the beach. Between the wind and tides it was very hard to taxi without a water rudder and the saltwater destroys a plane in no time.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:47 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
I had put floats on my Slow Stick and tried it off the beach. Between the wind and tides it was very hard to taxi without a water rudder and the saltwater destroys a plane in no time.
I saw a lot of water front houses with private deck in their backyard, nice!

I used to be an actively boater, went fishing and lived on a boat sometimes in the Summer. Monday I flew my Zero and F-16 in front of my boating friends, they asked me if I can put a net on top of a boat to retrieve to planes so we can have both boating and flying this summer. Has anyone ever done that? I have seen people put floats on the Zero, looks very cool. I think the floats will work fine on Delaware River but not on Atlantic Ocean. Correct?
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:25 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,036 Posts
Delaware River is fine. I fly at Frenchtown, N J.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Delaware River is fine. I fly at Frenchtown, N J.
Good to hear that. I am from South Jersey. I did a lot of waveboarding on Delaware river between Bordentown and Trenton, out side the Thunder Stadium. Once I actually saw a real seaplanes with NY license practicing touch and go over there. That was super cool. The plane was no bigger than a 25 footer and I did not even hear it coming until it landed about 200 feet away from my boat.

Where can I get the float for Zero? I would like to try it on my best-behaved plane.
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:20 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Just noticed that Heads Up RC has J-3 Cubs listed in stock plus a few others in case anyone is interested

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...its/Categories

They also have a float set for an MPX Mini Mag in stock that would probably work on a Zero

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ltiplex/Detail

Wolfe
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Just noticed that Heads Up RC has J-3 Cubs listed in stock plus a few others in case anyone is interested

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...its/Categories

They also have a float set for an MPX Mini Mag in stock that would probably work on a Zero

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ltiplex/Detail

Wolfe
Score!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 04:30 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
You could have your genuine original GWS floats from the same place - and cheaper http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...oat-Set/Detail

Very frustrating to see a GWS J3 SG for $24 but be the wrong side of the pond to get it.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 22, 2012, 05:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Yeah - that is a very good price and their shipping is always reasonable too. I was thinking about getting one for the grand kids, but i just got a couple new planes for them

Wolfe
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
You could have your genuine original GWS floats from the same place - and cheaper http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...oat-Set/Detail

Very frustrating to see a GWS J3 SG for $24 but be the wrong side of the pond to get it.
After building a set of GWS floats I think I would opt for the MPX floats if I were to do it again. The GWS are a pain to keep from leaking.

Check out... http://www.seaplanesupply.com/electric.htm
Old Feb 22, 2012, 06:20 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
After building a set of GWS floats I think I would opt for the MPX floats if I were to do it again. The GWS are a pain to keep from leaking.

Check out... http://www.seaplanesupply.com/electric.htm
I would have to 2nd that statement!

The price is great, but you get what you pay for!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Yes, to keep GWS float set from leaking is tricky if you apply epoxy only. I applied silicon glue for making the floats water tight years ago for my buddy. The silicon glues are available at store that sells
car accessories or even housewares. You'll find out many of them on their shelves.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen