Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Roger,

Nice sailplanes + nice videos with nice musics ! I envy you, you have beautiful slopes.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
In general, I appreciate anyone and everyone who is willing to go to the extra trouble of creating and posting any video. You don't have to watch them if you aren't interested, and you can skip through them if they are too long and start to get boring to you.

In the case of Bartricky and most of Dave's video, you at least get to see where they fly, which I always like

The end part of Dave's video shows a GWS airplane from the "In-flight perspective" of another airplane in flight. Those are always my favorites. And, Oh Yeah, that is "MY" Tiger Moth so I have to give Dave's video a top score LOL.

Keep those "Substandard Videos" coming guys!!!

That is not to say the you aren't making some good points, Roger. But I would rather have the chance to view any video than have people not feel comfortable to post them because they don't have the time to do massive editing.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 21, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:55 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Dave,

Thank you for the nice videos, too.

Wolfe,

I'd second your idea, It's nice to view the edited video, and I'm also pleased to view video that was not edited.

Thank you all friends who ever posted video here !

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Entirely agree with you Wolfe and my primary purpose was to encourage debate (which might lead to people developing new ideas and approaches) not to discourage people from posting.

As you say we all have a choice as to what we watch - I just believe in encouraging by others' examples. I thought the first video I made was going to be really good - it was my Spitfire and I did a full "airshow" routine. Unfortunately, when I came to view it all you could see, and even then you had to look very carefully, was what looked like a tiny speck of fly creeping round the screen
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:29 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
OK,OK
Same park with music.
Taken from a Jr. Hawk sold by Caliber (GWS)
One of my first keychain flights.

WINDY day camera test (4 min 6 sec)
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:40 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
What battery sizes do you guys find most useful?

I tend to run 1300 3s or 1800 3s in all my GWS planes except the Pico Moths - those are 800 or 1000 2s. And I run 3300 3s in the big Formosa. I don't fly WOT much, so I am getting 6 - 10 minutes flight times on most of the planes. I have batteries on the brain since I am busy charging up a bunch of mine to get ready to fly this afternoon - weather looks good - under 5 mph - rare lately

You have a nice place to fly, Bartricky. Our City Field at Dunedin doesn't have that much open space and is surrounded by trees that consume a steady diet of airplanes LOL.

Roger - Like you, I generally prefer videos taken from the ground over on-board videos. I do tend to like the on-board better if the view includes part of the plane so you can judge ground perspective better. I especially like the view through the main LG like Dave had on his video. Music? - sometimes - depends on the music.

My favorite , though, are videos of one plane in flight taken from another plane in flight - you don't see too many of those.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 21, 2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Wolfe,

About all I use these days are 2s and 3s 1300's.
Largest plane flying is the Formosa1 and mostly use about 380 motors propped to around 200W.

I bring them down between 11 and 12 minutes. The Superfly and Jr. Hawk will stay up longer using 2s 1300.

Mostly been flying in a schoolyard as of late, 3 miles away compared to about 18 miles to the nice park in the videos.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:06 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,666 Posts
Batteries...I too seem to always have batteries on my mind. Mainly, which to make sure are charged for flying at a moment's notice. My GWS planes have 2s 1000-1300 MAH for the pico cub, 1300 3s for the C-47 (for now) and also for my foamie T-6. I also have a few 900 mAh 3s from my UFLY S hotrod flying days, which do double duty when I am out of the 1300 3s....Then there are the bevy of 3s 2200 mAh for ...others... and the two 4s 2650, and 2200 for the vampire. I recently bought a new charger that will go up to 6s batteries, but these things all scare me to death. I have had two packs puff, one to full meltdown (BOTH ALL MY FAULT BTW) and my pico cub still has the scars. So...I always charge mine in the garage, on a steel surface with NO combustables anywhere near. Makes for a lot of trips out to the garage....but more peace of mind. I do have a question: What program(s) are easy to edit videos? For adding music, cut off parts not wanted, adding other video, etc? All my videos are "raw" because I just don't know how. Any suggestions for a barely computer literate guy???-------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Feb 21, 2012, 01:18 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I can't help on video editing since i don't know how to do it either.

I always charge outside in the driveway from my truck battery just to be safe. I never take lipo's in the house. Have not had any meltdowns, but if I do, I want it to be outside.

Painting red wingtips on the Mosa 2 - top of wing. Hopefully I can see her better. She was all white on top and she disappears in a cloudy sky. They should be dry in time to fly her later this afternoon.

Mail just delivered the motor/esc for the Beaver. Hope to get that one done this week.

Wolfe
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Now that's weird Wolfe - postie delivered my motor/esc for my Beaver today! Sadly it's not a GWS one, though.

I use 800 or 1000 3s in all my smaller GWS warbirds except the Spitfire which uses a 1250 3s, same as my larger GWS warbirds. Picomoth uses 450 2s. I can remember the first one I built - used a 150 6 cell Nicad. Good for about 90 seconds if you were really lucky!

The biggest batteries I have are 2200 3s.

And the best duration - I flew an E-starter deliberately looking for endurance - can't honestly remember what size battery but it was up for so long that I got a crick in my neck as well as being hugely bored. It was at 25 minutes that I decided I'd be better lying on my back in the grass. I have no idea exactly when it was I went to sleep but it was at 35 minutes that I woke up again and it took me quite some time to find the wreckage!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:04 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Metalguy

I use the Windows Vista Home version which has windows movie maker on it. I'm not even remotely anything other than a complete beginner with it but I manage with that. Sounds stupid but maybe pick the music you want first because once you know how long that's going to be you have an idea how long you want your movie to be!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
OK,OK
Same park with music.
Taken from a Jr. Hawk sold by Caliber (GWS)
One of my first keychain flights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO-yA...5&feature=plcp
Enjoyed that a whole bunch more! Well done!
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Roger - GREAT storie!!! Still laughing

It's been a very long time since I flew an E-Starter.

Wolfe
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:12 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Just got back from the City Field. I like that days are getting longer - can fly until about 6:30 pm now. I would rather fly late afternoon/early evening than morning when the winds allow it. Was pretty calm tonight - wind dropped down to almost nothing for the last couple of flights of the day.

Ran 2 batteries each through the P-40, the Mosa 2, and my 3DHS Edge. The Edge always flies great. The P-40 is definitely much better with the 9 x7.5 prop - lost my hatch cover though. And the Mosa 2 is always nice to fly - could see her better with the top side wing tips painted.

Was working on inverted to inverted rolls today, inverted eights and rudder turns. Spent a fair amount of time just cruising as the sun went down and enjoying the serenity of the setting.

Was a good night

Wolfe.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
Enjoyed that a whole bunch more! Well done!
Thanks Roger,

You can't tell it from my videos but I used to do some work with a video studio.
Everybody loved to do three camera shoots but we just hated to edit anything and I still do. I still have my 3 chip Sony cam but it doesn't go outdoors as I still use it for some work.

The online editors are fine. I use a downloaded AVS Video Editor which is fairly simple to use.

If I may add one of my pet peeves to Rogers list, it's those those digital wipes and fancy transitions between scenes. I just can't watch them as they are so annoying.
A simple cut or fade is all you need between scenes.

OK, back to GWS