HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:54 AM
Tennessee
Joined Jan 2004
45 Posts
Beaver Site

Wolfe,

Noticed you were considering starting a GWS beaver build. I just finished one made from parts that I picked up from two or three sites. Here is a link that I found full of Beaver build info. Also some of the ideas would apply to any of the foam builds.

http://parisjunctionhobbies.com/gwsbeaver

I've been reading and enjoying this thread for some time. I mostly just read and don't post much, but thought this site might be helpful.

Bill
Kinda Wild Bill is offline Find More Posts by Kinda Wild Bill
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2012, 11:09 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Thanks, Bill

Looks like a lot of good info on that site.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:59 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,210 Posts
Twitchy planes

Usually are short nosed. Or COG is to far back.

Cute ones are short nosed & have the flying COG too far back.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:29 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well we got out this afternoon for a couple of hours. Was pretty windy at first - 10ish and gusting. The Moth 400 and Stearman were bouncing around a lot - Dave's Corsair flew well, though. Wind died down progressively as the afternoon wore on - the last couple of flights were pretty calm. Got in 4 batteries on the Stearman and and 3 on the Moth.

The Moth flew very well - no surprise there, I guess. The Stearman flew much better than she did with the plastic struts, still, not as smooth as the Moth. The Moth 400 is the better flying airplane, but I just like the way the Stearman looks in the air, even if she is not as smooth.

Anyway - was a good afternoon and it's nice to have these 2 planes back in the air.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 20, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:23 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Wolfe,

Congratulations to the new maiden ! Did you check the wings on Stearman ? You mentioned that they were not straight enough after having the ply struts installed.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:33 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Yeah - they still have a little twist in them. Leading edge of the upper wing near the wing tips is twisted down slightly. Did not seem to affect flight all that much - she yawed a little more through the turns than she should have, but that was about all I noticed. It was an improvement over the flexible plastic struts in any case, so no real complaints.

Wolfe
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:36 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Well we got out this afternoon for a couple of hours. Was pretty windy at first - 10ish and gusting. The Moth 400 and Stearman were bouncing around a lot - Dave's Corsair flew well, though. Wind died down progressively as the afternoon wore on - the last couple of flights were pretty calm. Got in 4 batteries on the Stearman and and 3 on the Moth.
Wolfe
Wolfe,

I still have my 7 year old GWS Stearman with Ply Struts and it flys fantastic!! It flys different than the Tiger Moth (TM400), yes, but, this is expected with or without the ply struts as the Stearman has lots of drag due to it's fat FUSE and lack of swept back wings like the Tiger Moth.

Some pictures of recent Flight History on my GWS Stearman!!!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Nice looking plane, Pitts

I would not say my Stearman is fantastic, but she flies well enough now, and I have always liked the looks of a Stearman.

Wolfe
Old Feb 20, 2012, 09:51 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Nice looking plane, Pitts

I would not say my Stearman is fantastic, but she flies well enough now, and I have always liked the looks of a Stearman.

Wolfe
Wolfe,

I aim for SCALE Flight and my GWS Stearman does that in the most super manner!! This is why I say it flys fantastic because it meets all my expectations.

It has a Hyperion Inrunner in Plastic Gearbox (Similar to GWS EPS-350 type) and it swings the GWS Hyper 11 X 7 propeller and it slows down slower than my slow stick while applying some UP Elevator and it passes the Pilots station with a very realistic manner and that Geared Brushless makes the coolest sound.

Regards,
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:15 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Another GWS Stearman - SUPER STEARMAN!

This one is more like a GWS SUPER STEARMAN as it has been modified with brushless and a Super Stearman Cowl.

The model was owned by a long lost buddy named Jim (Fishdeth).

Here is Jim's Build Thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223967
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
Zupp Dave
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
That video is uploading right now to youtube. I will post it here once it is published there
Mooneypilot60h is offline Find More Posts by Mooneypilot60h
Last edited by Mooneypilot60h; Feb 21, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 07:30 AM
Zupp Dave
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Me and Wolfe Sunset flight and dogfight

Wolfe and I were out at our park last night. Here is a video I shot with my Super Cub.

Cub at Sunset (6 min 24 sec)
Mooneypilot60h is offline Find More Posts by Mooneypilot60h
Last edited by Mooneypilot60h; Feb 21, 2012 at 07:33 AM. Reason: embedding problem
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:22 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Here's my FormosaI at a local park..
Mosa edit.wmv (5 min 35 sec)
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:55 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
This is NOT intended as an unkind commentary on the two videos just posted but they reminded me of a thread that we ran in the old GWS forum when a forum member, Ministeve, was engaged on a plan to replace the unspeakably crappy GWS "official" videos with stuff that was a better quality and more watchable.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=video

I'm wondering if it is worth having a discussion about r/c model videos and if so whether here, or the broader Parkflyer forum is best?

Without having re-read the thread above I seem to recollect that points raised were :

Length - not more than two minutes?

Keeping the model close in (or using a long lens and movie tripod)

Decent sound track - suitable music is much better than the sound of an outrunner buzzing away or for that matter some excitable chatter in the background

If possible mixing onboard and ground shots. I've got to say, and this may very well be just me, that I don't find onboard shots much fun unless I can relate them back to the something on the ground.

The "credits" should include technical details of the plane.

I say again- this is not a criticism of others' videos, they just served to start a thought process in my mind and I'm interested in others' thoughts.

As an example of what I think is a real good one I've selected one published by Chris Williams who is an acknowledged whizzo in not only designing and building large scale sailplanes but also in video. Plus he's a member of a blues band who supply the sound track on some of his videos. What you'll see, if you open the clip, is a mix of ground and air shots and note that some of the air shots are technically not "onboard" because he's rigged outriggers to hold the camera. Also note the animated pilot - spooky! And the fact that he's launching his own 7kg plane - aaarrrgggh! The camera is a GoPro HD. And yes, its more than two minutes!

ULTIMATE MINIMOA.wmv (6 min 14 sec)

And just in case someone wants to flame me I've included one of my two youtube videos. Plenty of opportunity for you there! Definitely not HD and shaky camera into the bargain!

Maiden flight of 2.4m Replikit Minimoa (2 min 8 sec)
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 21, 2012, 09:52 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Roger..
What if we preface the posted video?

Not up to standards.
No music.
Too long.
No titles, but it is of a GWS plane.

Then folks don't have waste their time watching it.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky