HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:34 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Wolfe,

The aluminum tubes( bent already for dihedral) and fiber glass rods used on Slow Stick's wing can also be used on Beaver. Then you could forget her struts.

I think that 2mm piano wire is good enough for its landing gear.

Hi Roger,

I normally use knife and file making the Dean cleaner, then apply alcohol on it making it oiless before soldering wires on it. If these could not make it, I'll put a little solder gel on it, then heat it by soldering iron with tinned wire, do the same on the wires that are to be soldered on the Dean, now it's easy to solder them together by using soldering iron and tinned wire again. I even apply this way when soldering lipo cells together, 2S or 3S ones, but I have only 1000 mAh 10C ones.

Wolfe,

Vice or even pliers can be helpful when soldering these stuffs.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:02 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Good soldering tips, guys - thanks - I need all the help I can get

Nice tips about the SS parts for the Beaver too, Chen - Thanks for those

I have some Aluminum LG I am going to use on the Beaver.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:33 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
It's my pleasure, Wolfe
I'd like to build airplane by using different parts or even depron sheets, too.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Feb 18, 2012, 02:23 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
TY Roger

I like your Steven's plane - have flown that one much?

Wolfe
Not at all - only just finished it. I'll report back in due course. I'm looking forward to this one though from Zeke Brubaker at Park Scale Models. I'm guessing it might appeal to you too?

http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=73

Park Scale Models - Mini Drake (2 min 26 sec)
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:24 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
are

A rare Sat. morn with no wind..

Bad news is I ripped the nose off my beloved EPS Zero, first damage in 1.5 years.
I caught a soccer goal on a low pass but the nice thing about EPS is that it shatters more than compresses, so it's like new now, cleaned and with a fresh coat of WBPC, and ready to go tomorrow.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Bat.

Bummer on the crash - but it sounds like the fix was not too hard for you - that is good. A year and a half is long time to go without a crash - I rarely make it that long, WTG

Got to the club with Dave (Mooney Pilot) for a quite a while this afternoon. Windy, but flyable. I didn't take any GWS planes today, though, but Dave had his Corsair up.

Roger - that seaplane looks interesting. I will probably get something to fly off the water this coming summer since one of the guys I fly with just moved to a condo with a great little lake right outside the door - will be hard to pass that up, I think.

Wolfe
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:08 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Wolfe

We had an old school fuel pilot show up at the schoolyard after a long layoff.

He showed up with a couple electrics and flew really well...
another convert.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:31 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Wolfe

We had an old school fuel pilot show up at the schoolyard after a long layoff.

He showed up with a couple electrics and flew really well...
another convert.
I started with glow, but soon converted to electric after one season of constant clean-ups after every time I went out to fly. It just isn't worth it. Electric opens up a whole new window of opportunities for people who want to be able to fly in places that you just can't with a noisy gasser. Not too many people want to hear a weed wacker flying over their house on a nice quiet Sunday morning.

No cleaning, much MUCH quieter, and an endless (and affordable) selection of motors and electronics to choose from for ANY model you have.

It's a no brainer. Every year I see more and more guys make the switch to electric. Best thing I ever did!
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Feb 18, 2012, 06:43 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Always good to have another "Convert". I don't know why anyone would mess around with gas anymore unless you want to fly really huge airplanes.

Had another of our City Field Pilots, Vince, join the Largo Club today - nice to see more familiar faces there.

It is just nice to have a runway, which we don't have at the City Field. The City Field is closer for me though, so I still fly there a lot, especially in the mornings.

Wolfe
Old Feb 19, 2012, 03:58 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Working on the Stearman today. Ordered some of the plywood struts, so I am putting those on to replace the plastic ones in hopes of eliminating the wing flex on this bird.

Pain in the Butt to cut away my wing wires and have to do those all over again. Will fly it first to make sure all is well.

Lousy weather here so no flying. Just airplane repairs and college basketball - GO SPARTANS.

Have been sidetracked from my GWS birds lately playing with my new Airfield Sky Trainer from Nitroplanes. Fun airplane. Haven't had flaps before so I am intrigued.

Watching Moooneypilot fly his Corsair has me thinking, though, since I still have one of those NIB. His Corsair flew really well.

Wolfe
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:22 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Almost light enough.

I am finishing, converting, the Mustang from LIFEPO4 to Cheetah 3 cell 850 mahr pack & pulling out the 30 amp ESC.

RTF is 10.5 oz. With a APC E 7" x 5" prop I get 43 mph & 11.2 oz of thrust ....
Motor is 11.9 volts & 4.2 amps @ 8,000 rpm.

Those are bench test rig data. Do some hand tossing for a final COG position The Cheetah battery slides the full length of about 8".

Need to finish a few WWII olive green spots of the wing grooves. I am starting to want this plane to survive.

Might even hire a pilot to sit in it.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
Zupp Dave
Joined Feb 2012
8 Posts
Tiger Moth 400 build

Started my second build today. It's a GSW Tiger Moth 400 I got from Wolfe. After building the Corsair and the lesson's learned, I decided to get my airframe bits filled and sealed before any of the build. First I sanded the airframe with a 320 grit drywall sponge with very light pressure to remove the manufacturing dimples. I decided to use light weight spackle cut with windex to fill all the tiny little voids in-between the styrofoam beads. I experimented with different viscosities and brush techniques. What seemed to work was a thicker mix and more criss cross brush work. This seemed to get the mixture into the voids better. I then brushed off the excess to minimize sanding. It was 95% humidity here today in Florida. I was able to sand with 800 grit wrapped around a sponge in about 90 minutes. Next I applied Minwax Poly-crylic cut 60/40 (approx) with water. I writing as that coat is drying. My plan is to spray paint with H2O paint and clear coat with poly-crylic. I'll determine if another sealer coat is necessary after this one dries but after paint and a clear coat I should have a pretty smooth non-foam looking finish. That's my hopes anyway!

Dave
Mooneypilot60h is offline Find More Posts by Mooneypilot60h
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
It takes a lot of fun out of ARFs if I do it that way. BUUT It does allow all hiinges, Controls & interference spots to be done first ,then painting. I stop at the first colored coat of Behers Latex.
Solo flights, then I am doing a final light top coat.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Anymore, I generally make them fly a little first to earn some "Lovin". But the Moth 400 nearly always flies well so, so you should be OK with that one. I'm sure it will put anything I have built to shame - the Corsair of yours was really well done and that was your first.

Wolfe
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:38 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well the Stearman is finally done. Put in the ply struts - seems a lot more solid now - no wing flex. Will see if she flies better. Next calm day I will try this one and the Moth 400 again to make sure both are good after recent repairs, then think about putting the wing wires back on both of them.

Putting on the ply struts introduced a wing warp in the top wing, though. Leading edge at the wing tip on the upper wing is pulled down some, so the top wing is a bit twisted. Will see how that works out.

If she is still as twitchy as she was, it might be Corsair time - same electronics would work, I think.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 19, 2012 at 09:46 PM.