SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2009
92 Posts
Which motor would you recommend for an f4u corsair? I have 3s 1500 lipos, a 20A esc. Would need as much power as possible since its a heavy plane. Theres this with 1300kv, 62g but 240W power or this with less weight: 39g, 1800kv and unknown W power. I would say heavier but big power( first). What would you say?
polcrendszer is offline Find More Posts by polcrendszer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:02 PM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
I would go for a lower KV motor, around 950-1100.. The 240w motor seems a little much for the 20A esc you have... I like this motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ort/Categories It is fast with a very scale looking 3 blade, and is powerful and efficient. It would work well with your esc and battery. or http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail seems compairable. 8 inch props look pretty small against the ice cream bucket of a cowl that is on the corsair, so go for at least a 9 inch. Mount everything as far forward and as low as possible. (ESC in cowl). I would be interested in what others think..
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe
Last edited by woodenshoe; Nov 01, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: stilkantspel
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:27 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I like the lower KV motors too. I think almost all of the GWS planes fly better if you keep them as light as you can. Over motoring and bigger batteries are not necessarily your friend on these models.

wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:01 PM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
204 Posts
Wolfewinde, What is your favorite set-up as far a motor/esc/prop/battery goes? I know it veries from model to model but in general... or maybe one of your specific models that you've found the ideal set-up for. Thanks, Shoe
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:08 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
On the GWS Moth 400 and Stearman I like the HiMax 2025-4200 geared motors, 10x5 prop, 25 amp esc, 1300 or 1800 3s lipos.

On most PZ planes I like the E-Flite Power 15 motor, HK 50 amp esc, PZ 9.5x7.5 prop, 2200 mah 3s lipos.

I also really like the E-Flite 480 motor. I run that one on a couple of my Multiplex and PZ planes

Keep in mind that I am looking for solid mid-speed performance rather than blazing top end and I like to set up planes so they cruise well at about 1/2 throttle.

In general, I've always liked HiMax and E-Flite motors, but I really haven't used many of the cheaper chinese motors. Some of them are probably almost as good for about 1/2 the cost.

Wolfe
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:27 AM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
[QUOTE=Roger Lombard;19719372]Just maidened it today Rob, minus landing gear and bracing wires because it was hand launch and land on rough grass. Also changed the three bladed prop for an 8060HD two blader.

Goes like a dingbat and is pretty much in trim straight out of the box with a 1050 3 cell. If your reflexes are in the same relatively poor shape as this ageing critter I recommend plenty of expo on the ailerons and not much movement. Rudder and elevator are fine, I'd worried that the elevator might be supersensitive but it wasn't. I've got rudder mixed onto ailerons and that seems to work OK.

Looking forward to flying it ROG when I can get over to the Club's flying field 25 miles away.

Thanks for the update Roger. Guess it's not exactly a relaxing flyer?
Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:27 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Well it depends on your reflexes I guess. But it surely follows that a low wing aircraft with a 30" wingspan and a fair turn of speed is going to need a little more concentration than a 40" Piper Cub trundling round at about 15 mph? But then again I'm guessing there may be times when Sebastian Vettel might be relaxed at the wheel of his Red Bull whereas if I was in there at all I'd probably be up to my ear lobes in dung.

I'll say it was fun and having now flown it again I'm starting to think about upping the prop a bit - need to put my watt meter in there and see how the 8060 is performing against the stock 9060 three blader or a 9075HD two blader.

I was also flying my Me109 which is extremely tired but pretty quick. However I'd noticed that since the last time I flew it the wing had become extremely looose at the leading edge so the angle of incidence could vary a fair bit. Brought it into the hangar for a check up. Owners of GWS warbirds will know that most of them have a two pin plastic plate on the leading edge, the two pins locating into holes in another plastic plate glued to the fuselage. I was interested to discover that I'd just been chucking mine around with the pin locating plate having gone awol. All the wing pins were locating into was two dents in the EPS very slightly reinforced by the thin film of epoxy left that used to hold the plate in place - aaaarrrgh!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:52 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
You are lucky it stayed on LOL - that could have been a shocker

Wolfe
Old Nov 02, 2011, 05:38 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I wouldn't have put a bent nickel on it staying on - if I'd known about it. Ignorance is bliss but in this instance you'd be right - very lucky! Then again I'm operating the special GWS anti-accident insurance policy - applies to other makes too.

The policy is based on the rule that says that the chances of you trashing your plane are directly proportional to the difficulty of obtaining spares or replacing the kit. It must therefore follow that to reduce to an absolute minimum the chances of trashing your plane you should have a spare kit, unused, new in box, of every model you don't want to crash. Therefore I regard my Spitfire, my Me109, my Formosa, my Corsair, my prop Quadtrans, my FW 190 and my Zero to be immortal/invulnerable etc. On the other hand my P51D and my EDF Quadtrans, although still boxed kits, are pretty vulnerable because once I build them I won't have spares! And I don't have any spares for the rest of my GWS fleet either!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:01 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I would add to the above that "the more time and trouble it takes to build them the more likely the are to crash" LOL.

GWS Kits are not for the "faint of heart". If you want to slap it together in an hour then these ain't your friends.

On the other hand, if you want something that can benefit from a little building skill - nothing like a stick build, of course - but at least some tinkering required, then you get a good flying airplane on the cheap and you learn something about building.

Speaking of which, the Stearman is almost done. Only need to connect the rudder and elevator push rods and she would be flyable. Will probably take the time to add a coat of Polycrylic clear coat to help protect the paint, then fly her.

Assuming she survives a few flights, I will add the wing wires. Put the struts on with small eye screws so I have a place to hook up wires.

Also ended up having to expand the battery bay so the batteries can slide up even with the firewall. She balances on the rear carbane on the upper wing - right side up - that is about where the TM 400 balances, so should be good enough to fly her,

Wolfe
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:56 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
GWS Kits are not for the "faint of heart". If you want to slap it together in an hour then these ain't your friends.

On the other hand, if you want something that can benefit from a little building skill - nothing like a stick build, of course - but at least some tinkering required, then you get a good flying airplane on the cheap and you learn something about building.
Which may explain the relative market position of GWS ARFs, in the age of Ready To Fly, Plug N' Play and Bind 'N Fly products.

You really need a sense of masochism adventure to go with these planes.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:21 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
You are probably right, Rafe. Too bad, though, there are some good airplanes in the GWS line-up.

Stearman is ready to go now - might get a shot at a maiden tomorrow if the work schedule cooperates - wind looks pretty good ATM.

Wolfe
Old Nov 02, 2011, 08:10 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
I guess you're right Roger. I was looking for a replacement for my very docile handling Corsair, but the last few flights I've been pushing myself to fly it mostly at wide open throttle, and get used to flying it at a faster pace. Also flying in much more wind than I would have in the past. I guess the old bird is so beat up I'm not worried about it so much. I think something like that R3 would be something I'd be interested in once I'm fully comfortable with high speed antics. From what you've said so far, it sounds like quite a nice little plane. You're flying it with the stock electronics and motor right?
Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:03 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
The Corsair was always one of my favorite GWS planes.

Wolfe
Old Nov 03, 2011, 12:04 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Happy to see GWS fans coming out. I fly the J3F Cub, Slow Stick, Pico Moth, Beaver, and Me109. I have 4 new Slow Sticks still in boxes waiting for me to get a flying club going and then we can put on a Slow Stick air show. It'd be cool to see 5 Slow Sticks in formation!
Best Ever $35 Foamie Trainer/3D aerobatic flying Unlimited Loops GWS Cub 3 channel HD video (3 min 8 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres