HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:39 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneypilot60h View Post
I recently joined Largo Flying Club which has a runway. I figure learning to grease landings is a worthwhile endeavor to minimizing hot glue burns on my fingers. I may even put flaps on my p-47 to facilitate slower landing speeds. Then retracts - oh geez here goes the addiction thing again!

More later..............I'll keep you posted

Dave
Oh yeah, he's got it!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:55 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
I disagree !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The molecules of air are the same size in any scale. There for. The small prop blades we use ....slide in between the molecules easier & with less friction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We are more efficient when using 3 or more blades.
Good for you. You're entitled to disagree and I respect it. Even if you are wrong

Of course you might not be. Please develop your argument based on this data

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/...bladeSelection

and report back with a proof not exceeding 200 words! Don't forget to include the effect of the Reynolds number.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:09 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
OK - so I just ordered a motor and ESC for my Beaver. Guess I will build that one next,

Went with this set up...

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-Slofly/Detail

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-20-Amp/Detail

Will use 9g servos and an orange receiver

Raining here today so far - might get a chance to get out and fly late this afternoon

BTW Roger, I am pretty sure molecules of air are bigger in Florida because they swell up in our humidity

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:21 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well the Moth 400 should be fixed. Replaced the aileron servo. I will fly it few times before I try the wing wires again. They look good, but they are a bit of work to install and I don't want to have to cut them away again.

Wolfe
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:08 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
OK - so I just ordered a motor and ESC for my Beaver. Guess I will build that one next,

Went with this set up...

Raining here today so far - might get a chance to get out and fly late this afternoon

BTW Roger, I am pretty sure molecules of air are bigger in Florida because they swell up in our humidity

Wolfe
Naah! I've got a Texan pal who'll tell you (very politely) that they have the biggest molecules! They have to use chicken wire to sieve peas and water because neither will fit through an ordinary strainer. Mind you, the chicken wire comes in handy as mosquito netting as well. But the Texans I know are the most courteous and polite people. So don't come after me guys

If you study the history of the Spitfire, to name but one warbird, every time they increased the number of blades in the prop it wasn't because the prop was necessarily more efficient, it was that a prop with less blades but big enough diameter to handle the higher power would have converted the plane into a plough. Unless they increased the length of the undercarriage legs!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:13 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:

Went with this set up...

Wolfe
I have several of those ESCs.
Only lost one.... when the EZ* went down in saltwater
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 17, 2012, 01:20 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Roger - ROFL

Bat - glad to hear they work for you - the price is right on these, especially since they come with all the connectors already on - I have one other one that i just started using. I tend to like Heads Up and use them whenever I can - good people - fast delivery.

Still raining - bahhhh

Wolfe
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:47 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Roger - ROFL

the price is right on these, especially since they come with all the connectors already on -

Wolfe
I figure not having to solder on a deans is worth five bucks right there.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Yeah - I agree

Wolfe
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I don't want to appear immodest but I hold the world record for failing to ever solder a deans connector. I can melt them, I can burn myself, I can scorch the cat (or I could if I had one), but I can't solder 'em. 3.5mm connectors for me. (2mm for low capacity 2s)

What does DEANS stand for? Desperately Evil And Non Solderable?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:55 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well this helps...

http://thejigsup.net/

I could never make those third hand things work

Wolfe
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:09 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
So I am trying to remember all of the build tricks on the Beaver.

Seems like I remember that wing flutter was a real issue. So I am thinking carbon fiber rods on the trailing edge at least. Perhaps double struts as well.

Since I don't actually have a complete kit - just all of the major pieces, I will have to improvise on a few things - like landing gear. But as I remember, the LG on the Beaver wasn't worth a crap anyway, like most GWS planes. Also need to make a cowl - 2 litre coke bottle, I guess.

Anyone else have any tips up their sleeves?

Way back when, the Beaver was the first airplane that I could actually fly reasonably well - fond memories abound of 350C motors, pinion gear pullers, and orange props, and rubber bands LOL

Wolfe
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:56 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I think the double strut idea is good. Interestingly I've just built a little Stevens Aero White monoplane. If you look at the picture of it inverted you can see how four carbon struts are simply stuck (as in cyano'd) through the sides and the wing underside ribs. Now the flying and flutter loads in the Beaver would be way bigger so I'd suggest reinforcing the local areas where your struts attach with ply pads. In fact at one end, probably the fuselage end, I'd have ply panels or pads inside the fuselage and the strut anchor pads on the outside, not glued, but screwed through into the inner pads. Then you can still remove the wing. And you're right about the L/G Wolfe - Scrap it and start again. Something more like a reinforced version of the TM400?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 05:05 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
TY Roger

I like your Steven's plane - have flown that one much?

Wolfe
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,122 Posts
Problem soldering Deans ?

FULLY PRE SOLDER all of the Deans pins. Really EVEN shiny layer.
Slide the other Deans connector on to the one you are soldering. It will stop drooping when heated.
Solder 1 wire on & let it cool. Take a piece of cardboard and wedge it BETWEEN the pins being soldered.

Go for it with LITTLE FEAR of a short circuit and a puffed battery later.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2