HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:16 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Thanks, Metal. Hopefully the weather will cooperate for your long weekend so don't need any medical treatment for your illness LOL. Withdrawing always hurts.

I will have a pretty light work schedule for the rest of the week, after tomorrow, so I am hoping the Sky Gods are favorable too.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Did get in another flight on the P-40. She flew, but not all that well. I think she needs a 480, but that is going to make her even heavier, so I think I am going to strip her down and give her to my friend who is just getting into warbirds.

All of the PZ warbirds fly better than this one, so I can live without her, I think, and use the electronics in something else.

Wolfe
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:33 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Wolfe..

Is that an EPO P-40?
I put my EPO Zero away for now in favor of my old EPS Zero.

This evening had my Slow Stick doing pretty nice rolls, Immelmanns, and decent inverted flight.
Need some speed and decent power for them to look good.
Still smiling..
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
It's the new EPO foam. I think she would fly OK if you wanted to put a 480 on her and fly her fast most of the time. I just already have other warbirds that I like better, so I don't want to keep on messing around with this one.

Glad you are still smiling. It's nice when the airplanes cooperate and do that for you.

Wolfe
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:09 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Did get in another flight on the P-40. She flew, but not all that well. I think she needs a 480, but that is going to make her even heavier, so I think I am going to strip her down and give her to my friend who is just getting into warbirds.

All of the PZ warbirds fly better than this one, so I can live without her, I think, and use the electronics in something else.

Wolfe
I've been hearing this story quite a bit in the forums. I'm glad I have a few of the GWS warbirds still in EPS foam. I have the Zero, ME-109, P-51, P-40 and Corsair in my hangar. I was going to buy some of the new EPO kits but the cons seem to outweigh the pros. I believe in building as light as possible. You get the best overall performance and flying characteristics out of your plane that way.

I may buy a Corsair and P-51 in the EPO foam and see how bad the differences are between the EPS and EPO foam. I have some 450 outrunners and 1300mah lipo packs that would probably work well in them. If I build them light and make them belly landers, i'm hoping they'll fly decent.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:21 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
This is the only EPO warbird I have tried. I also have the Formosa 2 in EPO, but the Mosa is big enough to carry the extra weight decently, but this one seems to suffer for it with the 450 motor and a 3s 1300.

Wolfe
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:31 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
The C-47 could use some paint LOL - it is ugly. The Vamp behind it sure looks good, though.

Parked my P-40 in a tree this afternoon. Got it down with surprisingly little damage. I think I made a downwind turn without enough speed and she snapped over and dived. Might put a 480 on this one

Bahhhh - I hate fishing airplanes out of trees.

Wolfe
Hey Wolfe,

I went as far back as this post of yours and I am curious why you are having so much issues with this P-40?

You do realize that the PHASE3 P-40 came with retracts and one weak brushless power setup and it too suffered if you slowed it down too much! It was not light in any stretch of the imagination but, it was not a Ton Tossy either.

It seems like you need to look for a Higher Pitch speed Propeller, assuming that 450 can handle it. You need Airspeed!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Pitts,

Airspeed is the problem. I am pretty sure it would do better if I wanted to fly it faster. I just don't. I like planes that perform well at medium speeds, and this one doesn't seem to to do that well. Not saying it is a bad airplane, just saying it is not one of my favorites.

Wolfe
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:41 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Heya Pitts,

Airspeed is the problem. I am pretty sure it would do better if I wanted to fly it faster. I just don't. I like planes that perform well at medium speeds, and this one doesn't seem to to do that well. Not saying it is a bad airplane, just saying it is not one of my favorites.

Wolfe
Flying this Warbird SLOW is just not the right thing to do, especially if it is weighing more than the EPS injected foam version. If they did not change the wing Airfoil any to improve it's slow flying manners then, do not fly slow.

I bet Dollars for Beer Jugs that it is falling out of the sky as soon as you turn and the nose rapidly goes down in the turn, correct?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
The only time it actually fell out of the sky was on a downwind turn in pretty windy weather when I let her slow down too much and I parked it in the tree. As long as I keep the airspeed up, even on the 450, she flies OK - but just OK. My problem is that I really don't need another airplane that just flies OK, I would rather find something that I like better for those electronics.

Wolfe
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
The only time it actually fell out of the sky was on a downwind turn in pretty windy weather when I let her slow down too much and I parked it in the tree. As long as I keep the airspeed up, even on the 450, she flies OK - but just OK. My problem is that I really don't need another airplane that just flies OK, I would rather find something that I like better for those electronics.

Wolfe
Wolfe,

I can get you out of your misery and I am not talking about the movie!

Do you have a picture of this P-40? Can you post?

If the model is not too much busted up, I can pick it up from you.

We may do a trade?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:24 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,210 Posts
You guys bring up a interesting false hood about WOT speed & acceleration.

In a downwind turn. You must be able to reach downwindspeed plus 1.5 times the stall speed combined BEFORE you are 90 degrees thru the turn. That is a lot of thrust to get to top speed in 2 to 3 seconds of a 180 degree turn.

I always prop for torque first & then work on stall + 1.5 times for minimum cruise speeds.
As a result I have very short WOT times.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:29 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
I agree with PittSpecial. Try switching your 9X6 prop to a 9X7 or a 9X8 prop. As long as your motor, speed controller and battery can handle the extra amps. It could make all the difference.

Edit: Cyclops2 makes a valid point as well. Thrust is just as important in the equation.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
In my experience, to replicate the very adequate performance - a useful combination of half throttle or less for endurance and scale aerobatics and WOT for WOW! - I get with 120-ish watts and a 9075DH GWS prop on my gen I GWS warbirds, you need to get much closer to 200 watts and at least a 1070HD prop with the gen II EPO warbirds.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
In my experience, to replicate the very adequate performance - a useful combination of half throttle or less for endurance and scale aerobatics and WOT for WOW! - I get with 120-ish watts and a 9075DH GWS prop on my gen I GWS warbirds, you need to get much closer to 200 watts and at least a 1070HD prop with the gen II EPO warbirds.
Oh man, I was hoping it wouldn't be THAT big of a difference to obtain the same performance.

I guess i'll be hunting on ebay for people selling the older EPS version.
RCG Plus Member