HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:59 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Roger,

It seems that GWS forgot the priority of the Beaver II.

Hi Carlos,

I noticed that he said he applied the stock brushed motor on those beautiful GWS Beavers, and one of them is still with the brushed set up, while the rest have been upgraded to brushless ones.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:15 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,840 Posts
Beautiful beavers, and just love the floats! I would love to build a float plane, but I am afraid I would lose it, as I have no boat......In other news, I worked on my GWS 'Cub today, and my ugly C-47. I even took a couple of pics of the Ug.

I flew my Slow Stick late this afternoon. I wanted to maiden my DH Vampire too, but it was getting too dark out to fly a silver plane.-------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:33 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Hi Carlos, both Beavers were built and maidened with the stock brushed setup, but the floatplane was changed to brushless fairly soon afterwards. The green one with the big tyres continues to run brushed with 'C' gearbox over a year later and lots of flights
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:41 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Beautiful beavers, and just love the floats! I would love to build a float plane, but I am afraid I would lose it, as I have no boat......In other news, I worked on my GWS 'Cub today, and my ugly C-47.
Thanks man, floatplane flying isn't so tricky really. You just have to accept that if you make a 'less than perfect' landing, you'll probably lose your plane. I don't have a boat either, but I do keep a tennis ball tied to a length of string as my recovery system!! Never had to deploy it yet, even after a couple of water landings that Barnes Wallis would have been proud of!!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:48 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
I do keep a tennis ball tied to a length of string as my recovery system!!
Nice idea ! What is the total length of the string ?
I did buy a fishing rod and strings as the recovery system, too, but I have not yet built the float plane.

Chen
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:51 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
It's about 100' (30m) which is more than half the distance across the river. There's a bridge nearby, so I can get across if I need to
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
The C-47 could use some paint LOL - it is ugly. The Vamp behind it sure looks good, though.

Parked my P-40 in a tree this afternoon. Got it down with surprisingly little damage. I think I made a downwind turn without enough speed and she snapped over and dived. Might put a 480 on this one

Bahhhh - I hate fishing airplanes out of trees.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:52 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Wolfe,

Ha Ha ! The fishing rod did help us a lot.

Chen
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
We actually keep a long pole over at the City Field for retrieving treed airplanes since we have a lot of new pilots that come there. I don't usually need to use it, but in the last 2 weeks I have put 2 planes in the trees.

Hope the trend does not continue LOL

Wolfe
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,127 Posts
Traffic controllers are drinking DECAF again.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:49 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,840 Posts
Wolfe, sorry to hear you are hangaring planes among branches.. glad you got it out ok, though! davylah, The ball and string is a great idea! Now I may put some floats on something....(NOT the Vampire!) I know I saw a photo of a DC-3 on floats somewhere....Ugly C-47 may end up with some floats one day... ----Metalguy
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:02 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,840 Posts
In other news....I am working on both the ugly C-47, and the old cub. I managed yet another motor swap on the cub, to a smaller brusless, and also managed to mangle the NEW cowling I just bought for it, trying to cut the opening for the motor in the nose...So...I looked at the cowling I happen to have for a 400 TM, and I believe it will work fine cut down. It will also be stronger. I plan on sanding, filling, and painting it up as one of the Super cubs I worked on in my past, a royal blue one that was just plain beautiful. It had yellow "N" numbers, and it kinda looked like it belonged with the blue angels. In fact, my boss at the time challenged them to a race to 1000' from a standstill when they were in town. They didn't take him up on his challenge. The C-47 is getting a hatch in the top of the fuse, (already cut) and better hinges for all control surfaces. I was also thinking of putting drooped tips on the wings, or maybe winglets. I am sure purists will cringe, but it is all in the name of fun research. Even though it is ugly, it is a good flyer, and I intend to fly the daylights out of this one!-------Metalguy
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:41 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Metalguy,
Your new C-47 won't be ugly again after you build it up and paint it well.
Chen
Old Feb 14, 2012, 07:46 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
P-40 is repaired - not much damage really - mostly just a loose motor mount stick and a broken prop.

Put a 9060 three blade on her. Will see how she flies. This is just not one of my favorite airplanes, so if she doesn't behave better, I will probably give her to a friend who is just about ready for warbirds. But maybe with the 3-blade her status will improve

Wolfe
Old Feb 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,840 Posts
Wolfe, good to hear the damage was so little. I am hoping for a good day this weekend to fly...I have a 4 day weekend coming up! I am having withdrawls...------Metalguy