HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 04:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well it should be stronger even if it doesn't look a lot better.

I lost my last GWS Spit to a light pole a few years back - hit that sucker going all out - it just exploded in the air - was almost worth it it looked so cool.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2011, 09:12 AM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
579 Posts
Just went to my Hobby Shop and they had a GWS Spitfire for $40 with a DSM2 receiver, Servos, Motor and ESC installed. Thought it was a good price so I picked it up. Any tips on how this will fly on a brushed motor?? Little worried it will be underpowered??
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:42 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbanks96 View Post
Just went to my Hobby Shop and they had a GWS Spitfire for $40 with a DSM2 receiver, Servos, Motor and ESC installed. Thought it was a good price so I picked it up. Any tips on how this will fly on a brushed motor?? Little worried it will be underpowered??
You will be unimpressed with a 2S battery, and may burn up the stock brushed motor on 3S (assuming its a 350C).

If you can find if its the 350 or 400 and what battery, we could give you more details.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
remotely sensitive
United States, WI, Verona
Joined Oct 2011
203 Posts
Go brushless

There are some really good cheap combos out there. http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...unt-p-624.html with shipping, it is around $30 I've also had good luck with Headsuprc.com and also valuehobby.com for cheap esc's and motors. I am sure there are many more shops that have cheap..good components, don't let the price scare you. I have yet to be disappointed... or just fly with 3s until it burns up!! I had one that lasted along time and it went like ^(&*(&!!! ....fun. Just don't run the battery down too far if the esc isn't set for lipos.
woodenshoe is offline Find More Posts by woodenshoe
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:23 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Make sure you have the CG right - the GWS Spitfire needs quite a lot of nose weight. Also make sure that you set the elevator movement right down - this bird is very pitch sensitive. Having said that, once set up she's a beautiful flyer and a definite floater coming in "dead stick".

Depends on your definition of underpowered, the 350 brushed motor on a 2s will give it much more peformance than the original kit which was intended to run on 6 or 7 Nicad or Nimh cells. May be no bad thing to get it set up and get comfortable with it before worrying too much about stuffing more power in there.

The quick and dirty solution is then to find a 2036 b/l inrunner with the same shaft diameter as the GWS 350, pull the pinion off the one and push it on the other then just put the b/l motor back in the same gearbox. Remembering, of course, to change to a b/l esc. You'll be fine with 3s then.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 30, 2011, 11:25 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
You got that Spit for a good price even if you decide to go brushless.

Wolfe
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:01 PM
Joined Apr 2010
579 Posts
That was what I was thinking.... But I would really like to experiment and see if it will fly on a brushed motor. I'll keep ya'll updated.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:22 PM
If it's R/C, it's all good.
USA, WI, Wausau
Joined Jul 2005
1,043 Posts
Just grabbed another E-Starter and a set of GWS floats from Tower.

Love GWS' other stuff. And who can pass up a good float plane for $54 total including motor and prop?

I can never get the Pico Moth's upper wing to be "non-wobbly". Obviously I'm doing something wrong, but it's beyond me what that is. So, as others said earlier I'm going to pick up a thin sheet of plywood and trace the original struts on my band and jig saw. Maybe increase the length mounting points on each end so they go into the wing and hold better with the glue. Add some simple flying wires and that should do it.

Winter is pretty much here in WI, so I have nothing but time to rig it all up.

I really wish GWS would get back in the game and update their planes.

Also, at least one seaplane from them would be awesome. I keep hoping.
hpiguy is offline Find More Posts by hpiguy
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Been working on the Stearman off and on all day. Fuse repairs look like they will work - lots of sanding, filling and repainting. Found a blue at Michael's that is almost a perfect match for the original blue. Final coat of "clear coat" on the fuse is drying now. Wing strut anchors are all glued in. Most of the black plastic pieces are in. Not sure how much more I will get done today, but she is coming along.

The Spit should fly on that 350-C motor and a 2s lipo - give it a try before you change it out.

Wolfe
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2010
579 Posts
Any one mind telling me how big of a 2 cell battery I should be using?? All I have is a 2s 1300 should I go bigger??
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:58 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Any one mind telling me how big of a 2 cell battery I should be using?? All I have is a 2s 1300 should I go bigger??
My first lipo was a 2s 1200 10C bought just for my GWS planes. LOL, as long as its not like a 5C discharge battery you should be fine.
Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:06 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Nah - the 1300 is good. The lighter you keep the Spit the better she will fly.

I would also like to see GWS get back in the game - they have some good designs at reasonable prices.

I think the Pico Moth will have a lot less upper wing motion with the ply struts - glueing popsicle sticks to the existing struts also helps - so would wing wires.

I just got enough replacement parts to build another Pico - think I will try wing wires on this one.

Getting more done on the Stearman today in between getting some work done. Tail feathers are glued in and hinged. Should get the ailerons hinged tonight - might be ready for electronics sooner than I thought.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Oct 31, 2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 04:18 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
The only problem, with using a 2 cell 1300 is that you're going to need to add some "dead" weight whereas a heavier battery would have given you ballast with power in it. Don't skip getting the CG right or you'll have a short but expensive flight.

If you haven't got the manual you'll find all the GWS aircraft manuals here http://www.gwsus.com/english/service...ane_manual.htm but I'll tell you for nothing the book says the Spitfire CG is 60mm back from the leading edge of the wing at the root, and from memory I think that's about right. Maybe start at 55mm and see how you go.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 31, 2011, 05:29 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Now that you mention that - I do seem to remember having to add quite a bit of nose weight to the Spit - so a bigger battery might be better

Wolfe
Old Oct 31, 2011, 07:14 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Putting the battery and the ESC you have as forward as in the cowl might be helpful if you could not find out a bigger battery at this moment. I recall that Kensp posted this way on his thread couple of years ago for locating the CG right on his Spitfire. And I think it's a great idea as no need to add ballast on its nose.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen