SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:51 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Good luck on the maiden, Metal. Let us know how it goes.

Windy here today. Got in just one flight on my Formosa this morning and decided it was too windy.

I would like to re-maiden my Nitro P-40 now that the retracts are glued in LOL. Got a very short flight on her a couple days ago, but she was really nose heavy, so I brought her down to adjust the CG and retracts fell out the minute she touched down.

She should handle 10 MPH, still debating ...

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
Brushless set up for the 4 engined C-130

2.3 oz. of Y & 10 amp esc. Good thing this will keep the thrust to weight at 1 : 1
I am a RTF of 22 to 24 oz. & thrust of a worst case of 25 to 27 oz.

My wife said due to the cost of finishing this CHEAP sloper, I may have to go back to work.

Rich
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Last edited by cyclops2; Jan 28, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well she should fly with a 1:1 thrust ratio. When is the maiden?

Wolfe
Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
Hi Wolfe.

At least 4 days off. The added picture is the complete 4 ESCs. My first 4 engined Brushless.

The other 4 engine was with 4..400s brushes. & 1 50 amp ESC......Neat & simple.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:02 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have never set up a multi-engine plane with brushless motors - looks like LOTS of wires LOL. Do you use a triple "Y" to get them all down to one battery?

Metal - my 3D experience is extremely limited so far - maybe a dozen flight all together. Haven't wrecked any planes so far but I keep them up pretty high. On low rates, with only about 35% throws, they aren't any harder to fly than any low wing fighter. On high rates, even with massive expo, they are pretty quick - hard to keep up with for me.

Wolfe
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:59 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,905 Posts
Wolfe, I am sure the 3D stuff is fun, and eventually I may get one, but I have to get my confidence up on the faster models first. I maidened the AT-6 today, and I am very impressed. It flies pretty fast, but it sure handles well. It flies like it is on rails, and it looks like I nailed the CG first try. The factory marks it behind the main spar, and I moved it forward of the main spar, considering the tail-heavy comments on the thread for it. I was a little apprehensive, being the plane was only $69.00 complete, minus RX, and battery, and aside from a few quirks I fixed before I flew it, it appears to be a good value, and will be a LOT of fun.
A brushless setup on multiple motors (at least on my C-47 twin) is not too bad. two brushless ESC's, and a y connector, with one wire cut from it works fine. I think I cut the brown wire, and that was it. -----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:00 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
All the red leads of the ESCs are soldered in the + hole of the connector. The real BUNDLE is the long leads of the 3 receiver Ys.
I am on the fence on cutting off all excess Y lengths & resolder & heat shrink the splices. Right now it is almost 3' long. You convinced me to reduce all Y leads to 3" long. Except the receiver plug.

Thanks Woflewinde.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
Metalguy

I found the C-47 a pleasure to do brushless also. It glides forever.

Rich
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:23 PM
United States, FL
Joined Dec 2002
338 Posts
I just ordered a Formosa I NPS EPO. This will be my third Formosa I. This is my fleet favorite. Is there a thread on building this EPO plane? I want to see if there are any new building tipos / mods especially for placement of my 3s 2200mah lipo.
elau is offline Find More Posts by elau
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:27 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I would just sand out the battery compartment before you put the fuse together so you can slide the battery pretty far forward. I use a 1300 in mine - old foam though - and it sits in the cockpit area without sliding forward at all.

Wolfe
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:50 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elau View Post
I just ordered a Formosa I NPS EPO. This will be my third Formosa I. This is my fleet favorite. Is there a thread on building this EPO plane? I want to see if there are any new building tipos / mods especially for placement of my 3s 2200mah lipo.
There's nothing special about the EPO version except it's tougher, heavier and (in my experience) has a more snakeskin finish than the old EPS. The moulds are the same, just stoked with EPO feedstock instead of EPS.

Getting the battery compartment the right size before you glue the halves is always good with all the older designs - they were designed to run with AA nicad's and an AA is 14mm - 0.55" in diameter. Pretty much all 3 cell lipos, and some 2 cells are thicker than that.

You might find some help here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=formosa

and that thread has links to take you all sorts of other Formosa threads.

I'd add that before you put the cowl on I'd either glass it on the inside or line it with fibreglass cross weave tape. Unless you're a genius at keeping the chin off the ground on landing, especially if you're flying without l/g, that cowl can take a beating.

Also trial fit your motor, cowl and prop before you glue the motor stick in place. Depending on your set up you may need to shorten the stick or sometimes not push it the whole way home. A stick that's too long is easy, a stick that's too short is a real pain in the . Ask me how I know these things
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:14 PM
United States, FL
Joined Dec 2002
338 Posts
Getting the battery compartment the right size before you glue the halves is always good with all the older designs - they were designed to run with AA nicad's and an AA is 14mm - 0.55" in diameter. Pretty much all 3 cell lipos, and some 2 cells are thicker than that.

You might find some help here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=formosa

and that thread has links to take you all sorts of other Formosa threads.

I'd add that before you put the cowl on I'd either glass it on the inside or line it with fibreglass cross weave tape. Unless you're a genius at keeping the chin off the ground on landing, especially if you're flying without l/g, that cowl can take a beating.

Also trial fit your motor, cowl and prop before you glue the motor stick in place. Depending on your set up you may need to shorten the stick or sometimes not push it the whole way home. A stick that's too long is easy, a stick that's too short is a real pain in the . Ask me how I know these things [/QUOTE]

Roger. Thanks for the input. The link is very helpful!!!
elau is offline Find More Posts by elau
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
Done

Much better 4 engined ESC group of wires. Only 1 ESC is supplying BEC voltage to the receiver. A final wrapping of the heat shrink area with good Black plastic electrical tape.

Then the soldering & heat shrinking of the12 motor leads. I am getting there.
Then a power run at WOT to get the maximum current & thrust readings.

Rich
Last edited by cyclops2; Jan 29, 2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:33 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Rich,

Let me know what the currents and thrust readings are. Thank you.
It seems your Cargotrans will be with more than enough thrust.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:45 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,214 Posts
Hi Chen.

I am retired. 74. So my work loads vary greatly. Today is a nice winter day in New Jersey. So I will continue cutting down & cutting up 20 + trees that wet ground & high winds have blown over. Wired in a 18 kilowatt generator past week. Retirement really means.

MORE TIRED.

Rich