HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,073 Posts
I use Hitec HS-55s in all GWS planes. Never a problem Just took at those tiny moving surfaces. You will be fine.

I have 2 P-51s. Each is built & powered differently. Kind of like people.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Weedan,

The "send" button is sooooo dangerous. But the P-51 is a good airplane if you build it light. I use HiTec HS-55's and/or Tower Pro 9g servos from Heads Up RC in all of these planes.

Not sure what motor comes with that kit but what usually works is a 150 to 200 watt motor and nothing bigger than a 1300 3s battery. So a 370 or 400 sized motor should be good and a 20 amp ESC should be plenty.

Heads Up is a good source of info since they sell GWS planes and are familiar with them.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:56 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
P-40

Closing in on this one now. Servos are all in, push rods attached, radio set up, landing Gear on.

Mostly just need to figure out a way to attach the battery hatch -magnets probably - and set up the battery tray so batts are secure, then balance.

Weather not looking great for the next couple of days, so not sure when whe will Maiden.

Wolfe
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Have nice maiden, Wolfe

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:31 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Weedan,

Your P-51D 300s kit should come with a brushed 300 motor, if you are going to build it with everything stock you'll need to buy a GWS brushed ESC, ICS-300 or ICS-300Li, for this motor, and better to use 7.4V 1000mAh lipo. Using the modern brushless power set, 400 size 1000KV outrunner motor + 20A ESC for brushless + prop EP9050 (9x5) or EP1060 (10x6) +3S 1300MAH lipo instead could make it more spirited.

Chen
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Go with what twn Chen said Weedan you won't regret it. While the 300s will probably make it fly.......just get a brushless set-up.

Spitfire flew today. Fun Fun flight! Flew her low as I could get her without crashing her! It was a blast. Inverted was fun too!
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:20 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
312 Posts
Got a Dynam flight pack combo with a 1300kva brushless that i will try in the P-51
weedan is online now Find More Posts by weedan
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:24 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Weedan,
Be also reminded that P-51D is a very responsive low wing warbird, make sure that you are experienced enough before flying this Mustang.

Chen
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,073 Posts
It does qualify as

Fly straight out for speed first then a gradual climb to about 150' up level off & check the trim levers for any adjustments. It is quick in decents. So allow for that . At about the 150 watt power level . It WILL disappear fast if somebody distracts you. Talk...But keep your eyes on the plane. The plane should not be silver in color in my opinion. It dissappears too fast at WOT.
I am 74. All my planes are camoflage green for visability.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:05 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,073 Posts
Cargo trans

Putting in the non standard main & nose steering wheels took a entire day of trial & error pink foam blocks. The nose wheel does rotate L & R 45 degrees with the wheel on center line. I used a left over wheel strut cut down for the nose. 2" x 2" foam block with a piece of Carbon Fibre tube as the bushing. The stock lever arm is a perfect fit.

I am busy with each step. I ordered the 4 Faigeo 10 amp escs, 1 HS-55 & 3 Y connectors.

Rich
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:39 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Grats on the Spit flight, Lilbanks, was that the Maiden - can't remember?

Sound like you have real project going, Cyclops. good luck with it.

Looks like my P-40 is going to come in at around 26 ounces AUW - how does that sound Chen? Power Up 450 motor, 30 amp esc, 1300 mah 3s, orange spektrum receiver, four TP 9g servos, probably an APC 10x5E or 9x6E prop

Wolfe
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Nope wolf, I have has somewhere around 20ish flights on her.

Running off a blue wonder 1300kv
3s 1000's mah
9 grams on elev. and ail.

Have fun with the project Cyclops!

Wolf sounds like your P-40 will be a great flyer!

Happy Flying!
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:50 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
P-40 Maiden

Sooooo, maiden +4 on the P-40 this afternoon in winds around 8 mph.

First take off - down wind - necessary because of the late afternoon sun - not pretty. Tried to yank her off the ground too quickly and she wallowed, stalled, and cartwheeled. No damage,

Second take off - let her build up some speed, took off a bit more crosswind, oops - way tail heavy - that explains the first take off - so we did lots of loops while we put in massive down trim LOL - she loops well.

Did get her to finally almost level out hands off and fly - finished out the battery to get a little used to her before the landing - which went pretty well - low bouncer/

Four additional flights all went smoothly once I adjusted the battery placement - now the 1300 3s is pretty much centered under the hatch.

Observations...

She flies like a fighter. Stalls straight over the nose, but drops the nose sharply and goes into a spin. She snaps violently at sudden 100% up elevator. She still tried to snap at 90% throw, but gave some warning. I would probably go 80% next.

The 450 is enough motor, but she needs every bit of it. Anything smaller would not be good. A 480 might be better. With the 450 she flies pretty scale and needs a little roll out to lift off. She cruised pretty well at just above half throttle, but was more stable at about 3/4 throttle

She loops well, nice big loops and tracks through them pretty true. Rolls were pretty crisp with 100% aileron throws.

Turns were pretty coordinated with 20% rudder mixed in.

My CG is just ahead of the second rib line from the leading edge with the plane upside down - about 2 3/4 inches. At that placement she drops the nose inverted, but not too badly. She flew inverted figure eights pretty well.

Landing gear held up well on the short grass field and I landed her pretty hot - but normal fighter hot - would not want to try to float this one in too much - afraid she might tip stall. All landing were pretty good, though. One greaser and low bouncers. Nothing that stressed the gear too much

All in all - a pretty good airplane. I like the slightly larger airframe than the other GWS low wing warbirds.

Always nice to survive the maiden flight and come home with just one big piece LOL

A friend took some pics and a short camera video - will post them later when I get them

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 25, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:05 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,073 Posts
Always dive on your enemy.
You can not dogfight him.

What is your RTF weight ? I have a P-40 waiting for a geared motor box.

Rich
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
RTF weight is 26 ounces with the 1300 mah 3s

Wolfe