Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,672 Posts
The only thing have glassed on a GWS plane is the underside of mt Slow Stick's wing, using lightweight cloth, and minwax water-based sealer, no resin. It added about an ounce, and stiffened up the flimsy wing considerably. I wouldn't consider doing an entire foamy with a full airfoil wing.------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:17 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,042 Posts
Paint beats glass cloth.

I was putting finger nail dents ALL over the completly sanded 130. I put 2 coats of H D Behers interior latex paint thinned by 20%. It was too thick. Flowed out streaky on the first coat. Was using as a primer. The second coat was PERFECT with cheap small foam brush. I will put a clear dull coat after assembly & decals. I may cut white paper circles & first glue them to all decals. I read were that does wonders for " see thru " thin decals.
I am really into this DIY stuff now.

I have a new appreciation for those round horn connectors by GWS. FANTASTIC. I have raided the ones in the F-15 bag to use on the 130 rudder & nose wheel setup. 1 HS55.. 1 Sullivan .032" Golden Rod & 2 guide tubes. I am out of HS55 servos !! Never thought I could use up so many in a few years.

I see with hindsight that I could have easily put the rudder horn under the elevator section.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:23 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,042 Posts
I use paint & braided fish line as Glass cloth for preventing flexing. I cut lengths 1" shorter than distance needed. I lay on the primer. Then paint on the lines under the wing. They can disappear with latex. Dacron line does not stretch at the loads our wings have. No see them at all.

Rich
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I always keep the extra GWS plastic parts around too - they have a variety of uses. I like your idea of painting in the braided fishing line - very useful build tip.

Also, on the few times I have used glass cloth, I always paint it down with Min-Wax Polycrylic finish too. Seems to work just fine and saves a lot of weight.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:15 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
I am starting a build on a 109, I want to glass it from the start, but I am having a tough time finding .75 in a quantity large enough to do the bird. Anyone out there got any suggestions?
Yeah, don't glass it. But do paint it then give it a coat of Minwax water based polycrylic. Use a foam brush for both products.

Allan
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,672 Posts
My SS was the first model I tried the minwax polycrylic with, and the results were impressive. I am currently working oin my fleet if aircraft, modding as neccessary, repairing what needs it, and something I have never done before, modding a brand new, never flown pnp Hobby King foamie. It has one servo that actuates the ailerons, but I wanted to utilize my transmitters "flaperons" function (another first for me) so I installed servos side by side in th center of the wing, each running one aileron/flap, and proceeded to figure out how to make them work properly. Once onfigured, it works well. I am liking my Walkera 2801 pro more and more, especially for the cheap price! The real downside to this radio is the "chingrish" instructions making it hard to interpret at times. I am using digital henge 922 metal geared servos, which I got from my helicopter days, they are durable, fast, and inexpensive. I will probably use the flaperons feature in my C-47 whenever I can get that in the air!! Should help on the takeoff's, I would think...As always, if you have any tips, I am wide open to them. My Pico cub is certainly still over powered, as I can do many things it was never designed to do! LOT of fun. ------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheal63 View Post
I am starting a build on a 109, I want to glass it from the start, but I am having a tough time finding .75 in a quantity large enough to do the bird. Anyone out there got any suggestions?
DON'T DO IT!!!!! You'll end up with a plane like my Spit lol!!!
lordmureth is offline Find More Posts by lordmureth
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Mar 2010
161 Posts
Well, my biggest concern is the fragile quality of the foam, it is terrible, I get coolers from Omaha Steaks that are better quality. I have a HURC 2410-12D motor with a 30A esc, so I am not too concerned about weight, but I am not the most gentle flyer. If you sneeze on this stuff, it falls apart. I was looking at a build done here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314050 that was very impressive. I would feel much more confident in taking this out with FG on it.
tarheal63 is online now Find More Posts by tarheal63
Old Jan 23, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,042 Posts
Tarheals63

No glass cloth. What you wind up with is a fast flying " Bunker Buster ". A pretty Bunker buster. MOST under 3' WS single engine planes need to be about 16 oz. maximum.
The goal is to reduce weight where possible, to improve flying.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,042 Posts
I think a word about strenth to weight ratios. Stronger built planes MUST have bigger motors, ESC & batteries. They must also have MUCH larger turning radius & higher dive speeds. Pullouts can become higher as a result.

WOT level speed is a blast.
Control surface flutter can also rip out surfaces if the speeds get carried away. You may or may not hear a buzzing sound for no reason. That is the plane breaking up in flight.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
The old foam is fragile compared to today's foam, but it worked well on many models for many years.

I will say again, though, that the lighter the GWS warbird, the better it flys.

Wolfe
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:59 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,042 Posts
I have have all the warbirds. Plus, 3 F-15s 2 P-51s. They are soft by todays standards. But under 1 pound per square foot of wing loading is never a problem.

Most planes crash badly if the GWS COG is used on a hard surface runway. I adjust COG in DEEP field grass. Never a COG finding crash.

The A-10s were a beast with the Black & Decker 1100 A123 cells I used. The Hog had 1 speed. WOT & level.

The prop pusher A-10, was a vertical take off sweetheart.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:24 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
A bit more work on the P-40 tonight. Got the Power Up 450 Sport motor installed along with the ESC and receiver - enough to test the motor and get it turning in the right direction. Looks like it might not even be too hard to get the CG right - wonders never cease LOL

This one is one the build table now - should finish it by the end of the week.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 24, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Rich,

You might be glad to know of this Cargotrans. A new freind flew this great bird at our club's field last weekend. He applied two 400 size 2600KV outrunners + GWS prop EP5030 (5"x3") + 20A ESC X 2 + 2S 850mAh 30C Lipo pack X 2. He said that it's very good to apply these two power sets working together.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
303 Posts
Ebay when I'm not Awake yet

Don't know what came over me early in the morning, bought a GWS P-51D 300/s kit. Kinda wondering "What Have I done/". How good is the motor that comes with the kit. What size ESC should I use. Ive got a bunch of micro servos from various helicopters and receivers but most of my plane flying has been Micro Park flyer's IE: T-28 and the champ and the larger V tails. Areobird Challenger and the Firebird Commander so any advice or suggestions would be helpful
weedan is offline Find More Posts by weedan