HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Metal,

Replace the edges of the wing and ailerons with a balsa stick - just trim back the edges that are eaten away and glue the strip on with CA or Epoxy. Then cut new hinge slits in the balsa. Should work better than the original

Or get a sheet of depron from the hardware store and do the same thing. Sorry you have had the problem, I didn't think GG ate foam either. Don't give up on it.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:11 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Gorilla glue has eaten the foam on my poor C-47. I was putting internal hinges in, and was informed that gorilla glue was ok on foam.
Gorilla Glue is now making CA (super glue). Sure you didn't get hold of some of that?
http://www.gorillaglue.com/glues/glue-guide.aspx

You might try Blenderm tape for hinges.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Last edited by bartricky; Jan 19, 2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:19 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
After my 3D experience today I am going to set the high rates on the Formosa 1 up a little more aggressively and see what happens. I reset the end point to 125% travel on all servos and set the throw to 100% (of the 125%). Will set the expo at 75% - which seems outrageous, but it worked fine on the Edge today.

Also moved all rate change to a single switch so they all work off the aileron switch now. In case it is a disaster I can go back to low rates with one switch.

Weather looks good in the morning so hope to try her out then

Wolfe
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,955 Posts
We'll see what happens with the poor C-47....I am leaving it be for now. I just got done looking at a slope glider version of this kit, and perhaps just removing the radio, and installing everything in a new airframe. I may fix this one, I haven't decided. For now, I will let it sit. -----Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 19, 2012, 09:39 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
"Will set the expo at 75% - which seems outrageous, but it worked fine on the Edge today."

I flew in the wind this evening. I had two Tx's set up for the one plane.
One was a basic TX and one was a computer Tx set up with expo. I flew them back to back.
Expo made a great difference, more than I would have thought.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Metal,

I set them aside too when I get frustrated with them and come back to them later - or not.

Bar - I usually use 35% expo. It really does help smooth things out. But I never considered trying 75% - I was astonished that they use that much for 3D. I was afraid you would get .... not enough , not enough, WAY TOO MUCH. But it didn't work that way. I still had soft control before it slammed into high gear, so I could still just fly around pretty well

Wolfe
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:55 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
You must be using a different Gorilla Glue than the rest of us. Which did you use?
Gorilla Glue is different than Super Gorilla Glue.
http://au.gorillaglue.com/eng/glues/glue-guide/2/

Tells you here that Gorilla Glue is safe for foam while Super Gorilla Glue is not.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:11 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
I have to agree, Davy. That Harrier looks fantastic. Now that the Vampire is ordered, I am wishing there were others like it available for cheap, such as...Gloster meteor, DH Hunter, The Vulcan, etc. I love the swoopy lines. Oh, and I made a disturbing discovery today. Gorilla glue has eaten the foam on my poor C-47. I was putting internal hinges in, and was informed that gorilla glue was ok on foam. Well, it isn't, not on the old foam anyway. Don't know if this plane will ever fly now The T.E. of the ailerons where the hinges were to be installed is eaten away... as is the tips where I tried to glue the aileron tips back onto the wings. Really bummed about this.-------Metalguy
Thanks man, sorry to hear about the C-47. I'm sure it will have its day though. You're spot on with the Classic British jets mind. I think the older ones with the centrifugal compressors lend themselves well to edf because of the sound! I'd also like to see the BAC Lighning, Buccaneer, TSR2, and maybe the Jet Provost as an edf trainer.
Come on GWS, it isn't too late!!!!!!!
davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:22 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
What would you define as the Classic British jets? There are really only two well-known ones that had a centrifugal compressor. The Meteor was powered after development Whittle engines by the Rolls Royce Welland and then the Derwent. The Nene, also with a centrifugal compressor, was used in the Hawker Sea Hawk -not many people would recognise one so perhaps not a classic - and I think a few Australian Airforce vampires had the Nene but most Vampires had DH Goblins - also centrifugal compressor.

After that it was all axial flow compressors - Hawker Hunter, Supermarine Swift, Canberra, Lightning - even the Vulcan started out with Rolls Royce Avons but changed to Bristol Olympus.

And there's the rub - axial flow meant slim engines and slim engines full scale mean small diameter EDF in models. Those model Lightnings that do fly (English Electric not Lockheed) I think are slightly compromised by having a single big EDF in there instead of replicating the twin Avons stacked one on the other.

HobbyKing have done a pretty good job with the Vampire but I think a Canberra or even a Meteor is always going to be a tough ask without having to go overscale on the nacelles. I've not been interested enough to check but I'd guess that the GWS 262 nacelles are tubbier than the originals?

And we'll have to wait and see how many fans HobbyKing have tucked into their Vulcan but I'll be amazed if it's four - ouch that would be four esc and four lots of noise. Unfortunately high power edf places some constraints on where you can fly without someone grumbing about the noise.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jan 20, 2012, 06:50 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
I just meant the ones that Metalguy suggested, Meteor, Hunter, Vulcan etc. I know they didn't all use centrifugal engines, but the Vampire in particular would sound good with a well balanced edf. I used a vibration app on my phone to balance the fan on my Harrier and it whooshes rather than screams now.
I'd imagine you could get away with twin edf on a Vulcan, but like you say, the bulges around the fans would certainly be bigger than scale.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 09:09 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Sod's law kicks straight and since posting the above I get a sale announcement from a certain British manufacturer which reminds me that they do EDF Meteor, Canberra, Vulcan, Vampire/Venom or whatever

Meteor here

gad rc gloster meteor (0 min 42 sec)

And now they're talking about doing a TSR2 - one of the most advanced aircraft ever that didn't fly except as a prototype!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSR-2

Always loved the quote by Sydney Camm - All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right. After the politicians had finished to-ing and fro-ing we ended up with the Panavia Tornado entering service in 1981 but actuall not able to do much, if anything that the TSR-2 hadn't already been able to do in 1965 for a lot less money - Ha!

Your point about a well balanced fan is well made and I think it applies equally to a lot of prop birds with electric motors. I have several that are virtually inaudible in flight, but something with a poor motor mounting or unbalanced prop can make a hell of a row.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:29 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Oh don't get me started on politics! I spent 10 years of my life keeping the Harrier fleet in the air, only to have the government axe them once they were upgraded! I'd agree with you about balancing props too, but I'd never go to the hassle of strapping my mobile to it, to measure, record and plot vibration.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:49 AM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,955 Posts
Gloster Meteor....MMmm! I think I love the shapes of the older British jets more than anything. Streamlined, yet most had fairly straight wings, faired very well into the body. I am not big into EDF, and probably won't be, as most jets out there are just too fast for me to enjoy. And I really don't care for the noise most generate, but that Vampire is just plain cool. And yes, politics is the enemy of many aircraft, past, and present! I don't want to go there on this forum, it is probably not allowed anyway. --------Metalguy
metalguy is offline Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
Foam glues

I stick to Titebond II or III. Only used for 1/4" or less wet glue surfaces. Takes about a week to dry thru.
Epoxy...2 equal sized parts of the mix. For wider areas & all pin type hinges. 30 minute stuff
G E Silicone for rubber engine mounting.

Waiting for 22 ga. servo wire. For motor current wires.
& 2..Sullivan .023 flexiable pushrods.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:24 PM
United Kingdom, Cnwll
Joined Apr 2010
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Don't feel guilty dude, I know this a GWS appreciation page, but if they won't give us new planes, we've got to go elsewhere. I bought a Guanli Harrier and felt the same feeling of disloyalty, but I turned it into this!!

The Vampire from Hobbyking looks like it will fly beautifully. I had the pleasure of looking after a real one last summer when it came to take part in our air show.
Having flown (briefly... and then written off ) a Guanli Harrier (probably before I was really ready to fly such a plane) I can only begin to imagine the work that must have gone into this. AMAZING. Hope it flies as good as it looks!
lordmureth is offline Find More Posts by lordmureth