SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:09 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
You've hit on the appeal of GWS. There seems to be an assumption now that we all want everything ARTF and I think it ain't necessarily so. Having said that I always preferred the "SG" (slope glider) versions of the GWS kits because I didn't like their paint schemes and I preferred to put my own electrics in. I'm not sure whether the present trend for ARTF is because the generic customer only wants to spend an hour on putting together (I timed myself with my HobbyKing GeeBee R3 the other day and it was under twenty minutes from out of box to ready to go!) or whether there is some highly profitable added value in tying the customer to manufacturer specified and fitted electrics, which is why that's all the manufacturer offers.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
You've hit on the appeal of GWS. There seems to be an assumption now that we all want everything ARTF and I think it ain't necessarily so. Having said that I always preferred the "SG" (slope glider) versions of the GWS kits because I didn't like their paint schemes and I preferred to put my own electrics in. I'm not sure whether the present trend for ARTF is because the generic customer only wants to spend an hour on putting together (I timed myself with my HobbyKing GeeBee R3 the other day and it was under twenty minutes from out of box to ready to go!) or whether there is some highly profitable added value in tying the customer to manufacturer specified and fitted electrics, which is why that's all the manufacturer offers.
When I first started to really interested in electric RC, GWS was really the only thing advertised so I started buying their slope glider kits for the same reason you mentioned, I hated their color schemes. However, Parkzone makes it so easy to get a plane into the air quickly and they fly so nicely, I went that direction. I personally wanted to get out and enjoy flying more than I wanted to sit and build a plane for an entire winter before getting out and enjoying the flying.

However, that being said, as a long time hobbyist with plastic models, rc cars, and miniature painting, I also want to enjoy the building phase also. Now that I have a couple of years of flying experience, I want to build on that experience by building my own planes from kits, then eventually maybe from scratch (plans). I think that building from kits and/or plans will only increase your knowledge of how the plane works and will increase your flying ability. Plus it is just relaxing to work on a plane over the long winter nights while listening to some hockey games on the radio.
FoamieFlier is offline Find More Posts by FoamieFlier
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:24 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
TY for the Strut info Roger

I also always liked the slope kits. And also have gotten into the PZ planes lately to get my fleet built back up quickly after a few years out of the hobby. PZ planes fly well, I have not been disappointed in them.

However, now that I am not in a hurry to get another plane in the air, I am enjoying revisiting some of the GWS kits I still had stashed away.

I am really enjoying the Moth 400 - 3 more great flights this morning. It has drawn a lot of interest at the field, so I imagine a few more GWS planes will start showing up there before too long.

I am slowly building the small Formosa - slope kit - and just got a Stearman. Unfortunately, it was damaged in shipping so am awaiting a settlement with Heads Up - who responded quickly and offered a full refund - can't complain about that - excellent and quick customer service. Anyway, I will order another Stearman to build to go with the TM 400, and I am hoping Heads Up will send me a Formosa II to replace the Stearman since they don't have another Stearman.

I still have a few HiMax 2025 and 2015 geared motors which are fantastic replacement motors for GWS kits. That was originally what got me going back to GWS - but I am glad I did. I learned to fly on their planes, and it is fun to revisit them now that my skills are better. They do fly well, and it is nice to hear the sound of a geared motor again.

I am enjoying this thread - glad to see so much response. Thanks all.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Oct 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:48 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Just got word that Heads Up is sending the Formosa II as a replacement for the damaged Stearman -I am very pleased with the way they handled this problem. You don't get that kind of service from Hobby King.

And they do stock some of the GWS planes

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...its/Categories

Wolfe
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Roger,

Here are my ideas for making the original GWS Pico Tiger Moth and Beaver look better and with better performance, as GWS might NOT intend to release the better ones:

For Pico TM I'd like to suggest using
1. GWS foam wheels, GW/LFW-381/15 (38mm one for fitting 1.5mm piano wire), to replace the stock 45mm spike wheels. And GW/SCW-159/13 (15mm rubber wheel) for its tail wheel, you certainly need to bend a 1mm piano wire for fitting it, then insert/glue to the rudder for making a steerable one.

2. If you hate to simply use its plastic struts, just try to use them as the templates to cut off the same ones from 1.5mm or 1/16 balsa sheet, and glue these balsa struts to its same plastic ones, now you have the better looking and stiffer struts for your lovely PTM.
3. Try to buy a 80W 1000KV brushless outrunner motor and a GWS GWEMM28T motor mount, enlarge the stock motor stick into 9.5mm x 9.5mm one by glueing balsa sheets to the stock one, try to insert these sheets into the foam by 5mm before gluing them together. This way could make the original stick stronger. An ESC with 10A rating is required but I's suggest using the 20A one instead. This 80W outrunner could work well for PTM by spinning prop GWS EP8040 or EP8043 with 2S 800-1000mAh 15C Lipo. It is actually no need to apply WOT to take off.

For Beaver,
1. Use GWS foam wheels, GW/LFW-508/21 (51mm one for fitting 2.1mm piano wire) instead of the stock spike wheels. And GW/SCW-159/13 (15mm rubber wheel) to replace the stock spike one. The apply the same way as above for making a steerable tail wheel.

2. Try to buy a 100W 1000 or 1200KV brushless outrunner motor and a GWS GWEMM28T motor mount, and an ESC with 20A rating, a GWS prop EP9050 or EP1060. Using this motor and motor mount to replace the stock brushed one. This motor and the prop works well with 2S (use prop EP1060) or 3S (use prop EP9050) 1300 mAh 15 - 20C Lipo.

3. You need to reinforce its main wing by using Slow Stick's aluminum tubes, GW/AP097, and bamboo skewer or fiber glass or carbon rods in 3mm X 300mm. You need four rods for the reinforcements, one for the leading edge, the other one for the trailing edge. Of course you have to insert/glue these rods into the aluminum tubes first.

Hope these could be helpful.

Chen
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:45 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
twn chen,

If & when will Beavers be available again? I would love to have another one of those. Can't find them in stock anywhere in the States. Listed as discontinued in some places.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Oct 27, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:33 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,731 Posts
Custom GWS P-51D Mustang in a Crash!

From February 23, 2003 pictures I dug up as my buddy walking over to the field and hand launching his custom painted Ol Yeller GWS P-51D Mustang during a nice lunch time break.

Then it happened, my buddy went inverted for too long and too LOW and...

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:39 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,731 Posts
Custom GWS P-51D Mustang in a Crash! REPAIRED!

Fast forward a few weeks and here is my buddy's Mustang all put together again and re-painted.

This is how I recall why I Loved the GWS Models. Easy to put back together!

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:45 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,731 Posts
Recall the E-Starter!

A few pictures of my beloved and dearly departed / retired GWS E-Starter with the famous Astro Flight 010, 14-turn, brushless inrunner in the GWS EPS-300 gearbox with the 3.75:1 gear ratio and using 7-cells, Ni-MH's!

Those were the days!

One wheel landing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2011, 01:55 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Wow..great memories brought back by those photos Carlos!!...the Ole Yeller was a fun flier and yes...I did build several GWS as well as scratch built several blue core planes and it does give you a special satisfaction to fly a plane with unique personality!!!!...

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:20 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
I still have one E Starter, and I keep it on GWS floats because it seems the only time I fly it is when we go to a lake to float fly. This was my second EStarter, my first one was the plane I used to learn to fly 4 channels, and it got pretty beat up so I retired it.

I have 3 Slow Sticks. One that I keep on floats (a very simple and relaxing to fly float plane!), one is a 4 channel built with flat wings and ailerons that I use at our club's pylon racing, and one is a 3 channel standard set up that is sort of a back up plane.

In our club, other than the two I just mentioned, the only GWS planes I seem to see are the Formosa and Tiger Moth. I do think I have seen a few of the newer planes but don't know much about them, looking forward to hearing more about them here.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:19 PM
Joined Oct 2003
922 Posts
I agree, Heads Up RC is great. Problem for me is they won't ship planes to Canada.
I'd love to have a steerable tail wheel on my Beaver. I guess I'll search for a how-to.
Roger, about that HK Gee Bee R3 - How does it fly? That was a plane I was definitely considering as an easy quick replacement for my battered Corsair.
Oh, but how could I ever retire my Corsair? I just had it out today in what for me are very windy conditions and it flew pretty good! I hand launched and landed a couple times, and called it quits, but it could handle it. Better than I could anyway.
Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Oct 27, 2011, 03:43 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
That E-Starter does bring back memories - I cut some teeth on that one for sure.

I talked one of the beginners at the field into getting one to use as an aileron trainer - it should show up next week. I would bet once folks see it more of them will show up

I think it's only about 40 bucks now - how can you beat that?

Nice pics - thanks for posting those

Wolfe
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:09 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt View Post
I agree, Heads Up RC is great. Problem for me is they won't ship planes to Canada.
I'd love to have a steerable tail wheel on my Beaver. I guess I'll search for a how-to.
Roger, about that HK Gee Bee R3 - How does it fly? That was a plane I was definitely considering as an easy quick replacement for my battered Corsair.
Oh, but how could I ever retire my Corsair? I just had it out today in what for me are very windy conditions and it flew pretty good! I hand launched and landed a couple times, and called it quits, but it could handle it. Better than I could anyway.
Rob
I would have thought a tail dragger wheel on the Beaver should be pretty easy. Haven't flown the GeeBee yet - I've been away and when I've been home the wind has been too strong for me. Maybe not for the plane, but for me! Because my home flying field is a hay field, short at the moment but rough, I've taken the landing gear and the wing stays off which should mean it'll be even nippier.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 05:28 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
And just to put a little broader scope on this thread, although rather o/t what have these planes got in common? Apart from the fact they're all GWS?

They're all flying, or ready to be flown, as slope soarers.