SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:17 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Formosa flight...

This is my first in-flight video with my Keychain cam.
The cam was mounted under the wing of my Formosa.

It's a little dizzying, sorry.

Mosa edit.wmv (5 min 35 sec)
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:09 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Not a bad video at all, Bat.

That sure is a nice sports complex. Looks like a good place to fly

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Nov 26, 2011, 03:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Not a bad video at all, Bat.

That sure is a nice sports complex. Looks like a good place to fly

Wolfe
We are very fortunate to be able to fly there and very careful not to break anything and loose our permission.

The Mosa is such a sweet flying predictable plane that you can cut it loose a bit.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 04:21 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Is this place in China? Really wish that they specified an address so, I would know how much for shipping.

I have tried to order something just to find out that shipping one new EPO E-Starter is $16.00 to my door step!
Not sure if this was answered yet, but the store is located in City of Industry (near LA), California.
$16 shipping is not too bad.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Nov 26, 2011, 08:33 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Good luck on the maiden.

I have 175 watts on mine too - all kinds of power to spare

Wolfe
This is a very useful topic for me. Have one each a Formosa and Formosa II, both white NPS versions, ready to come out of their boxes. Still undecided on paint scheme and power choices. Not sure if want low KV w/bigger prop, for more aerobatics/3D or higher KV/smaller prop for pylon style racing speed. Has anyone tried both styles of flying on the Formosa, ie switched out the motor and found that th4 Formosas are more suited to either slow pattern flying or speed runs?
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Nov 27, 2011, 06:23 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Wind dropped down to around 10 mph tonight about an hour before dark. Got in 2 flights on the Formosa and 2 on my Gemini. Both flew well, starting to get pretty comfortable with the Formosa now.

Seems like she gets almost unlimited vertical - not that I would use that much. She cruises very well at half throttle and flies at less than that without losing altitude. She cuts the wind well, glides well, and slows down well to land.

Rolls are crisp - loops can be as large as you want them - she is stable inverted but not quite neutral yet. And she is pretty fast at full throttle.

Not much to complain about with this one - seems like an extremely good airplane.

Wolfe
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Just ordered the P-40 from Heads-Up. I have always liked the look of the P-40 and I think I still have one more HiMax 2025-4200 that will drop into it OK.

Was debating getting the 100mm Model from Nitro, but that one is a little large for my local flying field and I don't have all the electronics for that one

Wolfe
Old Nov 28, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Wolfe,

Are you using a single aileron servo in your Mosa?
I used a single on my first one and it worked great.
I plan on using duel servos on my new one mainly to eliminate the wing top clutter as I want to install a batt tray on top of it and it makes it easier to play with differential.

Bart
Old Nov 28, 2011, 03:41 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Bat,

Yes - I am using a single aileron servo - seems to work fine.

Wolfe
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:35 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Just found out, too late, that a UK retailer, had been doing, effectively, a fire sale, on a special stock of several models in the GWS range. I may still just be in with a chance of an A-10 (with fans) for half price but the last two half price Picomoths flew out of the shop on their way to Norwayand all the other hugely reduced stock has also gone. If the source of these models has been the UK importer destocking I reckon that pretty much pulls the plug for GWS in the UK. And fond as I am of GWS kits I'm not so fond of them that I'm prepared to pay shipping from the US, and even less likely Taiwan where their mail order department refuses to install a secure credit card system.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:47 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Ahhhh - too bad Roger - hope you get the A-10 at least

Wolfe
Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Roger,

A lot of US dealers have been selling out the Old foam EPS models in anticipation of the switch over to EPO.
I had to scrounge a bit to find an old foam Mosa before they were history.

Wondering if this is the case with your dealer.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:18 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I'm guessing the source for this particular dealer is the UK importer - you could be right about wanting to offload EPS stuff. Having said that I'm just building an EPO P51D and I'm not overjoyed by the quality of the mouldings. The outer surfaces are OK, if a little more bobbly than my EPO HK Moth, but some of the various jointing faces have either voids or are just light of material. Get the impression that either the polyolefin isn't flowing in the moulds like polystyrene did, or the QC is slipping.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:35 PM
Woodland Park, CO
Joined Jul 2000
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Wolfe,

Are you using a single aileron servo in your Mosa?
I used a single on my first one and it worked great.
I plan on using duel servos on my new one mainly to eliminate the wing top clutter as I want to install a batt tray on top of it and it makes it easier to play with differential.

Bart
Another advantage is programming in flaperons and spoilerons. Mine really slows down to land with 20° of flaps. I'll use the spoilerons to kill altitude if I'm long on approach and don't want to go around for some reason.
Tim K is offline Find More Posts by Tim K
Old Nov 29, 2011, 04:12 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I just checked the importers website and no, its clear there's a load of destocking been going on. Stuff that was out of stock used still to be shown as on backorder. Now those planes have simply disappeared.

http://www.jperkinsdistribution.co.u...at=29&cat=ARTF - GWS&Navmain=Aircraft - ARTF & Kits

My American friends and fellow GWS fans imagine if this was all you had to choose from, and what you had to pay for it (in ball park terms uplift the £stg price number by 50% to get the US$ price) and weep for us. Note that J-10 at £96.99 - call it $150 - 20% more than you'd pay at Caliber. Mind you, who wants a J-10?