HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:20 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I pillaged the GWS esc I use in my Islander and powered up the PicoMoth...everthing works as it should....Now I read in the PM (PicoMoth) thread that a guy uses a 1850mah 2S and flies for 1.5 hours.....I plan on using the same batteries (1300mah 2S) I use in the BN2....I'm thinking an hours worth of flying time....haha
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Yeah, Jim,

You should a good long flight with a 1300 2s

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:29 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,245 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
Thanks Phoam for the links. I went with the GWS motor mount that is for 28mm to 35mm motors because it was in stock. It looks a tad big and I think that is what was messing me up. It mounts best with the motor out front and the stick in the bottom hole, almost center as seen in the pics. Thinking I will mount the 30amp ESC inside of the cowl as it is sorta large and can benefit from the massive air flow 2" from the prop. I think it will work, what do you all think.
Aeronca, I have been bitten by the electric bug and it stings. I find myself looking at my glow planes and imagining a electric motor hanging off of the nose of them. I am very new to the electric power thing and this forum is full of all kinds of great info. Hats off to all that lend a hand to those of us new to electric and foam. Monday I ordered a slowstick for the daughter to fool with, well me to. It will soon be a stick biplane just for poops and grins.
As far as vendors go I am a whore for cheap shipping and Heads up has that, $7 to ship the Corsair and a bunch of odds and ends in a big box from Florida to NY, heck yah I will take some more of that, that felt good.
Your 28-35mm mount does look a bit big on a 28mm motor. You probably know already that the 28mm GWS mount I linked to (out of stock) would fit the diameter of your motor real nice. Looks like that mount is sold out with several vendors right now. No reason not use the one you have on hand though, if it clears the firewall.

I'm a cheap-shipping whore as well. Out of the two dozen or so GWS kits I've ordered, almost all were shipped to me free of charge from Tower Hobbies as I order when they have free shipping on $99 minimum orders a couple times each month (like right now). Nothin' like receiving 3 or 4 kits at once with no shipping cost.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:10 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
I got a 6 pack of the GWS 28mm from Tower Hobbies last week. Too bad I'm in India or I'd ship you one.

Or, you can order a 2-pack from Hobbyzone (in stock)
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/GWSEMM28TS.html
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Feb 28, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
(Ref: this thread, Post #1703)
On a 610 mAh 2s, I'll fly my Pico Moth lazily, just putting around. Then I'll switch to a 750 mAh 3S for more power to hammerheads and inverted flight as much as the Pico TM airframe allows. The extra weight is noticeable on the wings. I was thinking of reinforcing the wings but decided not to add the extra weight. I like having the flyweight option, powering off from 30 feet up from a hundred yards and gliding home (on calm days).

I imagine a 1300 mAh lipo wil give some long flight times. I'm going to try it but will for sure refrain from loops.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 08:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,307 Posts
Phoam, I think the larger motor mount will work. I don't think it is ideal but it does clear the firewall. Thank you, nice to know about Tower.

Ok Leabres, here in the states we buy beer by the six pack and for good reason. A six pack of motor mounts tells me you are fueling your rc addiction. I'm with ya my friend, I buy things ahead for the just in case times as well. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

I am interested in the long flight times Leabres speaks of. Putting a 450 class motor with a 1060 gws prop, 30 amp esc driven by a 1300mah 50c 3s battery in the corsair, what kind of flight times can I expect? I have hogged out the battery area on the corsair halves so I can fit op to a 2200mah but think it will be to heavy for the little plane so 1300mah more than likely will be the ticket for the corsair.
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:47 PM
Clarkston, MI
Joined Apr 2005
102 Posts
Epo formosa

Here is a pic of my epo formosa that is still in the works. My second formosa but my first ever epo plane. Does epo handle belly landing well or should i cover with packing tape?
imjony5 is offline Find More Posts by imjony5
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:57 AM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Mosa Back From The Grave

My Mosa crashed over a month ago, the worst damage from a spinning dropping 100+ feet onto concrete (either radio glitch or aileron servo failure). I picked up the pieces and after a month decided to gorilla glue it all back together.

Flew her two days ago and she still loves, acted like nothing happened! Flew as straight as before but no longer the pretty lady.

Will try and video the next flight.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:42 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Yep, my EPS Zero has been crashed many times and thought totaled three times. Chunks of foam missing but covered over with tape.
Somehow it goes back together and is still one of my best flyers..
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,307 Posts
Not a GWS but still a total destruction and one of my best fliers. Snapped into the ground, the only real loss was the 4000mah 4s battery. Epo is some tough stuff, for really warped or compressed parts try putting them in boiling water as more so than not they come back to shape.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,307 Posts
Started the GWS Corsair tonight, well put the razor knife to it anyways. I did not want to cut the wings for dual aileron servos so I decided to modify the stock parts with some pushrod casing. The ailerons work flawlessly and smooth as glass as the inside diameter of the push rod tubing is larger than the tiny rubber tubing the kit comes with. It allows the linkage rod to follow a straighter path and makes it bind free. For those that wish to use one servo for the ailerons this method works. I will fill the void of the wing in with light spackle to hide the linkage tubes before paint.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:44 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
Very nice P-40 Semperfi
Who makes that model? FMS?
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:53 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Looks good, SF

Wolfe
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:12 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Starting on my 2nd Mosa 2 today. Probably will take a while to build this one, but at least I got started. Just trying to cut the pieces out today mostly

Wolfe
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,307 Posts
Thanks guys, it looks as good as it can being re built. I went with yellow for no other reason than that is the paint I had on hand. It is a FMS 1400mm series, Great flying model, bucket loads of power but the foam is less than dense compared to other FMS models and nothing like the GWS's foam quality. I cant say enough about how pleased I am with the GWS epo foam.