HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:33 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Yeah - That whole thing started about the time I got into the hobby. Actually, I have a vague memory of seeing that plane fly out behind a middle school here in the Clearwater area many years ago.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 13, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:58 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
But don't you wish for example that the warbirds would be say the size of the Mosa 2?

The P-38 is the biggest of the bunch at 47.2"...

Somebody build one already!
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:49 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
190 and p40 are in 40" ws range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
The P-38 is the biggest of the bunch at 47.2"...
ok, fair enough. I stand corrected. I am not sure why I dismissed the P40, it really is almost 40". The 190 I completely missed becuase headsuprc doesn't seem to carry it. The P-38? don't even get me started, its double trouble . Not sure I am ready to go there yet...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:08 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
What is your magic trick talking your wife into this?
Haha, I think the phrase 'If you can't beat 'em, join 'em ' springs to mind.
On the subject of the Tiger Moth, I quite fancied doing a UK coast to coast flight. I did some sums, and I think it could be done in a day, with 20 stops for battery changes. I have already spoken to a mate who has a convertable VW who is willing to drive me as I fly!!!
davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:16 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
I recall that some pilots thought flying GWS P-38 was an interesting challenge when setting differential thrusts instead of using rudder on it at the time when this warbird was released. I think that the later released 3-blade props with normal/counter pitches add more juice on it.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Any of you guys ever use FoamTac glue? Just got some I am going to try out.
Wow, a lot of posts today!

I used th FoamTac on my Islander. It worked great and I don't think you need to wait as long as they say.

Let us know how you like it.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:03 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
I got the cabanes onthe the Pico Moth the other day. But I'm unsure of mounting the top wing to the outer supports. They don't quite match the curve of the wing
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,135 Posts
Just read through this guy's blog. Amazingly skilled modeler. After looking at his P-38 makes me want to build one......... Maybe not.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=187312
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Last edited by Vince_TT; Feb 14, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:48 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,010 Posts
Why doesn't it have a rudder? Would it not make sense to add one?

EDIT: 2 rudders that is...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:09 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
JDM,

Yeah - those cabanes never fit perfectly. Take an xacto knife and cut them ever so slightly into the wings so the vertical parts - front and back - have a snug fit. Make sure the wing is not warped - and then just do the best you can.

You might want to take a small piece of balsa and reinforce the joint between the vertical parts and the upper wing

Wolfe
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:20 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Rainy Day,

Just finished a work deadline, winds are unusually calm, but we have had a light rain all day so far. Would like to be flying - don't really have to work today, although there is always something I could do.

Building a Hacker Super Zoom 2 while I am waiting for another Techone plane to show up - should come today or tomorrow. Airframe is assembled and just starting to put in the electronics

Have been using a combinations of Foam Tac and CA on this build - am pretty happy with the Foam Tac so far. Will probably use it exclusively when I get to the Mosa 2 build - coming soon

I have the Moth 400 and the Mosa 1 loaded up just in case the rain stops - hope it will - need an M & M Fix - think about it LOL

Wolfe
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
JDM,

Yeah - those cabanes never fit perfectly. Take an xacto knife and cut them ever so slightly into the wings so the vertical parts - front and back - have a snug fit. Make sure the wing is not warped - and then just do the best you can.

You might want to take a small piece of balsa and reinforce the joint between the vertical parts and the upper wing

Wolfe
Thanks. My first biplane was a scratchbuild. I flew it a few times and parked on my bookshelf...I have 4 biplanes now. Not sure when I'll get to flying the TM...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:09 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
One can never have too many Bipes

Wolfe
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:14 PM
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
Yeah- I was just harping about a P38 in EPO and how IF it was made I would be on board in an instant (Mr Phoam, are you reading this?). I have two Exceed Rocket 2200-1500 that I have tested at 305w on 3s spinning a three-blade 9x6. I think the 75g per would be a great counter to any tail-heavy tendencies that might arise from EPO.

I prefer the EPO and don't mind the higher wing loading- I build my GWs kits usually to belly land and if it is built to come in on landing gear you can bet it is not supplied by GWS which is way too flimsy. I know the lightly built EPS planes really 'dance' up there but I always seem to be in some kind of wind and don't mind the weight. I guess that I have gotten better at the sticks :-)

BTW I got a TS 190 from HeadsUp and I wonder if that's why they never got the GWS version......
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
Last edited by str8.cash; Feb 14, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2010
62 Posts
One last thought....I am on my second formosa i fuse and am contemplating doing something with the extra wings...any one try rigging up a bipe???
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash