Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:30 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
Yes, with my Son on the buddy cord. We were way too low. I also didn't release the trainer button when I meant to take over... before we go again with the Cessna or with the e-starter (when I finally get it) we will need to practice on the SIM.

The week before there was a kid that was eager to fly at field and we shared the stick. he had a blast and it worked out great so I thought it will be even easier with a buddy box. Wrong! Much like anything else in RC I guess you need practicing buddy boxing as well. How do you do it with your kids/grandkids?

Can you tell I am trying to kill the Mosa?
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
It does take practice on the buddy box.

I tend to takeoff and get the plane up at least 100 ft, then give them control. The trick is take control back sooner rather than later, and make sure your throttle stick is set up pretty high when they are flying so you have some power to work with right away when you take control back

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 10, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:09 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
I set mine up so that he only gets control over the Ailerons and Elevator, while I still have control over the rudder and throttle (though of course that didn't help)...

Next time I will keep my fingers only over the trainer switch as oppose to both switch and stick so that I am forced to let it go...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:47 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,179 Posts
I did buddy box with my friends' kids many times and that was extremely difficult at beginning. First, I needed to remember flipping the switch back and forth "before" things really went bad. Second, the kids did not feel 100% in control and keep asking " is it my term now?". Especially when I screamed "pull up!" but kids said "I don't have the control!". Next thing was me moving all the sticks and switches crazily to see who has the control.... after a couple tries, I gave them rudder and elevator, I use ailerons to keep the plane from rolling too much too quick. I bet they have forgotten everything now, so I might need to start over this spring....
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
LOL. Too funny! That's exactly it.

Maybe I will practice with someone who actually knows how to fly first just to get the mechanics right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:03 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I give them full control. Seems like they will learn to actually fly faster in the end. I just try to have them keep the plane at about 100 ft. And if they drop down to around 50 ft I take it back.

My biggest problem was that I always tended to shut down my throttle when they had control - not sure why - I really kind of did that automatically without really thinking about it. So I have to remind myself to keep the throttle up so I instantly have some power to work with in a crunch.

They are all at the point now that they want to take off and land by themselves - "Oh Lord please keep us out of the trees at least" LOL

Wolfe
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:14 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8.cash View Post
Yay!!!! The GWS 35mm mounts are here!!!!

Lighter and way cheaper than the metal alternatives. Another fantastic addition to the GWS hardware line. In additon, I particularly like these as stand alone retainers

Hey Mr Chen! Do you know if / when the P-38 will coming out in EPO?
I've had one of them 'newfangled' motor mounts for well over a year from GorillaBob's. Though I do see a typo in his size description.

And my boxed up P-38 is made of EPO. I think they began offering them as EPO since around 2010.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:15 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,228 Posts
whoops dbl post
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
I see. 38mm vs 35mm...I am sure they are both the same.

The Lightning I thought was EPS because they offered it in 'painted' models- green, sliver, etc.

Mr Phoam: Do you have a product number of the EPO P-38 that I can look up ? Is it GWAEO 023? I would get one in an instant.

An update on the P51 Reno Racer I was contemplating making out of a GWS-51. I ended up with a buddy's ParkZone P51 (for free, practically) and will clip the wings for a .10 size race,using spare parts in the already swollen personal inventory. I really dig the flight characteristics of this plane; well suited to the EPO material in that this type of foam is almost too dense (read: heavy) for anything smaller and too flexible for anything bigger (without throwing in a ton of CF to reinforce). Will post some pics soon but don't expect a masterpiece because of the condition of the fuse- did I mention it was free?
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:45 PM
Unregistered User
United States, CO
Joined Feb 2013
291 Posts
I don't know where to post my topic so please forgive me if this is incorrect. I'm building a 46.3" brushless Slow Stick from an NPS kit. This is what I have so far:

Motor - Integy 300W 1000KV 28mm Brushless Outrunner
ESC - Integy 30A (came with motor)
Receiver - Spektrum AR400
Servos - Spektrum A3030 23oz
Props - APC 8x4.7 Thin Electric
Prop Saver - Eflite EFLM1914

I'm not clear on what battery to use. I have a few each of 3S 2200mAh 20C and 2S 1300mAh 20C for other planes and helis. I'm looking for a slow flight, as I'm still learning how to fly. Should I use one of the batteries above or should I invest in new with a different rating?

Also, does anyone see any issues with the above items so far?

The instructions and specs in the GWS kit are not so good... perhaps "Lost in translation." And unfortunately the motor and ESC didn't come with any specs as well.

Thanks for any help!
LonB is offline Find More Posts by LonB
Last edited by LonB; Feb 15, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:44 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya Lon,

I would think that 300 watts is way more motor than you need on a Slow Stick, but will probably work. I think you will have to use your 2200 3s batteries with that motor since it would probably put too much amp draw on your 2 cell batteries.

The slow stick has a LOT of wing, so it can carry a pretty heavy load, but at least somewhat at the expense of slower flight abilities.

Heads Up RC recommends a 140 watt motor http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...trunner/Detail. I would probably go with 180 - 200 watt motor. But as I said, the SS can probably carry the extra weight of your 300 watt motor and 2200 3s batteries

You may have unlimited vertical LOL. So be careful not to rip the wings off

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 12, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:56 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonB View Post
I don't know where to post my topic so please forgive me if this is incorrect. I'm building a 46.3" brushless Slow Stick from an NPS kit. This is what I have so far:

Motor - Integy 300W 1000KV 28mm Brushless Outrunner
ESC - Integy 30A (came with motor)
Receiver - Spektrum AR400
Servos - Spektrum A3030
Props - APC 8x4.7 Thin Electric
Prop Saver - Eflite EFLM1914

I'm not clear on what battery to use. I have a few each of 3S 2200mAh 20C and 2S 1300mAh 20C for other planes and helis. I'm looking for a slow flight, as I'm still learning how to fly. Should I use one of the batteries above or should I invest in new with a different rating?

Also, does anyone see any issues with the above items so far?

The instructions and specs in the GWS kit are not so good... perhaps "Lost in translation." And unfortunately the motor and ESC didn't come with any specs as well.

Thanks for any help!
Ours has 128W and weighs 20oz and is grossly over powered.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:11 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,927 Posts
110 watts on mine at 14oz. It does okay, I guess with 35oz thrust.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:23 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Lon,

Welcome to our forum - meant to say that sooner. You questions about the SS are more than welcome here - anything to do with GWS and really, anything else you fly if you are going to be a regular here

This is a VERY good group of people. I hope you will participate regularly with us

Wolfe