Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:21 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Well, I have never owned a 3ch trainer. I learned from 4ch warbirds. So when my friend asked me to teach his kids flying with a high wing trainer, I was scared to death flying that thing! No response on the ailerons! and enevtually lost that plane. I ended up letting the kids flying my GWS Spit and T1 plane (buddy box). Just can't fly without ailerons!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:06 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,433 Posts
Him: "Honey are you sleeping?"

Him: "Honey are you sleeping?"

Her: "I was! What do you want?!"

Him: "Where did you put the Drill?"

Her: "You and your damn Hobby. I am not telling you, and I am going back to bed. Oh and make yourself comfortable on the couch tonight! "

I am still waiting for the e-starter to come in stock (on back-order with LHS). Caliber Hobby says two to three more weeks.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:01 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Well, I have never owned a 3ch trainer. I learned from 4ch warbirds. So when my friend asked me to teach his kids flying with a high wing trainer, I was scared to death flying that thing! No response on the ailerons! and enevtually lost that plane. I ended up letting the kids flying my GWS Spit and T1 plane (buddy box). Just can't fly without ailerons!
Same here dude. I Scratchbuild a 3 channel low wing plane with cupped wings. I drove it around before flying to get the feel of steering with my right fingers. I decreased the dihedral wingtips and the plane flew really well actually.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:19 AM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Looks like I will be making a normal wing set for the TM. Don't like the cupped wings and all that dihedral. I just need to build a battery box for a 1320
Sounds like you might prefer the TM 400. It took me a while to get used to the look of undercambered wings, but they work very well on the Pico TM. Try to keep the AUW under 8oz if using the stock IPS motor.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:37 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I like 3 channels for training purposes - they are a little smoother and slower to respond - better for 7 and 8 year old grand kids.

I agree that the Pico Moth flys extremely well stock if you keep the weight down.

Arnav - you got that right LOL. She told me this morning she loaned the drill to one of the kids - guess I will have a new drill today

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:43 AM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Randy is building a GWS BN2.

randys rc hobbyroom gws bn2 build 1 (10 min 26 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:47 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Yeah, it's those undercambered wings that enable the Pico Moth to fly so slowly. Cover them like a flat-bottom wing and the stall speed will be increased.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:56 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
I like 3 channels for training purposes - they are a little smoother and slower to respond - better for 7 and 8 year old grand kids.

I agree that the Pico Moth flys extremely well stock if you keep the weight down.

Arnav - you got that right LOL. She told me this morning she loaned the drill to one of the kids - guess I will have a new drill today

Wolfe
I actually think I should teach kids flying with 3ch plane first so they will learn how to turn and roll the plane using rudder. I barely used any rudder while flying warbirds, so I had a hard time adjusting myself when I started sport and 3D.
When I buddy-box with kids, I disable ailerons on their TX, so I still have full control if needed.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:14 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Strange how he received two fuses, rudders and elevators in the kit.

The Islander looks a bit more interesting than an E-starter. What do folks power them with if an 1800mAh is too big?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:23 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,356 Posts
I got my Pico J3-S today. I have the tail parts hinged. I have the
stick glued to the horizontal stabilizer. Now to let it sit for a while.

The stick that came with it is very heavy. 23g. We ordered a couple
extras and they are 8g. I am using one of the replacement sticks.
Brad thinks the original is oak. The replacements are spruce.

Edit;

An hour later and I have all the fuselage parts on, the motor
and landing gear installed. Now to look for some servos.

Found a couple iflight iS300's, perfect!

Brad is going to look for some CF for the wings in place of
the bamboo.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Last edited by Kimber; Jan 25, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:05 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post

The Islander looks a bit more interesting than an E-starter. What do folks power them with if an 1800mAh is too big?
I used a 1300mAh 2s, it fits through the stock hatch. I cut a little foam out of forward batt compartment to help with CG. It flys fast on the 300 motors.

I did separate servos for the ailerons and the EDF main gear which looked sturdier than the scale gear. EDF gear does good on grass.

Good luck, Bart
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:54 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Good luck, Bart
Good luck? Are you implying that I should have one despite me already having 16 unbuilt GWS kits lying about?

Are the 300 motors brushless? Could have a 300 kit shipped to me for under $60...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:

It is interesting. I have two brushed 100's and a GWS esc with a 2S 1320mah. This plane will make you a good lander. Hence it's name, I lander...lol. Really good scale takeoffs. Rolls with nose up for a bit. Landings you gotta keep power on as it sets up with a mild alpha on landing approaches
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:26 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,433 Posts
Quote:
....despite me already having 16 unbuilt GWS kits lying about?
Some people put aside Gold, others Silver for a rainy day. I think that keeping GWS kits for post apocalyptic days is a much more sensible idea. I mean, how else are we going to pass our time if civilization crumble?
Just remember to get that solar array thing going and you are all set.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:09 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
Gold and silver do me no good if they fly like bricks. Besides, I have a few boxed up Pico Moths now worth their weight in gold

Thanks Jim. So you and Bart agree that it goes well with a 1300 2S, and Randy and his tie-dye shirt are gonna use an 1800 3S?