HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:02 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I thought Hyperion was over priced in the past and I was dripping over Hyperion Me109 for loooong time. I heard that AlleRC.com might not re-stock Hyperion models after the current inventory running out. so I picked up the Extra 35e and the Yak 55sp (now out-of-stock) and am very happy now. I also want the Sniper but am afraid it flies too similar to my T1 Yak. So, I am interested in hearing your comparison between Sniper and Swift. I am concerning your Emax not having enough torque for a 48" plane.
I've got two Snipers, but no Swift. I love them both. The small Sniper is great for 3D in tight outdoor spaces, and will handle moderate wind with ease. The big Sniper is more floaty but less agile, and needs a bit more room. It'll get bounced around more by the wind.

They both have a relatively long tail moment compared to some 3D planes, so they're good sport flyers as well. Construction is simple and robust, and being EPP, they're hard to kill.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:51 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well I suppose we should get back to GWS before we turn this into a 3D thread LOL.

I still have not decided what to build next. Been cleaning the hangar and organizing little bitty parts - man that always takes forever.

The only GWS planes I have in a box right now are the Mosa 2 and a back up Moth 400. Don't need the Moth since the first one is flying fine. Giving the Mosa 2 some thought.

I jut about have my build table cleaned off - so we shall see.

What glue are you guys using on the fuse halves these days? I still have not found one I am really happy with on the new foam.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:04 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,521 Posts
Mosa 2... Mosa 2...

I just boiled mine today, will hopefully glue it tomorrow....

I like epoxy or contact cement. I found epoxy to hold better over time plus you can wiggle it into place which is basically impossible to do with contact cement. Just wipe it with alcohol if it squeezes out between the halves while it is still wet.

If I build another Mosa I would not glue the servos straight in but rather use shrink tubing. I also think the Mosa will benefit from ball links. Its a great frame and I think it can benefit from a high quality setup. At Vince's suggestion I also liked it WBPU'd. Made everything even stiffer. Not to go back to 3D, but it is 3D capable so it deserve a quality build ...
I feel like over time my Mosa's never flew like when they were new, and I think due in part for the setup (esp if you fly it hard).
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Jan 17, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:51 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,228 Posts
I'm surprised that the GWS P-38 isn't a more commonly built and flown plane within this thread. I've had one NIB on the shelf and it calls out to me all the time begging for attention, but first I need to finish up a GWS Corsair and get one of my Formosas built.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:59 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Deleting post

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 17, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 08:43 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,228 Posts
Here's a worthy review of the GWS-38:

P-38 Lightning (by GWS) FLIGHT & Box Review (9 min 54 sec)
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:22 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Good video - thanks for posting that

Wolfe
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:21 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Heya All,

Well I decided to build the Groovy first - about halfway through the build now. I am thinking that this plane will fly a lot like a Formosa 1.5 LOL. If so, I will be pretty happy with it.

Hoping to get out this afternoon and get some Formosa 1 time. She made it through the trim flights just fine - not sure what I thought was wrong with her - but she seems good now. Maybe I fixed whatever it was and just don't remember doing it.

I can do that - I am a senior citizen LOL

Vince - I am thinking you might be right about using better servos on the Sniper. What do you think about these? http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...g-Metal/Detail

Wolfe
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:04 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I did get out late this afternoon. Winds just under 10 and gusting some. The Mosa 1 did pretty well, but she was noticeably drifting sideways flying across the wind - still she handles the wind well for a small airplane.

Winds at around 7 mph all day tomorrow - should get some flying in

Wolfe
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:40 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Built this classic GWS trainer Pico FD just for mellow relaxing flights

GWS Pico FD Slow Flyer Review - Awesome First Trainer Foam Plane (2 min 8 sec)
TheLeabres is online now Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jan 19, 2013, 08:51 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
That is a classic - don't see many of those - looks good. I haven't flown on of those little IPS motors in a very long time

I just finished repairs on one of my Pico Moths for same reason - slow and sedate - another classic. I think I have had this one for well over 10 years - she just keeps going. Not sure if the wind will drop down enough to fly her tomorrow - but maybe.

Wolfe
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,123 Posts
Yes indeed, I still have my GWS pico Tiger Moth and she is a delight...

Tiger Moth Brushless Himax 2212-1180 (2 min 35 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:07 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I like your paint job, Pitt. Thanks for posting the video

Wolfe
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:39 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Got in 4 more Mosa 1 flights this afternoon. Ran 2 of the 4 batteries inverted the whole time trying to do figure eights at about 20 ft up and maintain constant altitude - not so good at that yet.

The Mosa certainly flies well upside down, though

Too windy for the Pico Moth today

Wolfe
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:44 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I scooped up a pico moth today...$29 isn't too bad...place had an airframe for 20 also
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim