HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:48 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
GWS E-Starter Maiden Flight Review HD (0 min 57 sec)
Helped my buddy complete his E-Starter and had a successful maiden this morning. I tell everyone the E-Starte is the best trainer for first-time aileron use. This has an Exceed RC Alpha 400 920kv, 10X4.7 SF, 3 Detrum 9gr servos, and completely easy to fly but can be a bit floaty if trying to bring down to land on short notice. For the price, it doesn't get better.
TheLeabres is online now Find More Posts by TheLeabres
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:32 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
It is hard to beat the ES for price/performance.

Just finished setting up the Moth 400 and the Stearman on the new DX8. I am going to start out with all throws set to 70/90/110% travel an the low, mid and high rates and 25/30/35% expo (low to high) and see what happens. Wind is on the edge today so not sure if I will risk test flights today or not

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Winds did drop so I got in some flights on the Moth 400, PZ Spitfire and PZ SE5a. Got them all trimmed out and all are flying well.

Had a really nice sunset flight on the Moth - very fulfilling - such a good airplane.

Wolfe

Got about 10 planes set back up on the new radio this weekend. Still need to test fly and trim the 3DHS Edge 540 and the GWS Stearman, but the others have all been flown and trimmed out. I have enough variety now to match moods and wind conditions so I feel like I am back in business. Feels good!!!
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 13, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 06:43 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Got in a few more flights late this afternoon. Trimmed up 2 more planes and had another sunset Moth flight - so peaceful

Wolfe
Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:57 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Winds are supposed to drop down around 5 mph late this afternoon. If they do, I hope to fly the Stearman and maybe the Formosa 1. Last time I flew the Mosa she was acting a little strange, so we will see how she does

Wolfe
Old Jan 15, 2013, 01:30 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Good luck to your flight! man, it was 55 degree yesterday but 37 now..wish I lived in the south.

Seems like you enjoy different types of flying, the slow/floaty Stearman versus agile T1 Swift. I actually found I am much better a pilot after starting 3D, now I can land my GWS 190 (the only warbird I still fly) without bending the retracts.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:06 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Thanks. Vince,

I do enjoy different flying styles. I love the dawn and dusk flights on planes like the Moth and Stearman when the winds are down - although I don't do "dawn flights much anymore - prefer to fly in the late afternoons or early evening

But I also like the midwind 3D type planes for their challenge and agility. I don't really fly 3D - nor do I really want to - but these planes are fun and do very well in the wind, so I get to fly more using them.

I also have a couple of WWII Warbirds - Ripmax 48" Balsa Spitfire and PZ Spitfire. I like those too sometimes. Have flown all of the GWS warbirds in the past, but don't have any of those at the moment. I really cut my teeth on those way back when. Now I seem to prefer the GWS bipes and Formosa's.

Plus I always keep a couple of trainers around for kids and grandkids to fly when I can get them out to the field. I just fly those now and then to make sure they are still ready

I agree that flying the 3D planes seems to just make you a better pilot. In comparison, everything else just seems to get easier to fly.

If I could only have one airplane, It would be hard to choose between the GWS Formosa 1, theTechOne Swift, the GWS Moth 400 and the MPX Gemini

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 15, 2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:05 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
It would be impossible for me to choose just one plane or even one brand!
For GWS, my favorites are 190 and Spit. the 190 is The Plane I have spent tons of hours in fitting retracts, flaps, etc. So she always has a spot in my transmitter.

Have not flown my TechOne for a while. I even gut my Pulama out for parts. But I still have three T1 (two Yak 54 and one Funfly) available for teaching kids flying.

Have many balsa 3Ds from different leading brands. To me, the look is more important than how them fly, of course all of them fly great.

And I love bipe! I had two Pitts Special, always want a Gemini, a Stearman and a s.e. 5. My now go-to plane is an ElectriFly Ultimate, she can fly at walk speed but can also do all the crazy stuns, that airframe is so light and strong that I can land her on rough grass even her wheels are only 1.75"in diameter. Unfortunately GP discontinued this product. Now I am helping a Chinese RC factory develop a 55" Pitts S12. Hopefully it will turn into something wonderful.

All of the addictions comes from a GWS Zero.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:08 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
Have not read all the thread,, but,, are there plans for the balsa
wing for the Slow Stick?? Or do we just invent something along
the way?
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:33 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I don't know about plans for a balsa SS wing. It would not surprise me if some exist, but I have never seen them.

I did get out and get a couple flights each on the Stearman and the Mosa 1. Both flew well, but I think I stripped a gear on the Stearrman motor. I use a HiMax geared on that plane, and she started making funny noises at the end of the second flight. Will have to figure out the problem eventually and fix it

Wolfe

Had an thought on your SS wing - I would bet that a MiniTelemaster wing would work
Last edited by wolfewinde; Jan 15, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:49 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
the way?
Hi Kimber!

I have a prototype wing from James Karpy the Inventor and owner of Millennium RC

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646592

The wing is designed to use all stock GWS SLOW STICK plastic parts!!!

Here is mine:

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:54 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,731 Posts
Quote:
the way?
Kimber,

You can try....

http://www.flyerc.com/

or ...

http://www.gorillabobsrc.com/catalog...9voqumdudcpu20
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:55 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
That is a nice wing

Wolfe
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:11 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,593 Posts
That's all the info I needed, thanks a bunch..

K
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:20 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,731 Posts
Quote:
That's all the info I needed, thanks a bunch..

K
You are WELCOMED
RCG Plus Member