HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:32 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
I flew my E-Starter this morning using a 1000 mAh and then a 1300 mAh. Even with the slight change in lipo weight, the change in flying characteristics was noticeable. Let us know how your maiden goes. After you see all what she can do with a 2000 mAh pack, try the 1300 mAh and see the difference!
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Last edited by TheLeabres; Dec 29, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: correct typo
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:31 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
And here I was hoping to get away with the set of 2600mah I already have (so that I don't need to maintain a separate set of batts for it)...
The smallest I can use for my other Planes is 2200mah so that would have been my choice to order. But the smaller capacity batts are not expensive (< $10) so I guess I can grab a few which would make it floatier for him.

The unfortunate thing is that I called my LHS to follow up on my order and they said the Distributer said it is not expected until mid Jan. I emailed headsuprc and they said it is backordered with no ETA. Tower is out of stock as well. Anyone else carry GWS kits in the US?

I annihilated the Mosa II today. I took my Son to fly it with a buddy box (first time I'm using a buddy box). As soon as I passed control over to him, it nosed dived. I am not sure exactly what happened, but I suspect that while I corrected up, I didn't release the trainer switch . We should have trained buddy boxing on the SIM first... I am not upset, I wasn't flying it anymore and it was just sitting around. I haven't decided if I'll fix it or not.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:52 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
The unfortunate thing is that I called my LHS to follow up on my order and they said the Distributer said it is not expected until mid Jan. I emailed headsuprc and they said it is backordered with no ETA. Tower is out of stock as well. Anyone else carry GWS kits in the US?
If you're looking for the Formosa II, headsuprc has them in stock.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
No no, the E-starter...

HH claims it will be in stock as well on 1/10/2013 so that is encouraging.

Wow, I didn't realize they have SO many dealers in the US. I will sift through them later to see if someone has one in stock.

I just saw the slowstick is in stock as well @ headuprc, so that is another option, right? Forgive my ignorance but i just realized it is even bigger than the e-starter (for some reason I thought the slow stick was tiny). I remember an inconclusive discussion here sometime back about slowstick as a first Plane. I guess it is a matter of personal preference/experience.

It seems it can accommodate the power up 400 Sport that is already on the way. headsuprc recommends the power up 400 slowfly (so I am assuming the sport one will work as well).

I will meditate on the two Models later... maybe the slow stick with its bigger wing span can accommodate larger batts better.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
Quote:
Forgive my ignorance but i just realized it is even bigger than the e-starter (for some reason I thought the slow stick was tiny). I remember an inconclusive discussion here sometime back about slowstick as a first Plane. I guess it is a matter of personal preference/experience.
There are two "smaller" models that are very similar to the Larger Slow Stick and they are:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCGKS&P=FR
http://www2.gpmd.com/imagel/g/lgwsa1210.jpg

and.......

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXCGKR&P=FR
http://www2.gpmd.com/imagel/g/lgwsa1205.jpg
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Dec 29, 2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,774 Posts
Quote:
No no, the E-starter...

HH claims it will be in stock as well on 1/10/2013 so that is encouraging.

Wow, I didn't realize they have SO many dealers in the US. I will sift through them later to see if someone has one in stock.

I just saw the slowstick is in stock as well @ headuprc, so that is another option, right? Forgive my ignorance but i just realized it is even bigger than the e-starter (for some reason I thought the slow stick was tiny). I remember an inconclusive discussion here sometime back about slowstick as a first Plane. I guess it is a matter of personal preference/experience.

It seems it can accommodate the power up 400 Sport that is already on the way. headsuprc recommends the power up 400 slowfly (so I am assuming the sport one will work as well).

I will meditate on the two Models later... maybe the slow stick with its bigger wing span can accommodate larger batts better.
Ah, ok. Yes, the E-starters are all out of stock from what I can tell. I've checked several sites and they're all out of stock right now.

As for the Slowstick, They are excellent "1st planes" for the new pilot, but they don't like very much wind. That under cambered airfoil tends to toss them around quite a bit once the winds get a hold of them. Even still, these are fun planes to fly around. Only 3 channels (no ailerons) so turning is all by rudder. As for batteries, these will easily haul up a 2200mah battery pack with no trouble at all. As well as a decent digital camera setup. Many people use these for aerial photography. The power up 400 'sport' motor will work fine on the slowstick. Something like a GWS 9X4.7SF will keep things tame, and then you can always "prop up" if needed. With the power up 400 sport, I wouldn't go over a GWS 9X5 prop (as recommended on the website). Personally, I think the 9X4.7SF 'slow fly' prop will be better because you get more thrust out of them at lower rpm's than the standard GWS "EP" props. Which is what you want for the slowstick.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:06 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
This time of the year the wind may be an issue (10mph on average?). Summer time is a different story... What's the strongest wind you flew one in?
I would probably want to add ailerons though as that is what he has been flying on the sim. it doesn't come with a motor mount right? Look like headsuprc is out. LHS may have it. They have a surprising inventory of GWS accessories.
Thanks for all the prop advise, it really helps. I'll see what I want to do. Maybe I'll get him both...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:11 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
Quote:
This time of the year the wind may be an issue (10mph on average?). Summer time is a different story... What's the strongest wind you flew one in?
I would probably want to add ailerons though as that is what he has been flying on the sim. it doesn't come with a motor mount right? Look like headsuprc is out. LHS may have it. They have a surprising inventory of GWS accessories.
Thanks for all the prop advise, it really helps. I'll see what I want to do. Maybe I'll get him both...
Excuse me, which specific model are you asking for?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
We started to talk about the e-starter and then got sidetracked to the large slow sticks. The wind question was for the large slow sticks...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:38 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
Quote:
We started to talk about the e-starter and then got sidetracked to the large slow sticks. The wind question was for the large slow sticks...
Okay, the Large Slow Stick. I have one with a BP Hobbies A2217/9 which "is" overpowered while swinging the APC 10 X 7 propeller. I did install the Carbon Re-Enforcements for the Leading and Trailing Edges for the wings, however, anything over 20 MPH and beyond you can see the Trailing edge to flutter.

As far as wind is concern, I would say, depends on your skill with just Elevator and Rudder. I have flown mine in about 10 MPH with 12 MPH smooth gusts but, again it really depends on your skill. The best and most relaxing is Dead Calm and constant 3 - 5 MPH winds.

Hope this helps!

Let me know if you need E-Starter information.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,774 Posts
Quote:
In 10mph winds, you would fare better with the estarter. The slowstick is going to get bounced around a lot. I've flown my slow stick in 15mph winds before, but it was very challenging to say the least. A beginner would likely crash within 20 seconds trying to fly the slowstick in 10mph winds. Been there, done that lol.

I still fly my estarter in 15mph winds to this very day, but I always use a 2200mah lipo battery for the wind stability you gain from flying a little on the heavy side.

Not the best for a beginner with this particular model, but nice for someone with a little more experience at the sticks. You know how it goes.... heavier means flies hotter, but if you have the skills at the sticks, you can easily handle the differences that the weight makes to the flying style of the plane.

I had one of these setup with a power up 480 'sport' brushless and GWS 10X6 prop and a 2200mah lipo... and years of abuse and several ounces of epoxy later... still flying like a champ with an AUW of 31.4oz!!

So don't worry about using a 2200mah in a fresh estarter using that power up 400. It'll fly them just fine and still come in nice and easy for a smooth landing. And the flight times....... at least 20 minutes at WOT the entire flight, or over 30 if you fly it scale at around half throttle. Bring 5 or 6 batteries to the field and you're good for hours of flying.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
E-Starter!

The E-Starter is the best in my book for aileron trainer depending what you want out of it. I had one for almost 4 years and added a few modifications to make those Foam Ailerons a little stiffer and the Tail Boom a little stronger. I recall flying mine constantly inverted and everyone knew I was at the Field since that was my trade mark. They even joked with me to say that I needed to install main landing gear on top of the wing in case I decided not to flip the model back for landing.

Here is a E-Starter from MechRick who flys with us in Central Florida and he modified the ES for Tricycle Landing gear and custom paint job plus other items.

The Power System matches the Paint Job, I assure you!

RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
ok. Then both seems fine wind wise (SS & e-starter) with an advantage for the e-starter. I would not take him (my son) on a day with wind over 10mph anyway. Cool. Sound like either one would fit the bill. I am leaning towards the e-starter. I am in no particular rush as his winter break will prob be over until I can get either airplane. If i get antsy I may order the SS if headsuprc can get it to me by mid-next week (and the e-starter when it is back in stock). At least he got to fly his micro-quad quite a bit...

Thanks! That was very helpful...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
The E-Starter is the best in my book for aileron trainer depending what you want out of it. I had one for almost 4 years and added a few modifications to make those Foam Ailerons a little stiffer and the Tail Boom a little stronger. I recall flying mine constantly inverted and everyone knew I was at the Field since that was my trade mark. They even joked with me to say that I needed to install main landing gear on top of the wing in case I decided not to flip the model back for landing.

Here is a E-Starter from MechRick who flys with us in Central Florida and he modified the ES for Tricycle Landing gear and custom paint job plus other items.

The Power System matches the Paint Job, I assure you!
Yes, I have a vivid memory of this particular airplane back from when I read this entire thread. How can you not? Outstanding! I am surprised GWS didn't want to buy it back from him to show case it (or hang in in the entrance to their main office or something)...

LOL on the inverted flying... I need to do more of that while practicing rudder use for those inverted harriers...
RCG Plus Member