HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:45 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
This morning was extremely foggy in New Delhi. Couldn't take out any of the park flyers, not even the slow J3 Cub or Pico Moth. Visibility was about 10 feet. I had only plane in the fleet that could handle the job.

Hobbyzone Champ Review flying in extreme fog (1 min 50 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:01 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,164 Posts
Yep, seems that yellow works best in fog....
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Dec 23, 2012, 06:31 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,596 Posts
What's the biggest battery an e-starter will take?
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
I've been flying my E-Starter over a year with well over 1,000 flights. I've used 850, 1000, 1300, and 1500 mAh lipos. I'm most comfortable with the 1000 mAh for scale flying with moderate use of WOT. Heavier lipos just means faster and wider turns, faster landing speed. I like to fly her low and slow, sometimes about 8" off the ground for several minutes doing lazy laps but only when it's calm. If you try it you'll see the ground effect as if she floats at incredbily slow speeds. To me, a heavier lipo can come in handy if it's gusty and I need the extra weight. For that, I'll switch from a 10 X 4.7 Sf prop to a 9X7.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:21 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
What's the biggest battery an e-starter will take?
I wouldn't go any larger than a 2200mah 3 cell lipo. Built light with a 800kv to 900kv (400 size motor), the estarter can get up to 20 minute flights per pack.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:24 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,596 Posts
ok, great thanks. Sounds like the 2000mah range would be too big then. I wish GWS would make a bigger version (ALA Mosa I vs. Mosa II)...

EDIT: Scratch that, I just read what hit-n-run said after I posted. If it can take 2200mah I am game! Great, thanks...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
ok, great thanks. Sounds like the 2000mah range would be too big then. I wish GWS would make a bigger version (ALA Mosa I vs. Mosa II)...

EDIT: Scratch that, I just read what hit-n-run said after I posted. If it can take 2200mah I am game! Great, thanks...

It can handle it, but as TheLeabres stated, it will fly "heavier"... which is definitely a good thing for those windier days, but at the sacrifice of agility in the air.

I have an Estarter with a HURC 2410-09Y CD rom style brushless that's 800kv and 130W. You get about 24oz of thrust and it draws 10A on a GWS 10X6 prop and a 2200mah lipo pack with a 20C rating would last me from 20 to 30 minutes depending on throttle management.

I also have another Estarter with a Power Up 400 (sport) 1050kv and a GWS 8X6 prop. That gives me 23oz of thrust at 14A and I get about 15 minutes of mixed flying per lipo pack. If you want your Estarter to be really sporty then this is the motor I would choose, but if you want scale flying and long flight times, the Hurc is the way to go for sure! Even with the 2200mah packs, she still flies really nice and scale and slows right down to a jogging speed for landings. (Though my two Estarters are both the lighter EPS foam, not the heavier EPO foam they make them in now) But we're talking a matter of a couple of ounces in weight difference between the two types so as long as you build light, there won't be any issues.
Last edited by Hit N Run; Dec 23, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:34 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,596 Posts
Sounds good. I meant to build one for my son as a Trainer for so long and it is finally time...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:06 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,253 Posts
Enjoyed my outing with my Slow Stock today! It was lots of fun and the icing on the cake was getting too close to the ground and crashing into large Pine Tree!

GWS Slow Stick RC Airplane with 808 Key Chain Camera captures Crash into Pine Tree 12-24-2012 (2 min 55 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:54 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,596 Posts
LOL, I like it!

E-starter ordered from LHS. Should be here next week.

I am still debating the Motor. Thanks for the info Hit-N-Run. I am drawn to the Power up 400. I have the power up 15 in the Mosa II and I am very happy with it.. Hopefully it is not a bad decision given the intention is to teach my Son. I am thinking Extra power may be useful to get out of a dicey situation (but if you guys think otherwise i will get the HURC).
How come no love for APC props? I rather stick with them (never tried a GWS prop before). I am surprised they haven't listed any info for APC. Did you use APC on that motor?

Also, any extra hardware I need? Servo extensions, etc'? I am inclined to go with two servos in the wings.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
LOL, I like it!

E-starter ordered from LHS. Should be here next week.

I am still debating the Motor. Thanks for the info Hit-N-Run. I am drawn to the Power up 400. I have the power up 15 in the Mosa II and I am very happy with it.. Hopefully it is not a bad decision given the intention is to teach my Son. I am thinking Extra power may be useful to get out of a dicey situation (but if you guys think otherwise i will get the HURC).
How come no love for APC props? I rather stick with them (never tried a GWS prop before). I am surprised they haven't listed any info for APC. Did you use APC on that motor?

Also, any extra hardware I need? Servo extensions, etc'? I am inclined to go with two servos in the wings.
The Hurc will give you a slower flying plane because it has a lower kv rating compared to the power up 400 'sport'. The only downside to these motors is that the bearings usually dont last more than one flying season before they get rather noisy.... and you have the other downside of that long, skinny motor shaft that can bend pretty easily on a bad landing.... (which is bound to happen if you're teaching someone how to fly)

Seeing as durability will be a key necessity, I would have to recommend the Power Up 400 'slowfly' (930kv) Actually has 25oz of thrust at 10A when used with a GWS 9X5 prop. This would be PERFECT!
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,596 Posts
Got excited for a second, as indeed it looks great, only to see it is out of stock (which is a good sign that motor is in fact good).. I will call them to see when it is expected to be in stock again. Otherwise I may have to settle for the Sport version... Did you use yours with an APC Prop?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
Got excited for a second, as indeed it looks great, only to see it is out of stock (which is a good sign that motor is in fact good).. I will call them to see when it is expected to be in stock again. Otherwise I may have to settle for the Sport version... Did you use yours with an APC Prop?
I've used both GWS and the TP/APC type props as well. Both perform great, with the advantage being with the TP/APC types because they flex much less under higher RPMs so you keep the true pitch speed. But when you're flying a high wing trainer like the estarter, that's not much of an issue and therefore I would just use the GWS props because they draw less amps and the sacrifice of only an ounce or two of thrust compared to the TP/APC types. But you'll have longer flight times per battery pack, which is probably what will be more important because he's going to want to concentrate on flying and not having to worry about landing after a short flight.

I find that getting a good flight time out of a plane 'per battery' is a good advantage when training someone new to the hobby because you have that much more time flying and getting accustomed to the controls. When you have to constantly break up that routine to land and change the battery, it breaks the concentration of the new pilot who is still just trying to get an idea of "flight control" in general, and they have to start all over again, that much sooner.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,596 Posts
ok, thank you... I ordered the 400 Sport with GWS Props...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
Quote:
ok, thank you... I ordered the 400 Sport with GWS Props...
You'll love it!