HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:50 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,821 Posts
You probably smelt a bit of insulation heating up but, it was also your battery that was at risk. Most ESC's have a bridging diode that will short the battery if it is connected backwards. I made a quick sketch to illustrate. I hope it helps.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I definitely saw smoke and of course the smell was there.
Is it possible the ESC capacitor burnt out so that the ESC still works with a bad capacitor? At any rate, I've already replaced the ESC which by the way works like nothing happened, full tests to WOT for 10 seconds with watt meter shows same performance. The smoke came from the ESC.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:16 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,821 Posts
Perhaps put a 0.1 uF capacitor across the battery leads where it goes into the ESC, just in case the one on the board fried.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
180 Posts
Hi all ,
just thought I'd post a qick picture or two of the way I am mounting the motor on my FW 190...3mm ply four 3mm bollt four 3mm tubes loads of locknuts. I have had it turning at full revs ,and aftrer I got around to balancing the prop all the vibration stopped... will post more pics as and when I get around to building a bit more

gordy
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
My big EPO Formosa took another nose dive yesterday. What's that about, anyway. Controls were all working when I got to the crash site. Didn't power up the motor 'cuz the prop was broken. I might have hit cutoff, I wasn't really paying attention.

Just like last time, it was low off the deck, not moving fast at all. Probably stalled it. The good news is that there's almost zero damage. No dented or crushed foam at all. That old EPS 'Mosa would have been shards. I was flying over soft mush dirt (not quite mud) so I'm sure that helped.

I'll be adding more lead to the nose, and flying it on 4S next time. She was kinda sluggish on 3S, but a lot more zippy on 4.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:24 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,474 Posts
wooff, lucky!

What servos are you using? My second Mosa II developed this nasty habit of snapping and heading straight to the ground without a warning and for no apparent reason. Some I was able to recover from, some I didn't until all the repairs were getting so frustrating that at JDMjim suggestion I retired here (and I am happy I did as i just built another + got a Balsa frame). I think it was the cheap servos I put in it (even tough they were 17G MG monster ones), The current Mosa II is also all over the place becuase of the servos that are in it. With good hitec or similar I bet it will fly really well. I do want to treat it to better servos one of these days. The other day a kid stopped by at the field with a plane there was no way he could fly so I flew the Mosa with him. On the landing there was visible flutter on the ailerons..

I can't see a reason to fly 4S in it. What motor and prop are you using?
With a cheap headsuprc powerup 15 motor and an 11x8 prop I generate between 550W at peak. it is a rocket at 500W (which is why I do want to put in it better servos as it is a lot of fun to fly it like that)!

Come to think about it, pushing it hard at 500W with pseudo-3D flying and hard aerobatics would definitely kill cheapy servos so it is to be expected (especially with those big control surfaces).
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Arnav: The motor's a Powerup 480, I forget which Kv version. The servos are a mix of GWS Naro and E-Max. First Mosa-II was seriously overpowered and lots of fun. The Powerup 480 doesn't quite have the oomph for an EPO Mosa-II on 3S. But it perked up nicely on 4S.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 16, 2012, 08:58 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,474 Posts
Yeah, makes sense. I just looked up the specs of one of the versions and at 4S it runs at 400W+ which would in fact make it fly better so you were right...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
772 Posts
GWS Micro Stick? Anyone have info on this? Is this new?
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...oslowstick.htm
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:23 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
There was talk of this Micro Stick in the vendor forum earlier this year, but this is the first time I've actually seen one. I don't believe they've hit the market yet. I need one!
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:07 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
If you want to go micro, here's mine:
It's not a micro slow stick but I can always take out the guts and build a micro stick. And if you can fly one of these, you can fly anything.

P.S.Not trying to hijack this thread

Air Hogs F18 Interceptor Review and test flight (2 min 23 sec)
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:54 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,996 Posts
Slow Stick with 808 Key Chain Camera!

Hi Guys!

Just having fun with my new 808 Key Chain Camera looking AFT on top of my GWS SLOW Stick. It is powered by the BP Hobbies A2217/9 Brushless motor, a staple selection and setups to many of my Park Flyer size RC Airplane Models.

Recorded on location, Moon Port Modelers RC Club in Titusville, Florida and early in the morning, Thursday, December 20, 2012.

Enjoy!
GWS Slow Stick RC Electric Airplane model with 808 Key Chain Camera looking AFT 12-20-2012 (5 min 41 sec)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:51 AM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Yup, I have a Slow Stick always ready on stand by and two more NIB unbuilt kits hoping to get some buddies to do formation flying.

Classic, timeless, lots of mods available for gear and mount, biwing... hope GWS never discontinue the model unless they put out a revision 2.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Last edited by phoam; Sep 25, 2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:26 AM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Wow those are inspring photos for the Slow Stick fans here. Looks like after I build my GWS Mustang and Spit, the twin boom SS is the next in line.

5 days ago, my Corsair went into the death spiral from 40 feet up just high enough where I couldn't revover and just enough to torture me for those 1.5 seconds watching it in slow mo that ended with the all too common sickening thud.

I used epoxy/glass cloth to repair the fuse, wings, motor mount and she flew like new this morning with a freshly installed Towerpro 2409-12T. The old motor, Towepro 2408 didn't survive the last crash.

Also, flew two batteries' worth with the 'Mosa 1. Of all the GWS foamies I've flown, when the Mosa hits the perfect landing, it just makes you feel a pro! Something about the fuselage length just makes her look that much more graceful.
Last edited by TheLeabres; Dec 22, 2012 at 04:20 AM.