SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:59 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
836 Posts
haven't built my GWS Mustang yet but from this photo, the tail looks undercambered, the wing looks semi-symetrical. From the GWS Mustang forums, seems the 'Stang takes more skill to fly than the Corsair.

Flew my Corsair yesterday. It's built light and can fly "unscale" turns all day long - tight turns at slow speeds without stalling. Landing requires lots of practice and rquires perfect touch to prevent the noseover and extra bounciness from the stock gear.

btw, here's a good read on types of airfoils

http://airfieldmodels.com/informatio...t_airfoils.htm
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:03 PM
Joined Sep 2010
836 Posts
8 lives gone, one more to go. Blew up the Formosa's nose this morning, tore of the whole mount, etc...

Got too confident flying inverted at 20 feet, hit an airpocket or gusting tailwind that caused the nose to drop. Instead of a quick half-roll I throttled 100% and pushed down (still flying inverted) but no response and SLAM!

After this fix, one more crash to go and then time to donate the airframe. Even though I crashed for over confidence reasons, it means I'm already better. When I first started on the Mosa about 9 months ago, I only attempted aerobatics from 80 to 100 feet high and was extremely nervous over the Mos'as over responsive ails/rudder. Because I was so relaxed at this crash thinking I'd save the plane a foot off the ground, it means I've built up skills and confidence, I think ; ) So, th ecrash isn't a bad thing. Besides I'm fairly new to advanced flying techniques.

Using the Mosa as the the first time to learn aerobatics means only one thing - she's not gonna be a keeper. Put aside the sentiments and save it for the eventual balsa/monokote F3 ship.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:08 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,798 Posts
Oh sorry to hear about your Mosa. I think GWS should have called this bird the phoenix (you know, given how they refuse to die). If you are flying 2.4GHz you may have been hit by ground affect.

My Mosa II is mad at me. I don't really fly her anymore. Too scary! Having switched to balsa, its hard to look back. When I fly the mosa she is all over the place (and I used to swear by this plane). Granted her servos are crap (i think) and probably have too much slop. It is definitely a very capable plane. A few weeks back I wanted to see what it would be like to 3D on her and she did surprisingly well. Excellent hovers, great KE, no wing rock on Elevators, etc' but can't compare it to balsa frames... Now when its 30mph outside, I fly the 48" Edge and not the Mosa...

Leabres, why not get a balsa frame? Seeing your videos even months back I know you are ready... you will not regret it...You start high like you said and you will be just fine. Heck, for someone who battles hawks, balsa got nothing on you...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:09 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8.cash View Post
Hey guys,

I am still looking for some info on the GWS P-51 airfoil. Does anyone have one of these?

I am trying to determine if the Mustang has an UNDER CAMBERED airfoil like the Spitfire and F4U.

Your help is most appreciated
Just checked mine that was still hiding in its box. The Mustang's airfoil is definitely semi-symmetrical, as well as the tailplane.
phoam is online now Find More Posts by phoam
Last edited by phoam; Dec 06, 2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Spelling [si-me-tri-kuhl]
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Sep 2010
836 Posts
Arnav,

Thanks for the encouragement to go the next level - balsa. As I'm facing my own fiscal cliff issue (my toys budget will cause my wife to push me over the cliff), I'm willing to patch up the EPS foamie Mosa once more and after that I have the EPO Mosa in the box.

The hawks in the area are still juveniles this time of year but I notice their testosterone is kicking up as their foreboding swoops will turn into impacts this coming spring when they hook up and nest their kids.

I use a DX5e so possible the 2.4Ghz might have been a factor. Still, fixing isn't as fun as in the beginner days so better to avoid crashing.
Last edited by TheLeabres; Dec 03, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:54 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,798 Posts
LOL, that's the best fiscal cliff joke I heard yet...

I'll just say this, and then shut up... And by saying it I am guaranteed to jinx myself... but...

Tell your wife it is cheaper... Crashing is expensive:
- the epoxy
- the paint
- the wbpu
- the spackle or auto bondo
- the painters tape
- The props, the shafts, the collets
- The destroyed or damaged batteries
- etc'

I used to crash the Mosa every two days (remember?). Then I got my first balsa which I fly like I hate, have over 120 flights on it and not a single crash yet (knock on wood). I think it is due to a combination of things:
- Knowing it is balsa I did take more risks (learned 3D on it) but higher up.
- The plane flies better and more capable of punching out in trouble.
- The plane is such that I can never get bored with it, It can only make you a better and better pilot. When I get bored is when I crash becuase I do stupid things.
- Doesn't have bad tendencies, handle winds better.

If that doesn't convinces the Mrs then you need a bailout.... (from the fiscal cliff not from the wife of course)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Dec 03, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,798 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. Good luck with the repairs...
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:04 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
To my experience, Sporty plane with 450 size (and down) motor having lower than 1000 KV will be a dog. These motors are better suitable for scale warbirds running 3 blades prop. You can try APC on your Exceed motor, I found 9050DD is a bit too flexible than I like in this kind of power plant; 8x6 for high speed and 10x5 for more pulls.

Arnav, have not seen you posting for a while! 48" Edge as your first Balsa that survives more than 120 flights, you are a better pilot than I. Anyway, As soon as you excel in elevator on a 3D plane, landing will be a breeze no matter what wind speed is.

I was flying at my usual spot yesterday morning, my whole bag of batteries got stolen, lost 19 batteries that are most commonly used for 40"~50" planes. So, most of my fleet are grounded. Don't know if I want to spend another $500 for batteries now given the weather condition.. am so pissed.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,798 Posts
Hi Vince, yes I haven't been spending as much time as I used to on RCG. Been busy both at home and work. I am looking forward and hoping for things to calm down after the new year's. The good thing is that my flying time on the weekends haven't been affected.

Yes, basically I only do Elevator landings now because I can, becuase it is too much fun, and becuase it makes the rest of the folks in our humble field jealous.
The Edge seems to take the stress really well. I simply bend the gear back as necessary. If I manage the throttle really well and power up just in the right moment, I am able touch down very gently (50% of the time now...) even tough it falls down like a rock...

I am so sorry about your batts. I refuse to believe it was a fellow flier, In which case, if they were a "regular" thief, maybe they will burn their house down when they misuse them. Be on the lookout on RCG classifies, ebay, and craiglist for battery lots. 19 batteries! wow. Belive it or not I only have 4. I charge them at the field non-stop in a row with a Marine Battery. I wonder if you can invoke your house insurance but the deductible and premium raise will probably make it nonsensical.

Can I cheer you up and send you one? I have 3s 2600 and 3000 mah ones.
Just PM me your address..
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
Arnav, thank you so much for your offering. you are very generous! But I think I would use this chance to simplified my battery selection so I will have no use for 3000. I am also pretty sure you can use the 2600 in your Edge, the extra weight will be handy in strong wind and some high energy stuff like pop top and crankshaft.

I fly off a school yard one block away from my house. Every neighbors knows me as the "Airplane Man". Yesterday I dumbthumbed my Hyperion Extra 35e so I was upset and staying at the other side of the field collecting debris, when I walking back to my take-off area-the basketball court, the whole bag was gone!!!! Nine of them are 3S 1800 including ThunderPower at $65/piece, which are my entire collection of batteries for my 42" Slick and GP Ultimate, both are my go to flyers. Also lost some 3s and 4S 2200 which were used for GWS 190 and 48" planes from 3DHS and EF. I still have many 3s 1000~1500 for my GWS Zero and Spit, but just not in the mood of flying them recently.

Today is sunny and in 60+ degree, but I have no battery to fly.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,200 Posts
As to the elevator (harrier) landing, I use to do that exclusively but damaged many CF gears. So, I changed my approach and no more broken legs! Now I harrier in to where I want to land, instead of landing the tail wheel first, I turn to traditional 2 point landing from about 1~2 feet above the ground, This is also better for your rudder servo. and prevent prop strike.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:26 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,798 Posts
Yes, you are right. You can probably only get away with it with the 48" Edge and its soft/bendable wire gear. Good point, I will do the same. It does put a lot of unnecessary stress on the frame. Only problem is I still suck at harrier. Can't do it for the life of me. I read the "literature", I watched the videos, and nada! LOL
It was a bit of unexpected challenge for me. I mean it looked trivial compared to say 4-point roll, snap to hover, inverted elevators, etc' yet nothing... But I am working on it, so stay tuned....
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:41 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
LHS has a German pico stick for $22. Full fuse version. Worth a buy?
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:48 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
LHS has a German pico stick for $22. Full fuse version. Worth a buy?
yes those are nice planes
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly