HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:40 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
I enjoyed the Beaver vids. I still have mine and another NIB waiting for the build.

Maiden'd my GWS Corsair yesterday and it flew as advertised. Come to think of it, it kind of flew like a GWS Beaver in slight wind!

It's AUW is 447 gr (362 dry weight plus 85 gr 1000mAh 3S Zippy).

Power setup is TowerPro 24-8-21T 1400 kv, 20 amp ESC, 8 X 6 prop.

Dual 5 gram Hobbypartz T-Pro SG50 servos mounted on top of wings (top of wings for future belly landings)

The stock landing gear is springy bouncy for sure. Landings aren't sticky and for me has an undesirable effect. I may try foam wheels to take out the bounciness.

I built it light and so it flies like a feather, very undocile, very light feeling and can turn literally on a dime. Imagine it pivoting on a wingtip!

My smaller Hobbyking (Artech) mini-Mustang with a 30" WS sits much heavier in the air.

There was very little wind which means in slight wind, this very light GWS Corsair will get very "squirley". Maybe I didn't fly it at WOT long enough. I flew it mostly at 60% with several one-second burst of WOT. It was the maiden and I didn't want to crash it on the maiden.

Any suggestions? Should I go for a heavier motor and heavier lipo?

So far, the best thing about keeping the AUW on the light side is that on the several intentional stalls I tried, it recovered very easily. No out of control spinning, like I said, almost a feathery piece of foam meeting air resistance and floating down after the stalls.
The GWS Corsair in this video is built as light as possible..15oz with 3s 1300 TP lipo and 2410-08 outrunner. Heavy planes and pavement operations do not mix so all my planes are as light as possible. As far as landing goes a lighter plane is always easier to land as the stall speed is lower. The Corsair is a little difficult to land because of the LG mount location. Last time I searched videos(youtube) there were no good landing video of the GWS Corsair..the one that you do find with good landings usually are by modfly. I have the fix for this plane as well. All my GWS warbirds have R\A\E\T (3 servos) and are equipped with steering tail wheel and landing gear.

Corsair landing (0 min 36 sec)

GWS Corsair (1 min 19 sec)

This is an oldie from 5 years ago..sorry no sound
GWS Corsair F4U perfect pavement landing. (0 min 59 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:35 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
I liked the Corsair videos. They do seem to be able to float in requiring just a little throttle. With the right space and long approach, can probably glide in as on mine wing loading is as light as can be.

Modfly, besides using foam wheels how else did you improve the landing gear? I'm thinking rubber bands to keep the keep angled forward as I did on my Formosa.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Aug 2006
2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I didn't even know RCG when I built my Zero. After some difficult flights I started researching on internet for solution and found this site. I changed the incidence angle on the main wing but it's too late to carve out the battery holder. Anyhow, she still flies beautifully at 550g with 75w of power only. At 150W she can be super aerobatic!
yes, wing incidence can be used to solve the pitch up problem, however motor down thrust works good on this model as well........I urge anyone building the GWS warbirds to carve out enuff room under the front deck for your lipo
lectroglide is offline Find More Posts by lectroglide
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
I assume your talking about the GWS Zero. Yes, the COG is hard to set and if the plane is tail heavy its very hard to control for sure. I don't use down thrust on the motor. The trick is the lipo mount. The lipo should be sitting directly behind the motor at an angle nearly strait up and down behind the motor. a 3 cell 1350 30c lipo is just right if using a regular outrunner. If you use a PZ BL motor, lipo can sit parallel to the motor a few inches back. I have some build threads somewhere..If I can find them I will post a link.

This is a great flying Zero as long as the COG is set at the right spot. The COG on these is a bit tough because they were designed for ni-mh batteries and brushed motors. Easy way to fix that problem is to install a BIG motor like from the PZ T-28..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdg-FP-6dt4&feature=plcp
..............o
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 28, 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
I too have a big chunk of lead in the nose of my Spit. Normally fly her with 3s 1200 and TP 2409 (70g motor). She only has about 1/4" or less throw at the elevator which is plenty already. I can almost do some 3D stuns with Spit if I increase the throws on all surfaces. I gave the motor away so I am looking for a new power plant for her now.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
I too have a big chunk of lead in the nose of my Spit. Normally fly her with 3s 1200 and TP 2409 (70g motor). She only has about 1/4" or less throw at the elevator which is plenty already. I can almost do some 3D stuns with Spit if I increase the throws on all surfaces. I gave the motor away so I am looking for a new power plant for her now.
Yea the GWS spitfire is a challenger to set up with out dead weight in the nose but it can be done. I have 2 spitfires and they do not have dead weight. Currently I'm running a 400 brushed motor with gearbox in mine and have moved the servoes (3) AS FORWARD AS POSSIBLE. Also the lipo mount is modified so that the lipo sits directly behind the motor. I will have to weigh it as I can not remember the weight but I'm sure its as light weight as posssible. I am now thinking of a BL upgrade with a larger lipo (1800).

A simple way to balance the bird is to use 400 motor with GB. No dead weight required!

GWS Spitfire ROG, Vertical, Landing (0 min 56 sec)

GWS Spitfire Landing (0 min 19 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:45 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Bartricky, since I know you like the EPS kits, I just noticed the following (EPS Mosa) poped-up on RCG....
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:54 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
852 Posts
I have a GWS Spit NIB, waiting its turn behind the GWS 'Stang and Formosa II. Sometimes in here, in this forum topic, I feel like I'm in a room with GWS (crack)heads sitting aroung waiting for the next fix !

I have a 400EPS that came with E-Starter and I may try that first with Spit.

Flew 4 more batteries with Corsair and pushed the 1000mAh all the way forward so that CG is about 50mm. It flies less pitchy although as soon as I pull the throttle to zero, the nice glide is gone. High rates is more than enough to do double snap rolls.

Going from the Mosa 1 to Corsair is like getting off a bucking bronco and racing a thoroughbred .
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2,238 Posts
GwS warbirds dont have much of an airfoil thierfore they will fly good fast but not very good slow/glide, they also come in hot
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:10 AM
"Thats right Iceman"
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jul 2011
129 Posts
im building a gws formosa right now its a pain all the assembly required but i dont mind building anyways i had a bn2 islander that was cool until the right prop came of in flight and i was trying to bring her down on one motor as i said i had one anyways gws kits are great for the price and i like the old brushed motors for some reason i helps me to appreciate where rc started
MIKEYOUR is offline Find More Posts by MIKEYOUR
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2011
110 Posts
Maiden didn't go so well

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccalmon View Post
Small world, I just bought one of these this past weekend at an auction, $30 out the door for the RTF. I'm dumping the receiver/transmitter, but for now I'm going to fly it as-is otherwise (2 brushed, geared motors).

So far it's been a pain to assemble. There isn't enough room in the slot in the wing for all the wires that need to run from one fuselage to the other (motor, servos), so I've been fiddling with those to try and make it more visually appealing.

Also, the hinges that come installed are horrible. They are flexible tubing that looks like it was molded-in with the EPS. I've pulled those all out and am installing proper hinges.

I should have it up and running next week, as I'm out for this weekend.

Thanks,
Don
Finished this up over the Thanksgiving holiday, and the weather cleared enough today for a maiden flight. Unfortunately it didn't go so well. The brushed motors were way underpowered, and the plane would not turn enough to the left to keep it out of the woods. The first crash wasn't too bad, it only had some brush burns (literally) and landed in some vines about 15 feet up. We were able to get it down without much effort.

I adjusted the subtrim and launched into the wind again. It still would barely turn to the left, and this time the trees took their vengence. The one fuselage broke in half, and the horizontal stab broke off as well. The wing and second fuse were OK.

If it had more power, I would have let it turn to the right and climb, but the right turns also dropped the nose, so it was a slow spiral death.

I'll rebuilt it, but this time going brushless. I may do some other mods while it's all apart.

I know it's not a GWS, but these are so similar to GWS it's uncanny. Maybe a sister company?

Thanks,
Don
dmccalmon is offline Find More Posts by dmccalmon
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:46 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroglide View Post
GwS warbirds dont have much of an airfoil thierfore they will fly good fast but not very good slow/glide, they also come in hot
Oh I disagree. They come in hot if they are too heavy. I have all the GWS 1st gen warbirds and they all can fly quite slow.

Here is a me 109 doing a nice pavement landing.. Does not look like its coming in hot to me..

GWS ME 109 (1 min 18 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Dec 01, 2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
Hey guys,

I am still looking for some info on the GWS P-51 airfoil. Does anyone have one of these?

I am trying to determine if the Mustang has an UNDER CAMBERED airfoil like the Spitfire and F4U.

Your help is most appreciated
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:32 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,953 Posts
Don, I have one of those Bf-109Z's also, and it is basically a copy of the GWS 109. Fuse-wise, that is. I have one I got as a kit only, for $40, and plan on twin brushless for power. Two of these: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ort/Categories
Should work well. I have most everything worked out, but am contemplating covering it with silkspan for strength. There are a couple of threads on this...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=me+109z
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=me+109z

The second one is a Me-109Z made from two GWS kits. I would love any more info anyone has on this model, as there isn't much written on them. -----Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:38 PM
always something to learn...
Tacoma, WA
Joined Jan 2011
2,953 Posts
'Lectroglide....Where do you fly? I am in Tacoma, and always looking for good spots.------Metalguy
metalguy is online now Find More Posts by metalguy