Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:28 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
Modfly,

Great ! I like the way your float Beaver touched down and taxied on the water.
I agree that EPS kit is much better than the EPO one from the view point of weight kind. For many experienced pilots, weight, the AUW, is very critical. One of my buddies flied his EPS Estarter well with the set up of the old brushed EP350 + prop EP9070 + 2S 1300mAh 10C Lipo, but the same setup could not fly his new EPO Estarter higher than short trees, 20 ft tall, in calm weather. Now he's going to upgrade its motor into 400 size 1100KV outrunner because the EPO one is heavier.

Oh ! I've not seen any R/C Spitfire with floats before. What a great float Spitfire !
You built many float planes, you must live in a place at the side of a river or big pond.
I live near a big lake(s). (Lake Erie)..well, I don't operate off lake Erie but I do use Lake Anna in Barberton Ohio. All my float planes use the rudder and throttle for water taxi. I don't use a water rudder although that would certainly be easier to control if you had one but I really have not needed one myself.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:34 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,960 Posts
I've water taxied the Rufe twice. The first demonstrated the need for the water rudder. The second demonstrated the need to triple-check the CG.

2nd test video.

Rufe 2nd Taxi test C (0 min 0 sec)
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
very cool video. I can not get the sound to work..the video has sound? anyway that will be awesome when you get the bugs ironed out. I have not seen a Zero Rufe ROW yet...The other plane in the video is also very interesting. I am not familiar with that model. Keep up the good work man!
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:10 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
David,
Thank you for sharing your efforts made on the float. It's really nice you paid great attention on every corner.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:22 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Rufe...

Here are a couple of earlier attempts one of which convinced me to get a Zero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...SMtniEsb0&NR=1

GWS ZERO 二式水戦 (7 min 4 sec)
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:03 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,960 Posts
I took the audio away. It was a bunch of children chattering away, watching me work.

The other plane is a "Slowly"... it has a thread in the "Foamy Scratchbuild" Forum located HERE.

The Rufe in the video is Excellent! I, too, have experienced the agony of "nose over."

David
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:25 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
David,

It's an useful taxi test from viewing the video, I like the way you tried to push her closer and back. Sending out the "Slowly" is a very good way for such mission, it's faster than R/C boat,
probably adding water rudder on it can be more helpful.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:57 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly View Post
I live near a big lake(s). (Lake Erie)..well, I don't operate off lake Erie but I do use Lake Anna in Barberton Ohio. All my float planes use the rudder and throttle for water taxi. I don't use a water rudder although that would certainly be easier to control if you had one but I really have not needed one myself.
I'd guess that Lake Anna is more friendly with your float planes, big lakes are for
full scale ones certainly. I noticed that Pat did not use water rudder either on his float Pico TM's, but he did add something helpful under the floats' bottom, and he scratch built the floats from foams.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...10805&page=842
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:50 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Mistake on the lake...

oops..
Beaver Float plane crash (0 min 21 sec)

This plane has always had a touchy rudder even without the floats. The Cub seems to be a more stable airframe even thought they both use the same exact wing. Must be a COG issue with the Beaver as the cub is much easier to fly with floats.
Last edited by modfly; Nov 25, 2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:01 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Broken wing strut on float plane

In this video I did a loop with the Cub Float plane and popped a strut in the process. Its a wonder the wing did not fold...In this video the Cub is using the Beavers floats.

Float Cub Broke.wmv (1 min 8 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:13 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
n this video I "walked" the floats During ROW and recovered and clipped a tree and still managed a good flight and water landing..

Float Cub 3.wmv (1 min 56 sec)
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,143 Posts
This Rufe has the pontoon extended further forward. this one flys real nice off the water....

「T52を二式水戦にせよ」 その4 A6M2-N Rufe (2 min 57 sec)
JDMJim is online now Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:20 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
wow, that works very good!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,960 Posts
Okay everyone. I did a disassembly of my Rufe tonight and gave it a good final inspection. I did find one thing that needed repairing. I also took a liberal number of photographs of all aspects of the plane. They are now posted on the blog at this location.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:09 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
828 Posts
I enjoyed the Beaver vids. I still have mine and another NIB waiting for the build.

Maiden'd my GWS Corsair yesterday and it flew as advertised. Come to think of it, it kind of flew like a GWS Beaver in slight wind!

It's AUW is 447 gr (362 dry weight plus 85 gr 1000mAh 3S Zippy).

Power setup is TowerPro 24-8-21T 1400 kv, 20 amp ESC, 8 X 6 prop.

Dual 5 gram Hobbypartz T-Pro SG50 servos mounted on top of wings (top of wings for future belly landings)

The stock landing gear is springy bouncy for sure. Landings aren't sticky and for me has an undesirable effect. I may try foam wheels to take out the bounciness.

I built it light and so it flies like a feather, very undocile, very light feeling and can turn literally on a dime. Imagine it pivoting on a wingtip!

My smaller Hobbyking (Artech) mini-Mustang with a 30" WS sits much heavier in the air.

There was very little wind which means in slight wind, this very light GWS Corsair will get very "squirley". Maybe I didn't fly it at WOT long enough. I flew it mostly at 60% with several one-second burst of WOT. It was the maiden and I didn't want to crash it on the maiden.

Any suggestions? Should I go for a heavier motor and heavier lipo?

So far, the best thing about keeping the AUW on the light side is that on the several intentional stalls I tried, it recovered very easily. No out of control spinning, like I said, almost a feathery piece of foam meeting air resistance and floating down after the stalls.
TheLeabres is online now Find More Posts by TheLeabres