Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:01 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,796 Posts
Just finished bashing a Zero into a Rufe. (Build thread). Waiting on weather and days off to coincide.

David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Very nice job ! David
Good luck to the maiden !
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
Just finished bashing a Zero into a Rufe. (Build thread). Waiting on weather and days off to coincide.

David
wow, that thing is nice. I wish GWS would offer their Zero with floats...
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
There's GWS float set available, a set includes two floats and hardwares needed, you have to put them together and seal them carefully.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
There's GWS float set available, a set includes two floats and hardwares needed, you have to put them together and seal them carefully.
Yes I use the float kit you mention in a few planes but what I want is a float kit thats designed for a Rufe Zero with the mounts and every thing thats needed for a Rufe Zero . I do not have the time or patience to fabricate a Rufe float mod. I want GWS to do that and then sell it to me. Perhaps GWS could update the Zero kit to include a Rufe float kit. I would buy it.

The float kit you mention does not include the out runner floats so thats not going to work for me. Contrary to popular belief not all rcgroups subscribers are master modelers like Davidterrell80...

Cub Float perfect ROW (0 min 51 sec)
Last edited by modfly; Nov 22, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,796 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

It wasn't too hard to make the mods. I wish I had done more testing with the weight distribution early in the process. The only things I'd change is: 1) to make the main float detachable from its pylons, so I could shift the float forward and back a bit, for CG control; 2) I'd extend the carbon spar out to the tip-float attach points and bond a fitting to them, that allows the tip-floats to be removed.

I'm also thinking about one of the gyro-stabilizing units... It would help keep the plane tracking straight on water and in the air. I have 2 or the Orange units and one Eagle unit (that can be switched on-off in the air). But, she's already 540 g and space is tight. I'd have to open the aft fuselage and install the gyro aft of the servos (bad for GC location)... and there's the weight of the servo extensions. I might have to build a larger Rufe.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,796 Posts
I will disassemble the Rufe in the next week, to conduct one final preflight inspection. When I do, I will photograph the entire plane in detail and post the photos to the build blog.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
I will disassemble the Rufe in the next week, to conduct one final preflight inspection. When I do, I will photograph the entire plane in detail and post the photos to the build blog.
Please do
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Modfly,

I don't think that GWS has any intention to work out a Rufe Zero, they worked out EPO Zero kit few years ago, and terminated the EPS kit then. I do not work for them but I have many GWS kits and am interested in their products though.
By the way you did a very good job on your float Cub, that's something more and better than their kit.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:19 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
David,

The float looks like the GWS one, it's actually a pain to seal it thoroughly, I'm sure you've already made it well. I like the tip floats you built.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:33 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
Modfly,

I don't think that GWS has any intention to work out a Rufe Zero, they worked out EPO Zero kit few years ago, and terminated the EPS kit then. I do not work for them but I have many GWS kits and am interested in their products though.
By the way you did a very good job on your float Cub, that's something more and better than their kit.
Hmm, I like the EPS kits and think they are superior to the heavy EPO foam replacements. I have a fleet of the GWS EPS fighters and even have a EPS Spitfire with floats but it uses the twin float kit not the single float type. The floats on my Cub are GWS floats and GWS mounts. They work very well but are a bit tricky to build.

Here is a DH2 Float plane video from 5 years ago. This plane is still flying..
GWS Beaver on Floats (1 min 10 sec)
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
EPS Spitfire Float plane

I built this years ago and still have it. The floats are removable and use GWS mounts. I have modified the landing gear on the spitfire as it is similar to the Zero LG setup and in fact uses the same mounts. One of the LG mounts is visible in one of the pictures below.
Last edited by modfly; Nov 22, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Modfly,

Great ! I like the way your float Beaver touched down and taxied on the water.
I agree that EPS kit is much better than the EPO one from the view point of weight kind. For many experienced pilots, weight, the AUW, is very critical. One of my buddies flied his EPS Estarter well with the set up of the old brushed EP350 + prop EP9070 + 2S 1300mAh 10C Lipo, but the same setup could not fly his new EPO Estarter higher than short trees, 20 ft tall, in calm weather. Now he's going to upgrade its motor into 400 size 1100KV outrunner because the EPO one is heavier.

Oh ! I've not seen any R/C Spitfire with floats before. What a great float Spitfire !
You built many float planes, you must live in a place at the side of a river or big pond.
Last edited by twn Chen; Nov 22, 2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,796 Posts
The Rufe main-float is a GWS float with a ~4 cm extension on the aft end, bringing it to a point to accommodate the water rudder. I also moved the step aft ~2 cm and added another layer of 6 mm foam to the underside of the float's afterbody to improve the flotation.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
nice work david. So you have water taxied your Zero Rufe?