HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Have I gone blind or is there no mention of CG setting in the manual? Mr. Chen... or anybody... where should the CG be on the Formosa-II?

At present with 3S/2200 battery and 1 oz. of lead on the firewall, CG is about 1/2" behind the wing spar. It always pains me to add dead weight to a plane.

And Mr. Chen -- you're a nice guy and it's great having you around this forum, but if I weren't a patient and tolerant person I wouldn't buy GWS planes at all.

I've said this before: they fly like a dream but they're a to assemble.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:32 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
Have I gone blind or is there no mention of CG setting in the manual? Mr. Chen... or anybody... where should the CG be on the Formosa-II?

At present with 3S/2200 battery and 1 oz. of lead on the firewall, CG is about 1/2" behind the wing spar. It always pains me to add dead weight to a plane.

And Mr. Chen -- you're a nice guy and it's great having you around this forum, but if I weren't a patient and tolerant person I wouldn't buy GWS planes at all.

I've said this before: they fly like a dream but they're a to assemble.
From the online manual last page(supplement) says 115mm +_ 5mm.
http://www.gwsus.com/english/service...ane_manual.htm

I haven't built one so I can't vouch for that.

Is your Mosa II EPO?
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Thanks for digging that up, Bartricky. I should have guessed CG was in the "supplement," it's not like it's important or anything.

Yes, this Formosa is EPO. It's heavy, too. 38 oz. without decals, with 3S/2200 and 10x7 prop. Almost 15 oz. per square inch. Ugh.

Just another evening or two. Need to batten down the canopy and cowl and decorate her a bit, then she's good to go.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
LOL...
I missed the supplement on the Mosa 1, about installing the upgraded canopy latch and couldn't figure out what the left over parts were for.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:01 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Leftover parts, what a joke. There's so much that comes with a GWS "kit," and 99% of the loose parts are useless junk. Modeling clay? A chunk of foam from which you are to carve yourself a prop spinner? Get serious.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Rafe & Bartricky,

The upgraded canopy latch was for Formosa only, not meant for Formosa II, if I recall them correctly. Some pilots suggested on another thread applying CG at 108 - 125 mm on Mosa II instead, 108 mm (4.25") meant for flying sports & F3A, while 125 mm (4.92") meant for flying 3D kind. Ha Ha I have a lot of those leftover parts too, they are useful on my scratch built planes. Well, it seems kits & ARF kits are becoming unknown among young pilots.
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:06 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Now, what came with the kit that I used? Hmmm. Exactly two plastic parts, the ones used to join the wing to the fuselage at the leading edge. The canopy and cowl. The main wing spar. The hinges (though there were not quite enough of them.) A velcro strap for holding the battery down. And the decals, 'cuz I was too lazy to come up with my own decorations.

The wheels are nice but I didn't use them.

Maiden flight hopefully tomorrow morning. Mr. Prez. will be in Nashua so there's a NOTAM in effect from noon to five.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:37 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
I am enjoying building another P-51.

Still have a old P-38 waiting for a final decision on geared motors. As long as the 38 is slower than the 51. Life will be good.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
good news, bad news, good news

Good news: she flew pretty well on the maiden, no trim issues, did the things that a Formosa does. Not as fast as the last one, but no surprise there. I didn't push the envelope, but she felt stable and controlled.

Bad news: lost control on landing approach. Brownout? Radio hit? Stall? Who knows. She came down hard right on the nose (onto pavement) with a sickening crunch, from about 15 feet up. Prop was loose in the adaptor (compression-type) so maybe it came loose? No witnesses, alas.

Cowl and motor mount took the brunt of the force, along with the motor x-mount. Prop and prop adapter are trash. Receiver, motor and ESC all OK. Battery had plenty of charge left. Haven't re-checked servos post-crash.

Good news: damage appears minimal, and repairs are already underway. Wing is fine except for one aileron torn out. She'll fly again. I've repaired far worse.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
rafe

I have read where the 2.4 giga band is filling up with lots of emergency transmitter vehicles with tons of power. police, fire , whatever services. A event had police vehicles that had to be the cause of 2.4 giga jammings. Nothing could safely fly.

So do not be suprised if you get shot down in a area where police, fire, EMTs, park rangers or anyone else authorized to use 2,4 giga is using the giga bands. All good thins come to a end.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
These things happen but are seemingly impossible to diagnose. We've flown at that site for years with few if any confirmed radio issues (we're all on 2.4 GHz.) It's been a year or more since I had anything like a real in-flight radio problem, at that site or elsewhere.

It was a new, untested Spektrum-clone receiver, so there's that.

Oddly enough I'm not too upset. Not much emotional investment in this plane. Every one of my GWS planes has been crashed and rebuilt, some more than once. My small Formosa crashed on its first day out (I was showing off, getting way cocky.) Two years later it's still going strong. Looks like cr@p but flies great.

I may have to order a new prop adapter. There's a spare cowl on hand already. New motor mount takes an hour or two to build. Pretty simple.
Last edited by rafe_b; Oct 27, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,272 Posts
Agreed rafe.

All my crashes are ..ho hums. Never feel bad about them.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:33 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Agreed rafe.

All my crashes are ..ho hums. Never feel bad about them.
Well, I'm not sure I'd go that far. Lot of planes in my fleet I'd be upset to crash... For some reason I've come to expect occasional weirdness from my GWS planes. You just shrug it off and move on.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
About a year ago I built a back-up Zero that is ready to fly as my original Zero was taking a beating.

I keep repairing the first one as a challenge and it just keeps flying better and better after each repair.

When people at the field laugh at it I just tell them to watch it in the air.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
rafe_b Was that a Power Up 480 on the Mosa II? If so, I am guessing the shaft is fine. I recently put my PU 480 on a Mosa I with a 4s...WOW!!!
I recommend not using a wooden firewall with a spacer mount. Save weight and add durability but spend $10 by buying an aluminum mount like this one. use the 10mm sitck and secure it with caulk; this will keep the vibration down and if you ever have to pull the stick out you won't have to rip a chunk of foam out. One note, be careful of the threads on the back of an aluminum base motor, they can go out of whack easily.
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash