HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:18 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,785 Posts
Very nice! But does she fly well? 9.5oz means nothing if it isn't a decent flyer.
I'm just messin' with ya. Awesome job on making that mustang soooo light!

All joking aside, I would really love to see a short video of it flying. Just to see how she does in the air at such a light weight.
I'm also curious on what your flight times are with those 400mah batteries.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,190 Posts
Hi Hit N Run.

WOT is 5.5 minutes max WOT speed 42 mph static torque 10.5
The flight computer program is extremly close on the actual results of the 12 mm motor & any gearbox ratios I have used with APC & GWS props......Fighter plane shape does not chane the calculated more than 5%. Saves me money by only buying what is best for each plane.
I have used 12 of these in 1 ...2... & 4 engined GWS planes & the Guanli PBY. Great.
cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,785 Posts
Sounds like really good results according to the data. I might have to adopt your technique instead of pretty much ALWAYS using brushless 400 motors on most all of the GWS warbirds, with the exception of the P-40. I use a brushless 450 in that one because it has a larger wingspan than most of the other WWII models.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:57 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,190 Posts
I used a Suppo ? BP Hobbies ..A2212-6 out runner kv 2200...
A2217-9 kv 950.
& tried a H2217-4 kv 3500 in a GWS 400 gearbox. A REAL stumpuller with speed.

Problem was the total weight got to high for me to hand launch. Vertical yes. foward or in reverse. a beast.

Then I found a post about little EDF using the Feigao 12 mm........I use a BP Hobbies 12 mm Aluminum gear box. It does run cooler in cramped cowls.

The GWS planes will bounce & tumble now on my crummy flying.

I build.......Not a pilot......Still I do like my planes the pull vertically out of my hand.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,783 Posts
LOL, poor mosa. I flew it twice today in 15 to 20mph winds in between rain drops. Not a generally good idea for a re-maiden and a new Tx/Rx but, she pulled through. On the first landing, after flaring and right before touchdown about 10 inches from the ground, the wind changed and flipped it (of course no damage). Trying to loop one time against the wind was pretty funny as it basically did it in place without making any headway. I guess i have much more throws on the ailerons setup right now since rolls are so fast its like a drill (the slower rate seems more graceful tough so I will probably reduce it). A buddy (the only other foolish enough to go flying today) flew a striker and it seemed less susceptible to the wind which makes sense. Anyhow, it was a funny "experiment" and I am happy she lived to see another day...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,190 Posts
Oh well.

Found 2 GWS retracts that fit the brackets in the wing. Best thing is I need weight in front of the COG point.Might as well do a pull-pull setup with a H 55 or smaller. I have stock & some 1 1/2" wheels.

Anybody know of a good scale side view .showing the wheels down. See if the 1 1/2" are sized close enough.
weight gain looks like about .7 to .8 oz.
Have to add a small wood block on the wingtip end of the black plastic block to hold a piece of shaft thru it to get the servo to PULL the gear down. that way there is a rock solid down lock everytime. Details Details......I just love it.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:51 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,190 Posts
www.acepilots.com nice side shot on the ground. The wheels are TINY. My 1/1/2" still looks a possible 2X too large...The bird was made for paved runways only.

Going back to the side view. I have 2 P-51 tail wheels at 1" diameter. Might be a closer to scale size........
Old Oct 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,783 Posts
What an incredible airplane. The Mosa II still teaches me new things. Flew it today nine times in 20 to 29mph winds (was too scared to fly the Edge). A new high wind record for me... There were a few scary moments but she pulled through. An amazing highly capable Plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,190 Posts
Now I am interested in a Mosa II.

i fly in a normally high wind area also.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
As I recall the big and small Formosas fly rather differently. But my memory of the big guy may be faded, it's been a year or two since #2 died. Build (#3) moving slowly, motivation lagging a bit. Fuse halves glued together, R/E servos fitted. All control surfaces have been cut out and cleanly beveled. I used strips of basswood to join the elevator halves, the way it's done on my Hacker/Hyperion EPP foamies. Much better than that U-shaped wire that comes with the kit.

The leading edge of the elevator is balsa. That's my sneaky, opportunistic recovery from a hack job cutting that bevel in the foam. Realizing my mistake, I cut the edge square and glued in a fat strip of balsa over it. After the glue set, I sanded a bevel into the balsa.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,783 Posts
I like it! Good stuff.. I would recognize that headsuprc motor a mile away...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,277 Posts
Looks good from here! Keep them build pics comin'.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Grrrr. Mosa made me mad tonight. My goal for the night was modest. Just glue in the h-stab and elevator. In order to do that I needed to install and tighten up the main wing, as a critical alignment reference.

For the life of me I could not get those two long screws to meet up with their matching fast nuts on that balsa stick (first photo of last post.) Well, I could get one but not the other. Again and again. I killed an hour or two of my life trying.

I eventually gave up and went radical. I cut off those foam tabs that the wing bolts go through, and glued in place a large block of balsa. I'm hoping that I can use wood or self-tapping screws directly into the balsa, with small pilot holes as required. Should that fail, I'll try threaded inserts (as in the photo below.)

Should that fail, I'll douse the plane with gasoline and set it on fire.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:00 PM
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2010
1,215 Posts
Hi Rafe,

You might need to be more patient when drilling up the holes on the balsa block you glued.
I'm sure you could make it well. Good luck !
twn Chen is offline Find More Posts by twn Chen