Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:19 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
I watch pom on my monitor...
That is so weird. I once had pom on my monitor also, but I have no idea how it got there. I must have clicked something. If you click this you'll get to some pom also. I promise it is wonderful.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:20 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
I just noticed you're at 6,999 posts. Go on, say something and make it 7,000

It's taken you nine years - have you ever wondered, like me, whether someone who can notch up a similar number in about 18 months has either got too much to say or too much time on their hands?

Got to say I'm surprised at the recent comments about the adhesion of paint on EPO. I've found that the foam friendly paints that I identified when I was painting EPS are not good at sticking on EPO. Maybe I need to broaden the range of stuff I've tried. I have found however that Multiplex Elapor primer solves my problem. Expensive though and so far it's the only purpose specified EPO primer I've found
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:48 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,277 Posts
Hi Roger.

I remember way back lots of people had problems with non Styrene foams. That is why I asked about the newer stuff. I had to wash the old GWS planes as som had too much release still on them.I would wash the parts with gloves in soapy water & rinse. Week later the paint really stuck great.
Have to go Blue Cheese salad & shrimp.

cyclops2 is online now Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
Hi Roger.

I remember way back lots of people had problems with non Styrene foams. That is why I asked about the newer stuff. I had to wash the old GWS planes as som had too much release still on them.I would wash the parts with gloves in soapy water & rinse. Week later the paint really stuck great.
Have to go Blue Cheese salad & shrimp.

Wash a foamie? I would be much rather doing so than doing dishes....but my wife would think I am crazy.

At this moment, you are at 7001.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:21 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
LOL to that last post. I've decided to try the arnav approach and so far have spent much time wet-sanding, washing, and applying coats of WBPU, to my various Formosa-II parts, assuming that WBPU means water based polyurethane. So far I like what I'm seeing. I can't imagine there's much weight increase, but if there is, what the heck.

I think I've got a good scheme for attaching the LG. I've done up one side so far. Basically, cut and shape a piece of hard wood to fit snugly inside the deep LG cavity -- so it bonds on five surfaces with the cutout. It's not a perfect cube, the sides are tapered.

So no assembly at all yet, just prepping the major foam pieces and working out the LG.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
to be fair, whatever I know about finishing is from Vince so the credit goes to him, not me. It does seem you did however put more effort into it than what both of us did. Neither myself or Vince (from what I can remember) have bothered to wet sand or wash so yours would probably at a whole other level. I simply brushed it on once the airplane was put together (separately on the fuse and the wings tough). I am looking forward to the pics... Good luck...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
to be fair, whatever I know about finishing is from Vince so the credit goes to him, not me. It does seem you did however put more effort into it than what both of us did. Neither myself or Vince (from what I can remember) have bothered to wet sand or wash so yours would probably at a whole other level. I simply brushed it on once the airplane was put together (separately on the fuse and the wings tough). I am looking forward to the pics... Good luck...
Looks good. Most of the mold nipples or whatever have been leveled and no longer showing, but you can still tell that it's glossed-over EPO foam. I've got three coats in the fuselage so far, two on the main wing, haven't started in on the tailfeathers yet. I'm actually thinking of just going with the supplied decals this time... too lazy to work up a fancy paint scheme. Can't turn a Volkswagon into a Cadillac, my pappy once told me.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Mar 2003
9,277 Posts
Many years ago I did a Corsair & spray painted it. Could not believe the way the paint caused tiny drops on each raised bead of foam. No paint would stick in the tiny creases between the beads. Plane had to have loads of mold release on it..

I Now do the dishwasher detergent routine first with a very soft small bristle brush first. then sand stick ups. fill every dent all bead grooves with H D Ultra Light spackle. Sands perfectly smooth & breaks the shiny foam skin shine completly. 1 coat of latex green.for the military planes. done.

Sounds like a lot of time but it s a good escape job from other not so much fun jobs.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I'm actually thinking of just going with the supplied decals this time... too lazy to work up a fancy paint scheme. Can't turn a Volkswagon into a Cadillac, my pappy once told me.
haha, I still really like the scheme of my first Mosa and it was easy to do if you wanted to do the same. But then again, planes are a little like children... The "parents" always think their "children" are the best-looking...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:37 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
Oh noes. I just ordered another Pico Moth and Formosa I, among a bunch of other stuff. And I have two of each that are still NIBs!

Is there an ointment for this sickness?
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:49 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Yes, its called a "wife." The ointment is automatically administered when you reach out for your wallet. If you don't have one, then the RC medical community (and there are many Dr. amongst us) maintains that not only you are not sick, you are in fact a model of good health.
Having many planes is a sure recipe for being a better pilot and for flying low and fast... so in my medical opinion you are perfectly fine...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:14 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
Thanks doc. I don't know if it was your consoling words or the lack of a wife but I feel better already.
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Oct 10, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Mar 2003
9,277 Posts
9.5 0z. ?? impossible ?

I just weighed the new EPO 51. Looks like a 9.5 oz can be done.
Notice the HUGE HEAVY motor & 7 : 1 gearbox swinging the APC sport flyer 7" x 5"
2 HS 55s
400 mahr 3 cell
10 amp ESC
small not micro reciever
Pull -pull no stretch fish lines to rear controls.
That does it.