Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
767 Posts
I Have had this p40 for about 4years...... never got the time to build it. then it got forgotten. but recently Iv been plodding along with building.
I have Durafly Corsair retracts on the way. also a 1200kv motor. 8x8 prop. so hopefully she will fly soon. I covered the rear fin in aluminium tape just to try it out. pleased with how it looks. hope you guys like!
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:05 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,886 Posts
Very nice P40! She will be fast with that Power Setup!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:29 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord chris View Post
I Have had this p40 for about 4years...... never got the time to build it. then it got forgotten. but recently Iv been plodding along with building.
I have Durafly Corsair retracts on the way. also a 1200kv motor. 8x8 prop. so hopefully she will fly soon. I covered the rear fin in aluminium tape just to try it out. pleased with how it looks. hope you guys like!
looks nice..... been at Marham long? son in law works there...... in the process of building an EPO FW190 myself at the moment, and have recently built a T6
gordynic is online now Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:28 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2011
100 Posts
GWS ME-109 w/ EPS350C power system

I just picked this up from Tower Hobbies, they had a $25 off any $50 purchase coupon code, so I got this for half retail.

Here's a link to the plane and the motor's specs. I'm not exactly sure which version of the 350C motor plane comes with, it looks like there are 6 versions (2/1/A/B/C/D)
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product/airfly/me-109.htm
http://www.gwsus.com/english/product...em/eps350c.htm

I know the power system is brushed, and I have no expereince with brushed motors and ESC, so I have a few questions.

1. Can I use LiPo batteries with this? I think it can handle a 2S battery, as the voltage range is 6.0V-8.4V.
2. I couldn't tell from the description, does it come with a brushed ESC?
3. Can I use my Spektrum radio/receiver?
4. I really dislike the GWS landing gear, is this an OK belly lander?

I'd really like to try and used the brushed motor, instead of gutting it and throwing in a brushless set-up. But if it doesn't work with my current equipment, then I will convert it.

Thanks in advance.
Don
dmccalmon is offline Find More Posts by dmccalmon
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:02 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
The 109 I found at Tower looks like it doesn't come with a brushed ESC. If it does it will work with a 2s lipo batt. it just won't have the correct LVC so you will have to watch it.

If it doesn't include the brushed ESC I would scrap the motor and go brushless with something like this and you can use 3s lipos and have a fun plane.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

Yes you can bellyland it.(on grass)

Your radio will work fine.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Oct 2011
100 Posts
Thanks for the response. I did find a brushed ESC on Hobby King, 20amp for $5.

I'll definitely check out that motor, looks good. If I don't use it right now for this bird, I can use out on my other planes.

Don
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
+1 for the 2822 motor. Great power and much better finishing than the TP 2409/2410 motor.

But, this motor might be too light for the ME-109 especially for the EPO version. I have this http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2C-28mm/Detail in my Zero replacing the TP 2409, much better in balancing the plane.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
+1 for the 2822 motor. Great power and much better finishing than the TP 2409/2410 motor.

But, this motor might be too light for the ME-109 especially for the EPO version. I have this http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...2C-28mm/Detail in my Zero replacing the TP 2409, much better in balancing the plane.
Thanks, another great reference. Seems like it has plenty of power.

When I get the plane, I'll balance it out and see how much weight I need in the nose.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:47 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Remember

ALL weight is toxic.

Except motors & batteries.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:51 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
ALL weight is toxic.

Except motors & batteries.
That's right!
First rule when building a plane..... keep it as light as possible!
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
It's the "Powerup 480 Plus" motor, listed and linked on the headsuprc page for the Formosa-II. I've never had a bad motor from them... in fact this is the first time I've bought a plane from them. (headsuprc, that is.)
I like that motor and use it with a GWS 9075 prop on a 4S setup (one of the cool things about this motor). The 9075 distorts quite a bit as it spins past its specified range, emitting a loud train whistle sound when the plane isn't moving. Let's people know I am taking off. I did run into an issue with the PU 480 recently when one of the 3.5mm bullets popped off the lead. An easy solder job and a new one was on. I also went with an aluminum mount which also helps dissipate heat in addition to accommodating the larger base of the 480
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:05 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,340 Posts
LOL. Did you ever hear about the GWS erupting volcano mold? Well, you are about to. Having crashed the Mosa on Sunday, I figured I will make a mold out of the cowl before I put it on the Plane. I didn't feel like making a trip to the hardware store to get plaster. I remembered my Son had this erupting volcano kit and I figured I don't have anything to lose... I also run out of silicone spray so I used Vaseline instead. The result is below. It still needs to fully dry. It is not statue quality (given the air bubbles and the lines) but I think for its purpose it will do just fine (plus it can always double duty as an erupting volcano..). The funny thing is, that being a Soda free house, the wife will have to pick up some 2 liter bottles of anything whenever she is next in the supermarket before I can actually mold anything...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,174 Posts
Nice looking mold. but you might want to drill a hole and add a wood stick to it, so you can hold and rotate it when you hot shrinking the plastic bottle.

Depends on how hot the temperature you plan to use, those bubbles may or may not print to the plastic. I was using a heat gun from Harbor freight, and the imperfection is very visible, but I can live with that. Or you can put some plaster to fill the bubbles.

We have not bought any soda since my kids were born.. So, I invited people to my house for BBQ and asked them to bring soda, works great!
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:42 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,716 Posts
We drink soda here on the regular, but unfortunately it's usually 12 pack cans.

Nice job on the mold! I agree that you might want to skim over the air bubbles with some spackle if you want your cowls to come out really nice.

It's all a matter of personal preference at this point really.
Hit N Run is offline Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:10 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
LOL. Did you ever hear about the GWS erupting volcano mold? Well, you are about to. Having crashed the Mosa on Sunday, I figured I will make a mold out of the cowl before I put it on the Plane. I didn't feel like making a trip to the hardware store to get plaster. I remembered my Son had this erupting volcano kit and I figured I don't have anything to lose... I also run out of silicone spray so I used Vaseline instead. The result is below. It still needs to fully dry. It is not statue quality (given the air bubbles and the lines) but I think for its purpose it will do just fine (plus it can always double duty as an erupting volcano..). The funny thing is, that being a Soda free house, the wife will have to pick up some 2 liter bottles of anything whenever she is next in the supermarket before I can actually mold anything...
Your volcano looks good.

A product I haven't used but gets rave reviews for making molds is Durhams Water Putty.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/durham-...l#.UGurH8Uahn8
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky