SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:08 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Arnav, stop saying you have "inferior" electronics in your Mosa #2! Your components are better than mine in a 3DHS 48" Exrta!

How's you 1.5 buck huck doing? Save your UBEC for that, your Proton will be more than capable for the MOSA. With the weight saving, you will have more fun harriering and hucking on the Mosa.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 09:26 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
haha, sorry, I didn't mean to insult anyone's electronics. Just meant relative to the previous build... I put my Mosa in a timeout in the corner for the rest of the night to make up for it.

Having finished the Mosa build I just started on the Edge. I just brushed up on the buck huck videos and laid out everything on the table. So basically all that is left is everything... However, compare to a GWS kit, it looks like a piece of cake... I have everything that I need so it shouldn't take long. Should be an interesting weekend. I am hoping to maiden both the Mosa and the Edge..
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:09 PM
Suspended Account
Switzerland
Joined Aug 2012
173 Posts
I don't get it, why buy an EPS foam plane ever?
mikhail tupulov is offline Find More Posts by mikhail tupulov
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:23 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhail tupulov View Post
I don't get it, why buy an EPS foam plane ever?
EPS is what they were before they were EPO.

Plane for plane the EPS is lighter.

Although more fragile the EPS tends to break clean and easier to piece back together.

Recently I have hunted down and bought some old EPS GWS models even though they were more expensive just because I feel they fly better.

JMHO, Bart
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:54 AM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
537 Posts
FORMOSA, FW190 : a few questions

Hi guys, all this talk of Formosa's....just what is/was a patternship??

Has anyone tried the Formosa clones from HobbyKing?? Not too sure if its EPS or EPO.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...10mm_ARF_.html

Just how good are the GWS FW 190 EPO(eps) ??
Local hobby shop is selling the 190 at a reasonable price, stick motor mount & being unpainted are the 2 negatives I see. Are they as good a flyer as something more 'current' , say an Parkzone ,or FMS etc.?? How do they hold up in a crash ??

How well do those 2 planes fly in wind??
Just considering options for the next plane
Cheers
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I'm not sure how to define "pattern" plane but it has to do with F3A competition. Longer fuselage means it's less pitchy and carves smooth lines in the sky.

Look up the "Monolog" at Nitroplanes.com -- a friend turned me on to it. Amazing price for a 47" balsa pattern/3D plane.

The two GWS Formosas are somewhat different -- apart from just the size. The small one is closer to the pattern formula, the big one is more of a pattern/3D hybrid, owing to its large ailerons. They are both excellent performers in wind.

Crash resistance of GWS planes: all I can say is that they are generally repairable. All of my GWS planes have taken numerous hard hits and been repaired multiple times. Of course there's a limit... I've built five so far, of which two remain.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 29, 2012, 06:45 AM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Hi,

Having had GWS EPS and multiplex EPO, I would take the epo anytime. Unless you couver your eps in tissue/polyu varnish it will suffer from alot ofg hanger rash and also on a bad impact you wont find all the bits - epo you will I have had a GWS mosa1, corsair and texan. The mosa1 was beyond repair and the other 2 are going great.

Anyway back to the mosa2 balance issues

Vince_tt - OK 34oz is a reassuring auw
arnav - agreed the motor will stick out of the cowl!
I was trying to get the auw in the range with everything balanced and I could not square the circle!

Motor Weight: 78g
Rpm/Volt (kv):1070
Idle Current (Io) @8,4 V:0.6A
Resistance (Ri): 0.045
Power:360W

So it basically looks like I have to add lots of oz upfront to use existing batttery bay, or have less oz upfront and make my own battery bay further forwards. I think my favoured route would be an auw of around 30oz and make my own battery bay.

Arnav what is the auw of your mosa2?

Regards

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
I am in between Mosa's. I am waiting on a new motor which should be here today or tomorrow and then I will weigh the new one. I am expecting the new one to be about 60g lighter. I am not obsessing about the weight. Merely mentioning factual data/expectation. The Mosa II can fly heavy very well and handles being very nose heavy very well as well.
The previous one's AUW was probably around 4lbs so 1.8kg or 64Oz! It is measured on a digital home scale which gives a different results each time so the margin of error could be +/-0.5kg. Even at 64Oz (assuming it is correct), it flew beautifully, had unlimited vertical, hovered really well, and handled 17mph winds without a sweat (with a power 15 tough). With a 3000mah bat I would set the timer for 7mins.

I think your motor is on the light side. I remember the recommendation in the original 2006 Mosa II build thread was to stick with a motor that is at least 100G to specifically avoid the issues that you are experiencing. You say that your motor puts out 350W. However, I am assuming that is peak W which the motor can probably keep for only 15 secs. You should get other opinions, or search this thread but my personal opinion is that the Mosa II does great with a big motor. I think it is well worth it to put a 350W (base) to 550W (peak) motor on it (e.g. power 10/15). It is just too much fun this way.
Would you be open to switching your motor? Since you can have a motor for as little at 10 to $25 it may be worth considering. If your current motor only puts 200 to 250W at half throttle, I don't think the motor is big enough for the Mosa 2.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
UK
Joined Dec 2002
206 Posts
Hi Arnav,

That sounds like a flying brick!!

Thanks for the informative posting, sounds like a I need a new motor and esc and yes that was peak power and I think with the 10.6x5 prop came in at 270watts.

I fly the gws texan (eps) that is only slighly smaller (but much lighter) so thought this power setup would be about right but I had not appreciated the difference epo would make.

btw - Notice your in Miami, my daughter past through on the way to Mexixo on her honeymoon on Monday. She decided against the offer of lift on the mosa

nick
nickthefarrow is offline Find More Posts by nickthefarrow
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
haha, check the videos here and let me know what you think. I think it is more like a rocket vs a brick...
Granted, maybe my Mosa is twice as heavy as everyone else's, but with a 10x6 prop I had to fly almost at WOT. Now I use an 11x8.

I don't think it is the EPO vs. EPS which contributes the most to the weight. Keep in mind the figures I provided were from my EPS Mosa. It is ultimately the components you put inside IMO. For example:
- My servos where twice as heavy (17G)
- The motor was 50G heavier than your normal 100G motor.
- The 3000mah batteries alone are 270G!

If you fly in windy conditions (which in FL at times it is), that extra weight is very positive. I know I can fly it in <20mph winds without flinching. Only being able to fly on the weekend for 2 hours or so, I also like the extra flying times the larger batteries provide. I can prob get away with 8, 9 mins if I really wanted.

Congratulations!! I hope she didn't get stuck in the tropical storm we just had here. Now you should have more $ to buy more airplanes right?
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
I thought I was ready for tomorrow. I just installed the new motor and Rx but the stock LG doesn't support the weight of the Plane . With a little pressure it caves sideways. I have no idea how anyone can possibly get away using the stock gear. Has anyone else seen this? I'll see if I can "fabricate" something quickly from piano wire, otherwise i'll go back to the T-28 wheels..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Aug 31, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
LG has always been the weak point of GWS planes. I spent a fair amount of time & effort upgrading the LG on my big Formosa. Same thought as you... how could this ever have worked? To be fair - LG is the weak point of most planes, but GWS just laughs off the whole issue.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:03 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Thanks for letting me know it is not only me... I quickly created custom ones from 3/8 piano wire (or whatever it was). Now I have 4" clearance with an 11" prop and I am very excited about it. Perhaps now I will be able to go a more then a weekend without having to change a prop. Wait until you see the wheels I put on her. She is a bush Formosa now.!

She is actually all done. She is different than her sister (including CG location). Sorry, too tired to post pics. Got to go to bed, Maiden is in 5hrs..

Oh I hate maidens...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,873 Posts
Mainden'd the second Mosa 2 build today. Only had time for two packs.
First flight was a little scary. Had to apply about 1/3 to a half of up elevator trim (more on that below). The plane felt very twitchy and almost too maneuver . I suspect it is because the first build was fairly nose heavy where as this build is tail heavy.
The CG with a 3000mah battery is 5mm behind the spar, With a 2600mah battery the CG is 10mm behind the spar. I had to add 28G in the nose or else the CG would be 130mm from the LE. Over time I should be able to remove the weight from the nose.

On the second flight it felt much less twitchy, so it must be the Pilot factor. I do have 50% expo programed.. On a downwind leg right prior to a turn it felt like I lost a signal for a sec and the Plane did a loop. I regained control when the loop completed. Unfortunately the AR400 doesn't show holds info. You either need telemetry or flight log. Will get a telemetry module. I will also take the antenna out and keep it outside the fuse. It should allow me to extend it slightly further back.

Landing was a challenge. 5 feet of the ground, when i reducing the throttle, it started to climb on both landing attempts! I suspect that as evident by the required up trim that I am missing down thrust. Right?

It is a pleasure to fly with the new LG. It just plowed through the weeds on takeoff with those 2-3/4" wheels and no nose over on landings.

With the power up 15 vs. the e-flite power 15 I got two mins less flight time. I will check later if it is due to motor inefficiency or more watt drawn.

This was the previous Mosa. Here are the pics of the current build. I like the previous scheme better, but this one is more visible.

EDIT: added a pic of how currently the AR400 Sat is mounted.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Sep 01, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:48 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,213 Posts
Congratulation to successful maiden. Your description confused me a bit. Did you mean "up elevator" trim on the transmitter to actually push the head down, or the other way?
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT