str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
very true. Time to move to another Plane or another Mosa build. Yes, I want to scratch build. In fact, I already have a few pieces of foam laying around for that purposes. I am thinking of a flying wing...

Will you link here to any scratch build threads you start or posts so I can follow along?
If you really want to get into 3D flying, try this one.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964237

It's cheap and durable. With some CF rod reinforcements, It can fly in mild wind. No high speed pass and high energy stuff like your Mosa, but you can master harrier, hover, rolling cycle, and knife edge all day long with this little plane. I normally fly mine within 8 feet above the ground that really build up my confidence and skill for recovery. I can honestly said that, after getting this plane, I have not had any dumb thumb moment on my warbirds. (plenty on my 3D planes but I asked for that). My current build is a Electricfly Ultimate 3D bipe, and a 3DHS Slick will be next. My GWS P-40 just got postponed again.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,543 Posts
Thanks for the links Vince and Jim. I will definitely look into it. It looks great and very promising at first glance. I will let you know what I end up picking.

I spent some time gluing up the Mosa this afternoon but this time the fuse ended up curved (S curved from the canopy onwards if it makes any sense). Maybe it is important to know when to call it quits. Enough chasing my tail. She served me well. RIP good Mosa. It was only my 2nd ever RC airplane and it taught me so much. time to move on.. This weekend instead of flying I am building some planes! Next on the Agenda:
- 3DHS 48" Edge (should be a quick build).
- EPO Mosa 2. I am excited to be able to use CA and a wider range of paints...
- Something to learn 3D on... (Thanks Vince)
- A scratch built (Thanks Jim)
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
Well, I"ll own up to it- it might have been a mistake going to 4S. Just flew 2 batts and on the 2nd flight the motor melted the GWS motor mount. I wonder if tinfoil might be able to insulate the mount from the motor. Any ideas out there?
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
You need a plywood firewall and it seems that you over proped.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Aug 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
funny thing is that the previous battery was fine- motor @ 120f measured on the heat gun. Looking at aluminum stick mounts right now....
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:29 AM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,543 Posts
craziness.
I am a fan of the ply motor mounts as well (specifically for higher powered setups).

BTW,

- Did anyone try putting 2" or larger wheels on the Mosa 2? The small wheels are killing me on the grass. I currently use parkzone T-28 wheels on mine (which still have small diameter but at least wider).

- I am assuming everyone glues their servos with hotglue, silicone (or whatever) or am I missing an elegant way of making them removable? Kind of suck not to be able to easily change a servo in the field, check the servos' arm screws, etc'
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
After hanging the Islander for awhile, I brought it out on a new rx. I used the Spektrum I had in there in another plane since I wasn't flying the Islander. I can't believe I pulled off a scale landing. come down and rolled out the mains for 3-4 feet before settling on the nose gear....I've been doing the takeoffs like that for some time....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
After hanging the Islander for awhile, I brought it out on a new rx. I used the Spektrum I had in there in another plane since I wasn't flying the Islander. I can't believe I pulled off a scale landing. come down and rolled out the mains for 3-4 feet before settling on the nose gear....I've been doing the takeoffs like that for some time....
Congrats on the Islander....

I found that sanding/rounding the Leading edges of the wings from the motors out to the tips greatly reduced the tendency of my BN2 to tip stall.
It's a much nicer plane now...
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:13 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
really! interesting
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:43 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
really! interesting
Mine would occasionally want to drop a wing and head for the deck if it got the least bit too slow in a turn. Also now when flaring for landing the wings stay more level.

Not a lot of rounding. but I'm sure it helped.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:06 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Well fellas, had another snafu - darn it all! Bought new crystals for my E-Starter receiver, and forgot to put the tape back on that keeps the crystal seated.

Flew for a good 20 minutes, then suddenly I had no control.....nothing. The crystal came loose. It circled around a couple times then flew into a wooded area with very tall pine trees. Gone but not forgotten. Amazing how well it flew with no input from me....stayed up a couple minutes.

So I got another one! It came yesterday, but it's a little different than the last few GWS planes I got...can't quite put my finger on it....something is missing...
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Old Aug 21, 2012, 04:52 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere View Post
Well fellas, had another snafu - darn it all! Bought new crystals for my E-Starter receiver, and forgot to put the tape back on that keeps the crystal seated.

Flew for a good 20 minutes, then suddenly I had no control.....nothing. The crystal came loose. It circled around a couple times then flew into a wooded area with very tall pine trees. Gone but not forgotten. Amazing how well it flew with no input from me....stayed up a couple minutes.

So I got another one! It came yesterday, but it's a little different than the last few GWS planes I got...can't quite put my finger on it....something is missing...
If your TX has a failsafe facility its always worth programming - throttle should close if Rx contact is lost and maybe programme in a very gentle turn. May need a little elevator too to counter the fact that it's flying "dead stick". Ask me how I know this
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:39 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
In China, cardboard or wood pulp must be becoming more rare than plastic.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:43 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Still fixing my Mosa from its last crash (pilot error flying too low doing inverted figure 8s). Going with lightweight fiberglass cloth and 30 min epoxy. The cracks can still be seen if held up to sunlight but the wings should be stronger with the repair.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres