HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:40 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,551 Posts
Assuming you are going with a brushless setup, there are two camps... Those how mounts their motors on a stick, and those who glue a ply square with a ply/metal mount with an X style adapter. I like the ply way but everyone has their favorite method of the two. Pretty much any motor can be used because there is plenty of room under the cowl and you will just need to create (or buy) a motor mount according to the motor you choose.

All these are known to have worked well with the Mosa 2:

Tower Pro 2408-21
BX 1060KV
AXI 2212/26
Revolution Shop 300 Watt Outrunner
Hacker A30-16M
Walkera 3200
Himax 3610
Hacker A30-16M
himaxx 2812-1080
Tower Prop 2915-5 Delta
Tower Pro BM 2908-10
Turnigy Aerodrive 1300kv
eflite 6 series
Turnigy 35-30C 1100Kv motor
E-flitePark 480
TR3542-1000kv
eflite 450
E-Flite power 10
Rimfire 35-36-1000
Power UP 25 Sport motor (900 kv)
E-Flite power 15 (which is the one I am using, tough it does require adding a little weight in the tail....)

Pick one?
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:46 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,455 Posts
Beautiful!

Thanks so much for your help.

Mike
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Aug 08, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,551 Posts
pleasure. I love my 500W+ Mosa and wouldn't have it any other way... but I guess it depends on your flying style and your expectations of it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
What Arnav said -- there's plenty of room under the hood on the big Mosa, and the airframe (notwithstanding the LG) can easily handle 400+ watts. You will need to improvise some sort of motor mount, but in any case you have a large, flat fuselage cross-section to mount it against. Gorilla Glue makes an excellent bond from plywood to foam.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 08, 2012, 07:43 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
I haven't started the build yet on my Mosa 2 (too busy having fun with the Mosa 1) but all the parts arrived. Going with a 480 or .10 sized motor. To truly see all what the Mosa 2 can give, safe to say you'll want a power system that put outs 300 plus watts or more.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Aug 08, 2012, 10:19 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Well folks, I must report the demise of my C130. I've been flying it a lot lately, and it's had its share of repairs. But today was the one, man.

I had been up for 10 minutes or so, a really nice session....and circled in for the approach. Got her coming in nice and smooth, and about 100 yards or so out, it suddenly nosed in...*hard*...as if I had given it full down on the stick. It was about 20ft up and I reacted to the dive but nothing happened...it was a torpedo.

Boom

Buried that sucker's nose in the impact.

At this point I don't know if it lost contact with the radio or what..when it dove I gave it the sticks but it didn't respond. Oh well....it's a done deal now.

I've re-attached the nose before, but that isn't gonna work this time...it's severly mangled, and some parts were lost in the thick, gnarly wet grass. However, the wing can be fixed easily, motors are fine, and the aft sections are undamaged. I started thinking I may roll some dollar tree foam and see if I can shape a new fuse section from the landing gear forward. The nose will be tricky though.
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:48 AM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news. I've managed to do worse nose damage and by cutting and adding foam from packaging material I could get the plane to fly again.

That's why I bind, fly and trim,and rebind again so if there's a glitch, brownout, or complete TX loss, the fail safe puts it in a gliding setting or as best as its glide can be but for sure no nose down or dive.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:19 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,551 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Plane. Looks fixable tough? Did you try the boiling water method? It works even on EPS. Unlike EPO it will not pop completely to its original shape by itself so when its hot, carefully massage it back it to the required shape. I feel like it would be easier to epoxy it in and then fill in the gaps with new foam than to create an equivalent from scratch.

If it is any consolation, after a few good months without a crash, I crashed the Mosa II three times in the last two weeks but brought it back to life after each time. Two of the times the fuse was shattered to pieces, and the cowl area was obliterated in all three... It became a routine...
- Glue all missing pieces with epoxy
- Spackle and let dry, sand.
- Paint 1st color and let dry
- Paint second color and let dry
- Put electronics back in..
The whole process takes a few good hours over the course of about 2 to 3 days depending on the severity. God, I am tried of crashing.... Maybe I don't want to learn 3D after all... Yesterday, trying to pull a harrier landing I stalled 20ft off the ground and darted it in. I should have been able to recover but the guy talking to me at the same time was not helping for my concentration level. Glued her back up late last night and knowing no one will be at the field today, I put 5 packs through her looking like . I'm happy I went, despite whay she looks like, it was great fun. I am tempted to keep her like that (with Spackle pieces falling off)

Good luck with the repair!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:34 PM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
All the more worse, it was a *great* flight. It was a calm day, and she was really handling well in the air. I had just replaced the receiver with a Optima 6 and was finally flying her at 2.4GHz. Had A/R mixing, and about 40% expo....and she was responding better than ever. Very smooth and uneventful....until she pitched forward hard on the approach.

I'm gonna let it ride for a few days and do another inspection. I'm well aquainted with plugging holes, epoxy, and spackling....so I may be able to pull it off.
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere View Post
Well folks, I must report the demise of my C130. I've been flying it a lot lately, and it's had its share of repairs. But today was the one, man.

I had been up for 10 minutes or so, a really nice session....and circled in for the approach. Got her coming in nice and smooth, and about 100 yards or so out, it suddenly nosed in...*hard*...as if I had given it full down on the stick. It was about 20ft up and I reacted to the dive but nothing happened...it was a torpedo.

Boom

Buried that sucker's nose in the impact.

At this point I don't know if it lost contact with the radio or what..when it dove I gave it the sticks but it didn't respond. Oh well....it's a done deal now.

I've re-attached the nose before, but that isn't gonna work this time...it's severly mangled, and some parts were lost in the thick, gnarly wet grass. However, the wing can be fixed easily, motors are fine, and the aft sections are undamaged. I started thinking I may roll some dollar tree foam and see if I can shape a new fuse section from the landing gear forward. The nose will be tricky though.
ouch, but you could build a helluva seaplane out of it now...reusing some oarts of course. Maybe a US-2
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:02 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,551 Posts
Ordered an EPO Mosa II...
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
ouch, but you could build a helluva seaplane out of it now...reusing some oarts of course. Maybe a US-2
I'd hate to waste any oarts.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Aug 11, 2012, 03:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Help - need Formosa 1 canopy

Crashed onto a roof of nearby building today. Flying upside down figure 8s - many times did this before - and either a stall or downward wind gust (never pilot error!) caused it to crash. Anyways, canopy is gone, nowhere to be found. Checked RCG and some say use 24 oz plastic bottle. I tried to order from Caliber Hobby but the item is discontinued!!

Any help, ideas? Thanks.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:48 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
199 Posts
Q. whats yellow and red and only flies once
A. my new T6 ........... bugger!!!!!!

dont use a straight extension on the ESC to receiver lead you go into a lovely spiral dive when they come apart..

actually all the bits all went back as they should thanks to white gorrila glue and cocktail sticks, even the cowl that was in three pieces is now back in one piece
The ESC led......... now soldered , no connection in the middle

this was a shame as the plane was flying beautifully, having just trimmed it out , I tried a stall and it recovered fine but the lead came off when I was spinning and recovering .....

It will fly again , probably tomorrow....crash pictures to follow when I find the camera lead
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Crashed onto a roof of nearby building today. Flying upside down figure 8s - many times did this before - and either a stall or downward wind gust (never pilot error!) caused it to crash. Anyways, canopy is gone, nowhere to be found. Checked RCG and some say use 24 oz plastic bottle. I tried to order from Caliber Hobby but the item is discontinued!!

Any help, ideas? Thanks.
Why is it that everyone always seems to crash their planes at same time? Sorry to hear about your planes.
I checked both of my LHS and they only offer cowls not canopies. Why caliber hobby tough? Is it not easier for you to order from Asia where presumably GWS is bigger?
RCG Plus Member