HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:20 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well Mr. Brown just delivered my 2 Beavers.

Only problem is they turned into Moth 400's somehow LOL. Not sure if I screwed up the order or Caliber did, but I guess the elusive Beaver will remain the phantom it seems to have become.

At least these 2 seem to be the new foam. Not sure I really need 3 Moth 400's, though. Will probably try to sell one at the City Field and keep one for a back up.

Just got back from the LHS as these were being delivered. Picked up the new wings for the Pico that I have been restoring, and assorted crap for general build/repair use.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
So while I was out I picked up some more eye screws and have started setting up for the wing wires in the Moth 400. I am replacing the strut screws with eye screws and then attaching the wing wires to that.

While I had the wings off I propped the bent wing on a table with a touch of washout at the tips and heated it for about 5 min with a hair dryer - very carefully. I think it seemed to take some of the bend out without damaging the wing. Will try to get the rest out with the wires.

Weather looks decent - not great - in the morning, so hoping to get out and fly. Might be too windy for the bi-wings, though. We shall see.

Wolfe
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:13 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I have the the wing wires partially installed - top center to bottom wing. Looks like the "droop" is gone. Think I will fly her this way a couple of times and then put the other wires i.,

Wolfe
Old Nov 11, 2011, 08:19 PM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Sounds cool wolfewinde. Any flight video any time soon?
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Not sure about flight videos. I just got a new digital camera, but I haven't really used it yet. I don't know if it will take videos or not. Will try to figure that out this weekend. I should at least get some still shots posted pretty soon.

Wolfe
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:19 PM
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Sounds good wolf!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 05:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
338 Posts
So the GWS Corsair without electronics I ordered from Horizon showed up the other day and I was quite surprised to open the box and see a mass of white sitting there. I was not aware that paint was part of the power system. I guess I didn't notice the "none color" at the bottom of the specs. I really think they should make that very salient point a little more prominent on the website. Between that and my E-Flite SE 5a that barely flies, I'm not happy Horizon Hobby right now. Caveat emptor.

I bought some spray paint but I'm afraid of it attacking the foam. It definitely seems like older foam. not the new shiny stuff. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
rickthebrewer is online now Find More Posts by rickthebrewer
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:09 PM
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Hey rickthebrewer, You can get a number of foam safe aerosol paints. Krylon H2O is ok but sometimes the spay comes out in big messy globs. Michaels has a line of foam safe paints that are for floral design, and the Michaels line has a wide range of colors. Also have you considered an airbrush? Harbor Freight carries a 10 dollar kit. Hope this helps.

P.S. What is wrong with your E-flite SE 5a?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:10 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well actually there are advantages to having the white foam. You can tape the fuse halves together without pulling paint off, and you can get a better paint job in the end.

Best finish will come from filling the mold marks with light spackling, then sanding those smooth. Once that is done, paint the whole thing with Min Wax polycrylic clear finish diluted about 50/50 with auto window washer fluid or water. Just use a cheap foam brush for that. Sand the whole thing lightly with 400 grit sandpaper when that dries.

Then the easiest paint is any Acrylic Craft paint, again diluted with WWF or water and using a foam brush. Takes about 3 coats to get a good solid color saturation, but it ends up being a very light weight paint job.

You can clear coat it again when you are done to protect the paint job

I am in the process of doing this now to a Formosa

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Nov 12, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
338 Posts
Lilbanks96 - see this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1530861
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:20 PM
Joined Oct 2003
921 Posts
Hey Rick, sorry you got a surprise with the plane not being painted. To be honest I don't think you're really missing out on the factory paint. From what I've seen the past, the paint jobs were pretty lousy. At least not very inspiring. Also, they hinder the build process a bit, as the paint can come off from what I've heard, with the use of tape. I also think that the painted kits added more to the price than they were worth.

As far as painting goes, I painted my corsair back in the day with Tamiya TS paints. You can also use cheap craft store acrylic paints thinned out and sprayed through an airbrush. The Tamiya paints aren't cheap, but they're as good as the get, and I know from experience they don't eat the foam.

On the bright side, you can now do the paint scheme exactly as you want it, and it will definitely look better stock
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Nov 12, 2011, 06:51 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
The GWS slope soar kits have always been unpainted, which I prefer. From what I have seen all the new EPO kits are white also.

Here's a site with a better description of available kits.
http://www.caliberhobby.com/f4u_kits.html
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Last edited by bartricky; Nov 12, 2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 08:58 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
As much as it seems a hassle to have to paint the model yourself, I have always preferred the white slope kits too. You end up with a better plane when you do the painting yourself, I think.

Several good paint options posted - TY all!

Formosa I is largly done now. Electronics are all in, plane is assembled and mostly painted. Still have to hook up the push rods, paint the wing tips, and put in the main LG, but that is about it. Should finish her tomorrow.

I think I am going to try a HiMax 2015-4100 geared motor- installed now - and a 1300 2s battery with a 12 x 6 apc prop. I am hoping she will perform well at medium speeds and stay fairly light with that set up. If it isn't enough power, I will move up to the 2025 and a 3s battery.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; Nov 12, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 08:28 AM
Joined Jul 2011
338 Posts
So the question I have is do I paint the parts separately, or glue it together and then paint?
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:37 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Depends on your colour scheme - if you're painting a warbird with camouflage that "flows" from one component to the next then yes, otherwise no.

Some examples - all painted with foam friendly rattlecan or with tamiya acrylic from pots, thinned about 50/50 with windscreen deicer fluid and sprayed via a cheapo craft airbrush. Some rattlecans use a propellant that is not foam friendly and why use deicer fluid? Because it's about 50% alcohol so it thins the paint for spraying but then "flashes off" so it dries quicker.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Last edited by Roger Lombard; Nov 13, 2011 at 09:45 AM.