HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Arnav: I thought you gonna to get a 3DHS instead of another Mosa. I have not flown a Mosa but do have some foamie aerobatic/3D planes that I used to feel "precision" in flight until I got a 3DHS and a balsa Edge 540. The downside is, these planes are too pretty to crash and not really a park flyer. So, I am still flying my GWS most of the time.
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:46 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Well I might as well give up flying model planes all together! The weather in the UK right now is seriously putting a 'dampener' on my flying. I know it's off topic, but now I'm working again, I was hoping to put a MPX Twinstar/Fatshark/GoPro package together and go FPVing, but I don't think I'll bother now.
davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:40 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,553 Posts
Vince, I did get a 3DHS Plane... The 48" Orange Edge (AKA buck huck 1.5).
Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to put it together yet. Hopefully next week. Having said that, that doesn't change the fact I want another Mosa as well. Though maybe that will change after I fly the Edge so I should reserve judgment.
Re "too pretty to crash and not really a park flyer."
Another option is to get the buck huck (41" Edge). At $109 it is probably cheaper than the Mosa once you factor in the time it takes to build the Mosa. So if it crashes it is a reasonable lose. I must say tough that after spending some time on the 3DHS threads, and given the fact 3DHS sell motor boxes for them, I do see many folks do repair them and bring them back to life from "matchsticks" state. So other than the 41" Edge, if you do decide to stick with GWS, and while I haven't flown any other GWS Plane, I highly recommend the Mosa. I like that it is on the bigger side of the GWS spectrum. 800mm feels too small for me.
Just make sure you put a ridiculously strong motor on it for that extra fun factor. I love how fast it is.

davylah, sorry to hear about the weather. Do you have a "go to" plane for windy gray days? You need a bright color scheme against those gray skies...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:40 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Davylah: Just saw this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683248 that makes me want to try FPV as well!

I can ease your anxiety by flying your beautiful BN2, Beaver and GR7 for you. All you need to do is to ship them over, and I will take videos for you every week! How does that sound?

The temperature here is over 95 degree everyday for a week already, no good for flying either. I am so bored and want to mow the lawn....
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:46 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_TT View Post
Davylah: Just saw this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683248 that makes me want to try FPV as well!

I can ease your anxiety by flying your beautiful BN2, Beaver and GR7 for you. All you need to do is to ship them over, and I will take videos for you every week! How does that sound?

The temperature here is over 95 degree everyday for a week already, no good for flying either. I am so bored and want to mow the lawn....
Thanks Vince, sort of like adopting a plane?
I probably will give the FPV thing a go eventually, but the rain in the UK seems to be set in for good. Also, the shifts I'm now working at Airbus are 12 hours from 1900 to 0700 so I'm asleep most of the day. The only chance I get to fly now is on a weekend. I can't seem to strike a decent balance between work rest and play!!!
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
davylah, sorry to hear about the weather. Do you have a "go to" plane for windy gray days? You need a bright color scheme against those gray skies...
It's not a case of having a 'Go to' plane. It has rained here for so long that I'd need an rc submarine to get any use out of my local flying field
Old Jul 06, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Davylah: now I see where your problem (or mine) is, you put your priorities in reverse....Should be in the order of play, rest and work, and then you will find time. I hate raining days, too. So I always have some extra projects to work with, or switching electronics from one to the other in those days. Just spent two hours last night to solder six good cells from four lipos into two good batteries. Way to kill time!

Arnav, I fly my 3DHS 48" Extra and my 49" Edge every weekend, but they are just not everyday flyers due of their size. Instead, I can pack up my Spit, FW190, Balsa Pitts, and my scratch built Yak55 in my trunk and go to the nearby school yard for an hour of fun after dinner. Interesting that I have a power 10 in my 48" and you have a power 15 in your Mosa! So, flying the 1.5 Huck will be easy for you.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
found a B2, cargo and P-38 at my LHS today
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,553 Posts
Vince, given your post let me ask you a few questions...

- I have two batteries whose leads got disconnected so they read like 2S instead of 3S (see pic). I am not fussed becuase the manufacturer replaced them. But based on what you said, is it worth opening them and solder the lead back in? I have no idea what goes on inside those li-Pos

- How do you like the Edge with the Power 10? The folks on the 3DHS thread would make it seem like using anything other than the Omega motor is a crime .
I was toying with the idea of reusing the power 15 from the Mosa (at least in the short term until I can convince myself I can actually fly it...).

Thanks for the vote of confidence...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:04 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,159 Posts
Arnav,

I had a 3DHS Extra 300 SHP with a 72g Omega which is the small Omega. It was very nice for sport flying.

Easier to fly than the Formosa. Keep the batts small, like 2200mAh.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:20 PM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,761 Posts
Quote:

- I have two batteries whose leads got disconnected so they read like 2S instead of 3S (see pic). I am not fussed becuase the manufacturer replaced them. But based on what you said, is it worth opening them and solder the lead back in? I have no idea what goes on inside those li-Pos
I've hd some leads come loose on a few of my lipo packs over time and i've carefully opened up the end od the lipo pack and VERY VERY carefully re-soldered them back in place. Still working fine to this very day and that was almost a year ago.

For me, it's always been the balance leads coming loose because some brands have very stiff wires and they can't take much abuse.

Lately i've been buying a lot of the Gens Ace, Sky Lipo and EZ-Flite packs. They all have soft/bendable leads on everything so they can take much more wear and tear in my opinion.
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,553 Posts
thanks guys. I'll give battery surgery a try...

BTW, did you ever try to do 3D on the Mosa? I know technically it is not a 3D Plane and I didn't get it to be one, but I am just curious if I should try/bother practicing on it prior to doing it on the Edge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,761 Posts
Quote:
thanks guys. I'll give battery surgery a try...

BTW, did you ever try to do 3D on the Mosa? I know technically it is not a 3D Plane and I didn't get it to be one, but I am just curious if I should try/bother practicing on it prior to doing it on the Edge.
Formosa 3D Hovering Practice (3 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,761 Posts
It's been attempted, but it's not the greatest for 3-D flying. BUT, if you made the ailerons and tail surfaces larger, I think it would work pretty well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 12:16 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Arnav, that loosen lead shown in the picture should be an easy fix. But you have to be very careful not to over heat the battery. I had one lipo exploded right in front of me and that was scary! Use a high watts solder and do it as quick as possible. I don't know if it was because of flying in the heat waves, I suddenly have six 3s batteries lost one cell in each, new replacements are still in mail, so I just gave it a try. Bench test was fine, have not put the fixed batteries in my planes yet. These batteries normally go to my Spit and Pitts, but I reactivated my FMS P40 for testing that tells you my preference.

Agreed to Batricky, 3dhs plane is easier to fly than most of my foamy. The bigger wingspan makes it very stable at slow speed. I have no problem doing 3d tricks at three mistakes hight, but that's not what these planes are designed for- flying low and slow.

I use a Neo10 (3542 kv 1000) in the 48" Extra. I have great experience with this motor in a 3.5lb plane and I think it is equivalent to omega 130. I have Turnigy 3542 in my balsa Edge that also performs well. I do not have an Omega so can't tell the difference. But I will not hesitate to use power 15 in your Edge.
Last edited by Vince_TT; Jul 07, 2012 at 12:23 AM.