HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2012, 02:04 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I find the two GWS outrunner stick mounts, GWEMM28TS for up to 28mm OD and GWEMM002 for up to 36mm, to be fine andf you can adjust the thrust line by putting packer washers between the motor and the mount if it turns out that the stick offset itself isn't enough. Over the years, building I-don't-know-how-many GWS birds I've developed the habit of checking two things before I glue the fuselage halves together:

Is the battery slot big enough? More of an issue on the 1st generation birds which were designed to take an AA Nicad or NimH pack

Dummying up the motor installation so that it has offset (best guess) and that the stick is the right length to ensure that the motor is far enough forward to be able to put a prop on the shaft, and that it's not so far forward that it sticks out of. or interferes with, the cowl or nose as may be the case.

It's very frustrating once the fuselage is glued up with the stick glued in place to find it's too far forward or (much worse) too far back. Ask me how I know this. Even when I've dummied it up I still don't glue the stick in until I'm sure it's all as I want.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:11 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Yup with the not glueing in the stick until after. That's why the motor sticks out on my Mosa. After the next crash, I'll dremel of the tip of the stick, kinda like a circumcision but without the pain.

I just ordered two size .10 motors, an SK series from Hobbyking and a Tacon Bigfoot from Hobbypartz. Then I went on youtube to search for .10 motors on GWS models and found this -
Estarter RC Plane first fly (1 min 18 sec)

It doesn't say he has a .10 motor but his E-Starter weighs 700 grams and has 1000 gr thrust! He's flying in the wind and you can see it's heavy enough to fight the wind but the high wing doesn't make the cutting through the wind look cleanly. When you freeze the frames from the first 3 seconds, you'll see he modified the tail and didn't put in a rudder servo. I also don't use a rudder servo on my E-Starter since landings are so easy.

The video leaves me wondering how the wings don't snap from his high G turns with all the extra weight - maybe glassed?
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:56 AM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Don't forget Wolfe is using a power 10 on his Mosa 2 and I am using a power 15 (based on his recommendation). Unless it doesn't count because its one of the bigger GWS Planes? My wing did snap when i glued the faux CF with GWS glue as oppose to epoxy. I really wish they would make more planes that size.
I finally got a new mini cam (that will better fit the Mosa) so you will finally be able to see some footage and hopefully critique.

Living in FL makes you spoiled.

It has been windy and rainy the whole weekend and I am very agitated. I need my fix! I can't imagine not being able to fly for months at a time.

The weather better be amazing next week or i am going to have to short a li-po outside to appease the weather gods.

Whose turn is it to scarify an e-starter. a slow stick, or something?
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:51 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Gws p-38

I have 2 of these planes. They are expensive to build with the twin motors but are worth it. I built one with a set of Park 370 inrunners with GB and that one was fantastic but very expensive as the Park 370 motors are about $50 apiece. The E-Flite Park 370's with GWS 300 GearBox (B ratio) allowed me to tune the plane to a 8.60 prop. anything larger and you get prop strikes. This is the one thing that limits this plane is the prop size that you can use. If you use a outrunner, make sure its for a 8'' prop.

this one has a set of cheap BL outrunners and GWS 8.60 props, its not a power house with this combo but it was cheap and flys very scale like. I'm able to use a 1800mah 20c lipo from HK which are also resonable in price.

GWS P-38..close in flying (2 min 25 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Last edited by modfly; Jun 24, 2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:07 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
GWS Zero

I think the GWS Zero is my Favorite plane from GWS as its a very vertical plane that is a great wind flyer. The one in this video has a T-28 BL motor and Prop which balances this tail heavy plane just right with a 1350 3s 30c lipo. This one is set up for about 220 watts and gives new meaning to the words Unlimited Vertical..

GWS Zero with T-28 BL motor in wind (2 min 23 sec)
Old Jun 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,244 Posts
Good stuff modfly. I look forward to building both these models. I appreciate the heads up on the 38's prop size.

I like your choice of motor for the Zero instead of shoving the batt halfway out the firewall or using dead weight in the cowl. Did you run the ESC through the canopy because the fuse is just too small to squeeze it in?
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Jun 24, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
the thrust angles are set masterfully by GWS. There shouldn't be any adjustment. If you are concerned about getting the stick out use CAULK to adhere the 10x10 stick to the fuselage. You can work the stick out slowly without inflicting much damage to the foam. The black, plastic outrunner mounts by GWS will hold up to a 28.5mm diameter motor (can size).you could take a dremel to this mount and fit something bigger but I wouldn't risk it.
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
Old Jun 24, 2012, 05:11 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,244 Posts
The thrust angles are set fine if you're using the originally intended brushed motors. But if you want a 200-watt outrunner that puts out twice the thrust then the thrust angles will likely need to be increased.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the black plastic motor mounts mount the motor lower than the rest of the motor mounts in the posts above? The black plastic ones put the motor's shaft about 7/8" from the centerline of stick, whereas the mounts linked above put motor's shaft (and prop) at about half that distance. Which, I would reckon, would impose cowl/prop clearance issues?
Old Jun 24, 2012, 07:11 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Maybe i got lucky with the mosa as most certainly I didn't do anything scientific (read: measure). I may have sanded the ply mount a little I don't even remember but she needed zero trim up in the air.
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 24, 2012, 09:32 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
The thrust angles are set fine if you're using the originally intended brushed motors. But if you want a 200-watt outrunner that puts out twice the thrust then the thrust angles will likely need to be increased.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the black plastic motor mounts mount the motor lower than the rest of the motor mounts in the posts above? The black plastic ones put the motor's shaft about 7/8" from the centerline of stick, whereas the mounts linked above put motor's shaft (and prop) at about half that distance. Which, I would reckon, would impose cowl/prop clearance issues?
Some of the planes have two stick slots I'm pretty sure both mounts will work.

All my GWS (except the BN2)run around 200W, no problem with the stock off-set so far.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoam View Post
Good stuff modfly. I look forward to building both these models. I appreciate the heads up on the 38's prop size.

I like your choice of motor for the Zero instead of shoving the batt halfway out the firewall or using dead weight in the cowl. Did you run the ESC through the canopy because the fuse is just too small to squeeze it in?
The ESC is in the fuse behind the firewall in the Zero. The 1350 30c lipo sits in the canopy. The Zero is hard to balance with a stock motor as it was designed for ni-mh batteries. The one that is the hardest to balance is the GWS Spitfire. It has a very short nose and the cowl is not removable as it was also designed for ni-mh so balancing with a lipo can be a challenge. I run a SC 400 with GB in my Spit and even then the lipo sits right behind the motor.

GWS Spitfire @ 120 watts #2 (2 min 47 sec)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 05:14 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
Some of the planes have two stick slots I'm pretty sure both mounts will work.

All my GWS (except the BN2)run around 200W, no problem with the stock off-set so far.
The two stick holes are where you could specify either a 350 or 400 geared motor because the two have different sized gearboxes so motor shaft offset to prop shaft is different.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Jun 25, 2012, 07:28 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard View Post
The two stick holes are where you could specify either a 350 or 400 geared motor because the two have different sized gearboxes so motor shaft offset to prop shaft is different.
That splains it..

Maybe I'll tear into my Mosa1 and see how things line up, it has a small cowl opening.

Thanks..

OK took a look at the Mosa1 and the stick with the black plastic mount in the bottom hole looks like it would work. It lines up pretty close with the motor on the aluminum stick mount in the top hole... maybe just a coincidence.

Gotta remember this for the next time I destroy the top stick.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Last edited by bartricky; Jun 25, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,190 Posts
I think there is a photo in the manual of FW190 ( It s probably the only GWS manual I have read, instead, I came here for real world experience on mod, cg, etc.) showing the stock brushless motor mount being installed in the bottom slot as Bartricky showed....bottom hole if you refer

Also, I remember, in the GWS Zero thread, Mr. Lin from GWS recommended adding 3(?) degree down thrust for brushless motor if you'd rather not change the wing incidence angle. Anyway, I found that smaller planes are more sensitive to down/right thrust line while the bigger ones don't really care. I have a 55" fomie sporty plane and a 49" Balsa 3D plane that actually fly better without any thrust angle.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old Jun 26, 2012, 05:15 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartricky View Post
OK took a look at the Mosa1 and the stick with the black plastic mount in the bottom hole looks like it would work. It lines up pretty close with the motor on the aluminum stick mount in the top hole... maybe just a coincidence
Great pic of the motor mounts, that clears it up and confirms that the plastic GWS mounts line up to the cowl opening as well... using a different stick mount location.

I didn't even know there were 2 available stick mount locations on these kits until you mentioned it the other day. Then yesterday a handful of my GWS warbirds arrived and I noted they had the 2 stick locations too. Though my TM400 only has 1 stick mount location. But I'm stoked to learn that I can use the plastic mounts on the new arrivals as I like them motor mounts and have a ton of em.

It's tough to decide which one to build next! Am leaning towards the Corsair. If I ever finish my Moth build.