HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:40 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Well done on the maiden Bart, and Roger, that Cargotrans is looking good! I used a bit of control rod snake for my IFR probe, with the tip of a ball point pen stuck in the end. I think it looks good, but just to complicate things, the J and K versions of the RAF Hercules have different probes!!!!
I just had the single most enjoyable flying session of my life last night with my well used Cargotrans. I brought it with me to our family getaway caravan at the beach, and ran 4 batteries through it. There was not a breath of wind, the tide was out, and the beach was deserted apart from a few people out for an evening stroll. I drew myself a runway in the damp sand and spent an hour flying smooth circuits and scale touch and go's, even managing to keep the nose wheel just off the ground and do the length of my runway on the back wheels.
Please please please GWS, tell me the Cargotrans will be available in EPO soon so I can stock up on them!
davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:55 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Oh yeah, the Corsair came yesterday...time to get obsessed again. And with all the discussion on the C130 I'm reminded I haven't flown mine for some time now. Gotta get 'er down and charged up. If I recall, it was not particularly fond of any wind at all...tricky, since these days it seems to be windy *all* the time.

A quick shot of the Zero...battery is in the wrong spot (I moved it into the nose) and I have an 8040 3-blade prop on it. It's one sweet flying machine. The 2nd pic is a shot of what I did to compensate for the AoI problem, dropped the h-stab TE 5mm.
whowhatwhere is offline Find More Posts by whowhatwhere
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:22 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere View Post
It's one sweet flying machine. The 2nd pic is a shot of what I did to compensate for the AoI problem, dropped the h-stab TE 5mm.
Agree, everyone loves to watch my Zero fly.
I raised the LE of the h-stab for the same effect..
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:50 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhatwhere View Post
Hey folks,

Anyone know why there is no GWS glue in the kits these days? I got an E-Starter some months back and just got a Corsair, and neither had the glue.

BTW....finally built a Zero I had stashed away since '07, and it's awesome....I can't get enough of it.

Ric
The GWS Zero is an awesome flying plane. I have 2 and they are in the top 5 favorite planes that I own.

Here is 1 of my Zero's with a PZ T-28 BL motor @ 200 watts, this is a mild video but this plane gives new meaning to the words UV..in this video the Zero is flying in some strong wind..
GWS Zero with T-28 BL motor in wind (2 min 23 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:03 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Mine flies pretty good in the wind as well. I have an Emax BL2215/20 motor and a 3S 1000mAh pack. Flies a good long time....and it floats around with ease. Also installed wing servos and used balsa ailerons. I actually pulled off a couple of 3D moves...well, sorta kinda....but I was 150ft up!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:35 AM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
If I want to go with dual servos on my Corsair, should I place the servos on top of the wing? Are there any pros/cons besides if on the bottom, I'd have to add protection if I want to belly lander?
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:50 AM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Oh man I shouldn't have watched this. I guess I'm gonna have to order and build a Zero now, LOL!
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:16 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
If I want to go with dual servos on my Corsair, should I place the servos on top of the wing? Are there any pros/cons besides if on the bottom, I'd have to add protection if I want to belly lander?
I'll be putting them on the bottom. The wing seems sufficiently thick enough to accommodate them, and only the control horn will protrude. I wouldn't think there would be any problems mounting them on top...although I would ensure they are (at least) flush to the wing surface. My Super Cub has the control wires coming out of the top of the wing...no issues there.

But I haven't considered belly landing...I'm probably not the best person to answer that question.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 12:56 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
We're getting good news with the successful maidens. Congrats to you guys.

On my Mosa 1, my TowerPro 2409-12T w/ 9X5 and 1300mAh 3s 30C lipo was getting too hot after just 2 mins of mostly 75% throttle with a few burst of WOT. Could be weather related but I went ahead and threw in a Rhino 1250 mAh 2S 30C and "propped up" to a 10 x4.7 and lost a little speed but it also got floatier and I could fly slower without the warning rocking wings - the pending tip stall. it's 45 grams lighter with the smaller battery.
I'm going to kep the setup as it's more suited to a smaller flying field. I could come in and circle twice while losing altitude all the while flying in cirle 30 yards across. The setup still gets the motor hot but only after 4-5 mins.

Does anyone else out there fly on 2S and 10" prop and if so, don't you like the new feather-light feeling. When I go back to the 3S and 9X5, the Mosa 1 will feel like it's carrying armor like a heavy A-10 tank kiler.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:12 PM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Does anyone else out there fly on 2S and 10" prop and if so, don't you like the new feather-light feeling. When I go back to the 3S and 9X5, the Mosa 1 will feel like it's carrying armor like a heavy A-10 tank kiler.
On some of my planes I prefer 2S for the lighter floatier performance but not my Mosa, it's still my bigger field vertical spinning rocket.
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Jun 08, 2012, 12:02 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
The video I posted of the Zero was with 2 cells. That was when I first set it up. I now use a 3s 1350 30c lipo that makes about 200 watts with that T-28 motor and prop.. It will climb strait up as far as you can see..sorta like the plane in my avatar. The plane in my avatar is a World models Zero that is larger than the GWS Zero..The GWS Zero has way more power and is my Top Zero..better yet its the top Warbird in my collection as far as power to weight ratio. I would like to do the same conversion to the GWS Spitfire.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:26 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twn Chen View Post
Ric,

GWS glue has NOT been included in kit since 3 years ago, for cost reason mostly though they said lots of users did not give it any try.

Chen
I like the GWS glue, strong enough yet light compared to epoxy, easy to clean with rubbing alcohol even after cured, transparent as residue. One needs to learn two-minute patience, you just can't rush like using 5 minutes epoxy. Whenever I worked with smooth EPS foam, I would use GWS glue for moderate strength bonding.
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Old Jun 08, 2012, 08:21 AM
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303 View Post
I like the GWS glue, strong enough yet light compared to epoxy, easy to clean with rubbing alcohol even after cured, transparent as residue. One needs to learn two-minute patience, you just can't rush like using 5 minutes epoxy. Whenever I worked with smooth EPS foam, I would use GWS glue for moderate strength bonding.
I have several tubes of the stuff that I never used and never will. It takes too long to set and is fiddly. I prefer the 5 minute epoxy route. I would rather spend my free time flying then bonding foam so its really not about patience. I think GWS made a smart move by eliminating it from the ARF kits.

Here is one of the best GWS planes ever
GWS P-38..close in flying (2 min 25 sec)
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:16 AM
CA...gimme the CA...
Joined Jun 2005
493 Posts
modfly - I just sent you a PM.
Old Jun 08, 2012, 04:41 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts