HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2011, 04:05 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,885 Posts
My very first GWS RC Airplane kit!

September 14th, 2002 was the day that I brought out my very first GWS RC Airplane out to a place we all affectionately call "EDWARDS" due to the large concrete high school band practice area and looks like a miniature airport / research facility.

Yes, as a newbie, this was a very bad purchase and thank goodness the propeller was placed backwards and the model did not take-off but, did perform some fantastic taxi run tests!

Soon after these pictures, I just set it aside and trained with a GWS J3 Piper Cub that I bought soon after leaving!

I still have this GWS Japanese ZERO and it is still flight worthy!!!

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 11:32 AM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Nice looking Zero, Pitts

Making slow progress on the Beaver. Fuse halves are together and drying today - used Elmers on those. Scrounged up a set of aluminum landing gear - have no idea where they came from, but they will fit the Beaver well.

Before i glued the fuse halves, I sanded out the reg battery compartment to accept a vertical 3s lipo near the front of the compartment, and an "orange' spektrum receiver near the back of it. It should take either a 1300 or 1800 3s, and I will be able to see the reciever to make sure the light is solid

Am planning to use a HiMaxc 2025-4200 geared motor in this with 3s batteries. It should have plenty of "go" but still slow down nicely for scale flight - and I already had the motor - that always counts for a lot LOL.

It's been a while, but i seem to remember that a vertical battery placement was needed to help the CG.

Since this is a fuse and tail feather set without any wings, I may use different than normal Beaver wing. There is a yellow replacement foam wing available locally - not sure what plane it is from - but I am kind of interested in trying it since if it works, others could make Beavers as long as the fuse/tailfeather set remain available from BP. There is also a local builder who makes a plane with undercambered wings similar to the Beaver wings out of Depron foam, so I might just have him make a wing for the Beaver and see how it works.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Nov 08, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 03:09 PM
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
it'll have this much umph! thats what I used basically, same as you

gws Beaver...snow floats (0 min 48 sec)
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Nov 08, 2011, 05:24 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
I enjoyed your video - have not seen a Beaver fly in a very long time. Thanks for posting that

Changed the struts on the Stearman - I think I had them reversed - and added a center brace between wing and fuse top. She flew better, but is still pretty touchy - prone to pitch up or down.

Wolfe
Old Nov 08, 2011, 07:18 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
I took most of the dihedral outta that Beaver and added a spar and wingspan then sheated the bottom with foam....its nice but i think maybe it could use ailerons....wasn't too fond of turning right. Theres pics somewhere on here of the mods...I'll look later.
Old Nov 08, 2011, 08:35 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Probably won't turn too well without ailerons if the wing is too flat.

It could be that your push rods are bending inside the fuse when you are pushing instead of pulling the control surfaces, though. That happens a lot on GWS birds

Wolfe
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:10 PM
road wart
Joined Aug 2003
2,908 Posts
naw...its got good parts in it from other suppliers....just need to add the ailerons or be careful when flying it
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:24 PM
United States, IA, Newton
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
My GWS models

I have made these in the last 2 years. I use a lot of Hobby King electronics with my Spectrum DX5 TX. My favorite flyer is the AT6. I still have the 2 shown and another kit for the future. The Spitfire was fun, but less predictable in flight. Have sold a Spitfire and the Tiger Moth. Have been omitting landing gear and rudder control to fly like the ParkZone models and slide in on grass.
Park Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Park Pilot
Old Nov 08, 2011, 09:38 PM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilbanks96 View Post
Any one mind telling me how big of a 2 cell battery I should be using?? All I have is a 2s 1300 should I go bigger??
I think you bought my plane from Hobby Haven in Des Moines. I used a 3S Rhino 750 mah LiPo in it. Happy Flying!
Old Nov 09, 2011, 08:53 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,245 Posts
I'ver built about 7-8 GWS models over the years...I've even heard of people using a small glow engine in the ZERO.These usually build tail heavy anyway..don't they.?

It'd be interesting to use a OS .10 in a EPO ZERO.

GWS Zero converted to glow (5 min 24 sec)

gws zero 電改油tt07gp (1 min 4 sec)
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:01 AM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Hey thanks for the great deal! I am really happy with it. you said you flew 3s 750's? Thanks for telling me that I was wondering if she could do 3s. So what motor did you have in it? Again great plane and thanks for the additional info.
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:00 AM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Eps 350

I probably used the EPS 350. The ratio, B or C, would be printed on the larger prop gear. Maybe you could use a flashlight to read it behind the prop.
The GWS website has info for ratios. I do amp tests at full throttle to make sure my ESC and motor can handle it. I also save info on a spreadsheet file, but have already deleted that model info. I have about 22 fully outfitted models now. Wife thinks I've lost it!
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, IA, Greenfield
Joined Apr 2010
582 Posts
Thanks so much! now we will see what it can do with a 3s!
Lilbanks96 is offline Find More Posts by Lilbanks96
Old Nov 09, 2011, 11:46 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Pilot View Post
....................... I have about 22 fully outfitted models now. Wife thinks I've lost it!
Someone I knew who was a lifelong modeller announced to his wife that he was (finally) discarding three of them (that's three out of a lot).

His wife asked if she could have one. Delighted with the discovery that after many years of marriage his wife was finally showing an interest in his personal passion he offered her a choice of any one and explained, carefully and at length, the relative merits of each of the three. Eventually she selected one and carried it carefully out into the yard. where she set it gently on the ground.

She then jumped up and down on it for a full minute and walked back into the house saying "You have no idea how long I've been desperate to do that!"

Point made
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Nov 09, 2011, 12:01 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,885 Posts
Oh dear, lets not convert this thread into a GWS Bashing thread ;(
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member