HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 26, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Only weight I added was a 1320 battery.....it flies good....
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,551 Posts
Went through 3 packs with my Mosa2 today. I am still trying to get a feel for her (remember, i am on my 45th flight or so overall). I was mostly doing rolls and loops. On inverted I had to apply a decent amount of down elevator which i guess means i am too nose heavy. One thing was too much fun tough: going unlimited vertical while rolling at the same time...: It is a long weekend ahead, and at the moment this is my only plane (i know i know 2 more are on the way) so i was trying to be cautious...
arnav is offline Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; May 26, 2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbar101219 View Post
I'm thinking this one just to try out for only $14 shipped and I think it will work with my esc that i have
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.a...Location=MIAMI
The sk3536 1400 is a great motor, if My memeoy is corrent, drawing 37a with MAS 10x6, 3s 2200 20c, this about the biggest prop you can use and don't stay WOT too long. Pulling tons of power to my previous Tiansheng 190, a GWS copycat, that I had made a lot of reinforcements in her so the WUA was about 40oz. She flew very fast until the wing detached. The motor darted into the dirt but still worked well after basic clean up.

I only ordered once from leader hobby's HK warehouse. Included the FlySky 9ch and two motors. the delivery time is about a month. Beware that, unlike the motors sold through its Miami office, motors come from HK does not include mounting hardwares, neither the prop adaptor. I complaint and complaint and finally received one set of "motor assesories". Never got the second set. so I haves to order the x mount and prop adaptor from headsuprc.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old May 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
One thing was too much fun tough: going unlimited vertical while rolling at the same time...:...
Yes, I love that move too and heard "wow" every time I did it. Even though it is a much easier maneuver than invert flight.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old May 27, 2012, 01:19 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,551 Posts
Another day, another 4 packs. #2 was a rushed/emergency landing as the rudder was fluttering. The horn's hole was too big (it was originally made for the GWS wire with the z-bend but eventually I ended up using clevises so the hole was too big). No problem, it was a quick fix.

I rechecked the CG and it is on the spar. Inverted flight still requires quite a bit of down elevator. Should that not be the case? Should I move the CG somewhere else (forward I guess)?

I tried KE with my current rudder setting (low 30/ high 50) and it was not providing enough lift (perhaps unsurprisingly). The Plane maintained KE form but was sinking fast.... I'll try tomorrow with low 70 / high 100 and see if that makes a difference.

It was a great day. I was much more comfortable. On the 4th flight a buddy stood next to me summoning maneuvers on the fly which always makes it hard to concentrate but I am happy it went well. He said given how I fly the Mosa I will be bored with the 1400mm P-40 I just ordered but I have a theory that if you put a big enough motor on any Plane, it will be aerobatic...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 08:10 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Wassenaar
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
arnav,

you could try trimming first before moving the CG. When you're flying right side up, straight and level, side and you accelerate quickly (bang the stick all the way up) does it stay level or start climbing steeply?

If you're flying upside down an dyou need lots of down elevator to stay level, moving the battery forward or moving the CG forward will require even more down elevator.
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
Old May 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,551 Posts
Good mornning Leabres...

I will try tomorrow and report back. I am I suppose to balance her right side up or up side down? I did it right side up.

While we are on the topic, getting her to balance was a bit tricky. She kind of just seesawed there between nose heavy and tail heavy (vs. just pick one...) which I found odd.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 28, 2012, 12:27 AM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
use pencil erasers on the top of the sticks if you're using a homemade balancer like me.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
hmmm... mid wing I balance right side up but others may do it differently... not really sure if the Formosa is a true mid-wing.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
just saw these... once I get tired of my TowerPro 2409-12T in the Formosa, may try a 35mm motor with a mount like this...
the photos are not mine but are from the webpage
http://rc-bluesky.sakura.ne.jp/page021.html

For the Formosa 2, I ordered 3 plastic motormount mounts from Hobbyzone - the mounts for PKZ Mustang, Corsair, and Wildcat. They use 480 size, maybe even 10 or 15 size.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:51 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
just saw these... once I get tired of my TowerPro 2409-12T in the Formosa, may try a 35mm motor with a mount like this...
the photos are not mine but are from the webpage
http://rc-bluesky.sakura.ne.jp/page021.html

For the Formosa 2, I ordered 3 plastic motormount mounts from Hobbyzone - the mounts for PKZ Mustang, Corsair, and Wildcat. They use 480 size, maybe even 10 or 15 size.
Leabres, how did you make the thick ply firewall, glue several layers of them? I guess you must have implanted/glued several sticks between the firewall and the foam to hold the firewall, right?

That sakura page is in Japanese, translated using online translater?

Only thing missing for that mosa is an aluminum or nylon spinner, plenty to choose from in Hobbyking.

Were you using 2409-12 for Mosa 2? How much is the AUW then? 2409-12 with 8X4 prop give pretty good thrust (almost unlimited vertical) and decent speed with my 600g F6F hellcat.
edwen303 is online now Find More Posts by edwen303
Last edited by edwen303; May 28, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old May 28, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
Quote:
use pencil erasers on the top of the sticks if you're using a homemade balancer like me.
Pencil erasers on top of the two ears of my unused TV antenna? Thanks for your note, Leabres!
Old May 28, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
sorry, those photos of the Mosa 1 are not mine. I'm using the 2409-12T on my Mosa 1 but eventually it's gonna have to go. I've used 9 X 5 and 8 X 4 props with the motor but I want more brief hovering and longer duration verticals.

I don't think it's the right fit for the Mosa 1. For how I want to fly it, I need a slower KV and larger prop.

The AUW for the Mosa 1 including the 1300 mAh 3S battery = 507 grams.
Old May 28, 2012, 02:01 AM
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
Quote:
hmmm... mid wing I balance right side up but others may do it differently... not really sure if the Formosa is a true mid-wing.
Looks like the wing is a little toward the lower fuse? Is the battery right in the middle of fuse or a little higher like GWS Corsair?
Old May 28, 2012, 02:32 AM
Joined Jan 2010
394 Posts
Quote:
sorry, those photos of the Mosa 1 are not mine. I'm using the 2409-12T on my Mosa 1 but eventually it's gonna have to go. I've used 9 X 5 and 8 X 4 props with the motor but I want more brief hovering and longer duration verticals.

I don't think it's the right fit for the Mosa 1. For how I want to fly it, I need a slower KV and larger prop.

The AUW for the Mosa 1 including the 1300 mAh 3S battery = 507 grams.
Mosa 1 doesn't look like a 3D plane, control surfaces seems not big enough, wing area seems not too generous. How far you move the cg to make it tail heavy? Otherwise it will NOSE down from brief hover. To make her hover and stay, perhaps you can enlarge the rudder and elevator. It would be an interesting mod, not seen any in RCG yet.

2409-12 used to be my favorite motor until I found it drawing too much current and cooking my batteries. I tested 2409-12 with 9x5 prop, drawing over 30Amps! Hobbyking has some 9x3.8 prop, perhaps better for 3D. Towerpro 2409-18 is a better motor for 3D, 1000kv, over 200W (such as 10x6 prop or 11x5), pretty light, lighter than 35xx motors.