HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2012, 02:48 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
For a quick laugh from my early days of learning how to fly!
Destroyed GWS Pico Tiger Moth Early Noob Flights Total Wrecks Repaired Crashes Again! (0 min 44 sec)
TheLeabres is offline Find More Posts by TheLeabres
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Now I am using Towerpro 2409-18 (1000kv 200W) motor, 20A esc and 1000-1300mah battery. Using a 9x7.5 prop and half throttle, she took off at steep angle and then is very much dancing in the sky. Bigger battery is not a problem and makes her more stable in the wind. No rudder is installed yet. AUW is around 18 oz, a little heavy after all the paint and repair. She is actually a little nose heavy, but still very agile.

Tried 2409-12 1600kv motor, 8x6 prop, good speed and vertical but the poor little batteries got cooked at over 30 Amp draw and such small crowded battery compartment. I would prefer agility over speed.

I found that for hand launch, between prop diameter and prop pitch, larger diameter (more thrust) helps the launch.

The only issue I have for this corsair is the aileron torsion rod. I am using one HXT900 servo. Now the tension on one side of the aileron is so bad that it pulls the aileron out of the wing surface by as much as 1/4", and the hinge tape is partially unglued as a result. Nevertheless, she flew very stable, little aileron trim is needed.

450 size motor and 1000mah battery definitely would make Corsair rave. 20A esc would be safer.

Read about fliers making Corsair as rocket, with large spinners and something like 1000Watts

found a video and wonder how the pilot made it flying so fast with little amps:
Fast GWS Corsair, 400F Direct Drive (6 min 29 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Edwen,

What is your power setup and do you know the AUW w/battery on your Corsair? I haven't decided yet if I want to build light and nimble or go heavy and sluggish but speedy (450 size motor, large ESC, large batt). I'm leaning towards light - 50 gram or less on a BL motor, 12-15 amp ESC, 850 to 1000 mAh lipo. I'd rather sacrifice super fast enough for triple snap rolls as it goes vertical!
edwen303 is offline Find More Posts by edwen303
Old May 18, 2012, 04:47 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeabres View Post
Edwen,

What is your power setup and do you know the AUW w/battery on your Corsair? I haven't decided yet if I want to build light and nimble or go heavy and sluggish but speedy (450 size motor, large ESC, large batt). I'm leaning towards light - 50 gram or less on a BL motor, 12-15 amp ESC, 850 to 1000 mAh lipo. I'd rather sacrifice super fast enough for triple snap rolls as it goes vertical!
Checked caliberhobby and didn't see Corsair in EPO, but P51 and P40 are both EPO in stock.
Old May 18, 2012, 11:42 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Thanks for the info and helpful tips on your Corsair, much appreciated. The person who uploded that Corsair video says on his Youtube page that he is Fort Lupton, about 5,000' above sea level. Now we know why he needs less amps to fly faster in the thinner air and along with the cooler air probably makes his quality motor that much more efficient - no heat build up.
http://www.nitroplanes.com/40rcbrmofor3.html
The motor is out of stock but I wouldn't be interested in it anyway.

This one is a possibility, slightly heavier but tons more features with the extra gear combos to go for thrust or speed.

Himax 2015-5400 Brushless Power Geared Inrunner ON SALE $20 OFF!
http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Til-Its-Gone-62/rec/0

The one above that is the Himax HC2812 Series Outrunner Motor -
3 cell on 8 amps at 36 mph with a 10 X 8 prop.

Too me they're on the expensive side because I've already three new Exceed RC 400 motors with different KVs to experiment with but then again cheap price usually means cheap quality. The 450 Optima on my E-Starter has only about 250 flights and already I can tell it doesn't have the same power as new, even with a fresh 35C lipo. Then again I've been flying in 100+ F temps, maybe the magnets are cheap and the high heat caused some permanent magnetic loss? Haven't toated a motor yet but there's a first time for everything.
Old May 19, 2012, 12:26 AM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Cheap Hobbyking or Hobbypartz motors/escs are great for gaining flying and building skills. Can't argue with that!

Have a few Hobbypartz motors and they seem at least as good as hobbyking quality. Had not so good experience with their Skylipo batteries: running below their C rating, got too hot and performance dropped or puffed. Others in my field share similiar experience.

Bigger cowling like bigger props, thus lower kv might be better. I like 1000kv 2409-18 better than 1600kv 2409-12. Lower kv motor can be quieter too, like this morning my Corsair did.
Old May 19, 2012, 01:04 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Okay, I happen to have three 800 mAh 3S Skylipo 30 C lipos. They got noticeably weak after about 100 or 125 flights each and that was with good care, never below 3.7 per cell. So in my book, they're average, maybe a C minus, as far as quality. If they last 300 flights and perform like near new, I'd rate an A+ or five stars. The general rule it seems with lipos and BL motors is you get what you pay for.
Last edited by TheLeabres; May 19, 2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: clarification added
Old May 19, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Jan 2010
393 Posts
Many of us have good experience with Rhino batteries from hobbyking. Cost a little more than skylipo but last and perform better.
Old May 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,440 Posts
Yes Yes Yes, I did it! I finally finished my Mosa 2 and got to maiden her this AM as well as a second flight (only had a short time available). Man, I was nervous before hand. This is my second airplane (after the FMS SkyTrainer), first kit, and only my 45th flight overall.

Needed almost no trim (even despite not adding a 1 degree down and right thrust angles). I mostly circled around and did nothing fancy to get a feel for it. Loops are nice and big. Even on low rate she rolls and rolls until finally gravity takes over. You know of course I had to check if she can do unlimited vertical and of course she does . The funny thing is, is that I wasn't sure if I am going to have enough prop to ROG. Wanted 12" (which touched the ground), settled on 10", can probably get away with 11" (which will definitely cut some grass).

Such a pleasure to fly. I can't wait to practice aerobatics more extensively with it. I may build another to have in standby.

Here are some pre-maiden pics. I can't take credit for the design ("Chris F" for the fuse, and "wolw" for the wing's top). It needs a few touch-ups from when the tape pulled some paint but I decided not to jinx it and leave it as is until after the maiden.

Landing was not a problem. I was surprised, but I actually landed with zero throttle and just a few bursts an necessary.

No ground or min-CAM video yet. I need to decide where to best locate the min-CAM to avoid as much prop as possible).
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,227 Posts
That paintjob is way cool for the 'mosa! Enjoy
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old May 20, 2012, 08:03 PM
Scammers need to go!
Slidell, La
Joined Oct 2006
1,446 Posts
I guess I should have posted my questions here I started a thread on the slow stick that i'm going to venture into. I have owned a few other gws planes and have always wanted the slow stick! Well anyway, I plan to post my build here instead of the other thread

Missed gws planes:
pico stick
funny park (want another BAD!)
zero

I was searching for a good bl motor and I ended up going with the firepower 400 slofly (2830-09) outrunner from heads up. A 25amp red brick esc with a variety of different size props that I want to try. I actually only have a new wing set from the stick and all the rest on the way from millenium rc to complete it. I was planning to use 2 hs-65hb servos that I have laying around. Just don't know if they have enough umph to do the job. What are you guys using on the stick if you have one?

motor: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...fly/Categories
PilotDragonfly is offline Find More Posts by PilotDragonfly
Old May 20, 2012, 08:17 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
arnav,

what motor and ESC doyou have on that Mosa 2?

pilot dragon,

I use Exceed RC Alpha/Optima motors, experimented with 400 and 450 sizes, from 740 to 920 kv, props from 9X7.5 to 10X4.7.

I'm currently using the Aplha 450 890kv. With a 10X4.7 SF, it pulls 13 amps and 145 watts, more than enough to do all what's possible with the airframe - inside/outside loops, brief hovers, 3 seconds of vertical. Anything more powerful might tear the wings off.
Old May 20, 2012, 08:32 PM
I live my life 8oz at a time..
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,440 Posts
Here are the specs:

Rx: Spektrum AR8000
Motor: E-flite Power 15.
ESC: Exceed RC Proton 60A. I had really good experience with those.
BEC:
Exceed RC 8A UBEC.
Batteries: Turnigy 3000mah 30C.
Servos: 4 * NewPower 17G MG Digital.
LG: Corsair Plates + T-28 LG.
Hinges: I used the Dubro Nylon #116 as oppose to the GWS one.

Basically everything is double the size or the weight it should be..
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_dragonfly View Post
I was searching for a good bl motor and I ended up going with the firepower 400 slofly (2830-09) outrunner from heads up. A 25amp red brick esc with a variety of different size props that I want to try. I actually only have a new wing set from the stick and all the rest on the way from millenium rc to complete it. I was planning to use 2 hs-65hb servos that I have laying around. Just don't know if they have enough umph to do the job. What are you guys using on the stick if you have one?

motor: http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...fly/Categories
I have a turnigy 2830 kv 850 on my Zero. The specs of that motor is identical to FP 400 soft. Yes, it is soft, very soft. Only 100w with 1060 prop. Far away from advertised number(160w). Size up to 11x5.5 for 114w at WOT but got hot very fast. Hope that FP motor is different, but even at 100w it would be plenty of power for slow stick. Good news is that motor is dead silent.

Burn out another 25 amp esc and a 3s 1600 battery today. Both are brand new. The battery was a cheap one from eBay, BQY brand. Only one easy flight but one cell puffed and dead. I bought a couple of batteries from this brand to test them out, a 3s 2200 puffed at charging and eventually caught fire. A 3s 3300 still works fine even it is 2 oz lighter than the same capacity one from big brand. Never will buy another from them. I also have some skylipo and they work just fine. The esc was from Dynam. I put it in Spit with 2409-12t and GWS8060. Drew 24amp at wot but I only went wot for a few seconds. First flight was great, the second flight motor started "coughing" and then burn out.... Smoke came out under the heat shrink. Never had a problem with these cheap ESCs until recently. Burn out three ESCs in two weeks, one from Hobbyking, one from leaderhobby, and this one from Nitroplanes. Well, you got what you paid for.
Vince_TT is offline Find More Posts by Vince_TT
Old May 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
^^^ nice! based on this thread tho, watch out for hawks!!! They seem to really like Formosa's and E-starters
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old May 20, 2012, 09:21 PM
India, DL, New Delhi
Joined Sep 2010
820 Posts
Arnav,

You sure you didn't build a tank instead of the Mosa 2? You've got enough power to tow another Mosa 2 if you wanted to. You can always go to a 4S after you master flying her on 3S. Go vertical with twice the speed, lol!